Dvca - How Do We Make It Better?

Proposed playing dates only.

Finish on 22nd Dec
Return Jan 12
That's the most logical proposal, returning on the 5th is stupid and will have a major impact on clubs and selection.

As for the GF set up I think it should be as follows -

Mash - Considering 5 of the 8 clubs competing in Mash are based on and around Plenty Rd, Mernda C.C is the logical location, Mutual Ground
Money - Lower Eltham CC - Mutual Ground
Barclay -Eltham CC - Mutual Ground

Having MS and BS in close proximity allows people who want to have a look at both grades to go back and forth on both days, and also eliminates the chance of a club having a "Home Grown" advantage, whether or not it means anything or not.

That's the most logical proposal, returning on the 5th is stupid and will have a major impact on clubs and selection.

As for the GF set up I think it should be as follows -

Mash - Considering 5 of the 8 clubs competing in Mash are based on and around Plenty Rd, Mernda C.C is the logical location, Mutual Ground
Money - Lower Eltham CC - Mutual Ground
Barclay -Eltham CC - Mutual Ground

Having MS and BS in close proximity allows people who want to have a look at both grades to go back and forth on both days, and also eliminates the chance of a club having a "Home Grown" advantage, whether or not it means anything or not.

I was mores referring to the GF being over 2 weekends. I understand what the competition is trying to do but not sold that it has made much of a difference...

We've never played cricket on January 5. As I said last page, the first Saturday back after the Christmas break is the first Saturday after January 4, unless Jan 4 falls on a Friday, in that case it is the next Saturday.

Final Playing dates released

- x2 One Day fixtures for BS, MS.
- Round 1 October 6 (BS, MS 2 day game lower grades 1 day)
- One day round for all grades 3rd November (Derby Day)
- 22nd December last game before Xmas break
- 20 day break for the Xmas break
- Return on the 12th Jan
- Finals stay the same SF long weekend and GF the following 2 weeks.

Smart move making Derby Day a One Day fixture, I know our club suffers selection headaches every year this day comes around.

Final Playing dates released

- x2 One Day fixtures for BS, MS.
- Round 1 October 6 (BS, MS 2 day game lower grades 1 day)
- One day round for all grades 3rd November (Derby Day)
- 22nd December last game before Xmas break
- 20 day break for the Xmas break
- Return on the 12th Jan
- Finals stay the same SF long weekend and GF the following 2 weeks.

Smart move making Derby Day a One Day fixture, I know our club suffers selection headaches every year this day comes around.

How does that help selection issues though? Unless that round is going to be played on a Sunday, you're still going to have players going to the races and you can't pick them.

How does that help selection issues though? Unless that round is going to be played on a Sunday, you're still going to have players going to the races and you can't pick them.

I'm sure every clubs got its brigade of retired players, dads, young juniors, friends of friends who when needed are called upon to help the club out with a game or 2 during the summer. In the case of Derby Day, it's going to be a lot easier to get a replacement for 1 weekend rather than 2. For some clubs there is a large follow on effect on the lower grades it has if a senior player is missing, so it helps to have a couple of blokes on hand for 1 week if required.

- AGM was 2 weeks ago, nothing on the website about any changes published....
- NMCA have released their fixtures for 18/19 top grades + some reserve grades
- NMCA have an updated player clearance tab on their website

For the DVCA to be behind the NMCA in this department not good enough.

And waiting....waiting......waiting
Yes still waiting.
Once again DVCA have dropped the ball, no updates on their website since 1st August. I guess nothing is happening ??
Am I hearing right that a past President that bailed when the NCL failed is back in the fold again?
If so, why???

Yes still waiting.
Once again DVCA have dropped the ball, no updates on their website since 1st August. I guess nothing is happening ??
Am I hearing right that a past President that bailed when the NCL failed is back in the fold again?
If so, why???

Who are you referring to, past club president or comp?

I was told comp, but it is second hand and why I asked.
However I believe his origins were from your neck of the woods, so to speak.
So if its true, any idea why?

If you're referring to Tool (Maxwell) he ran the tribunal last year. No idea what role he has, if any.
Just to clarify, he didn't jump ship. Every club president was aware he wouldn't seek to continue after all the club presidents signed an agreement for the DVCA to stop exploring the NCL option. His time was up and was only going to stick around to see through what the executive started if the NCL option progressed.
David Love and Darren Ward were the two who made noise about taking over. Never happened. Apologies for going over old ground but still won't accept people who pot others yet refuse to step up to the plate themselves.

If you're referring to Tool (Maxwell) he ran the tribunal last year. No idea what role he has, if any.
Just to clarify, he didn't jump ship. Every club president was aware he wouldn't seek to continue after all the club presidents signed an agreement for the DVCA to stop exploring the NCL option. His time was up and was only going to stick around to see through what the executive started if the NCL option progressed.
David Love and Darren Ward were the two who made noise about taking over. Never happened. Apologies for going over old ground but still won't accept people who pot others yet refuse to step up to the plate themselves.
I am not potting anyone, I just asked if a past President, and yes what I heard was it was Maxwell, was back in the fold again after he walked away when the NCL failed, vowing not to return.
As for the others you mention, I have absolutely no idea.
Thanks for your replies but still unknown if he is or isn't back on the DVCA which was my question.

I am not potting anyone, I just asked if a past President, and yes what I heard was it was Maxwell, was back in the fold again after he walked away when the NCL failed, vowing not to return.
As for the others you mention, I have absolutely no idea.
Thanks for your replies but still unknown if he is or isn't back on the DVCA which was my question.

Poorly worded, wasn't referring to you, was talking about other club presidents who were the main offenders.

He's not part of the current executive according to the website, I'd say he's still running tribunal hearings. We agree on one thing, the lack of updates on the web page is a poor look IMO. Should be utilising that and social media to get people excited about cricket being just around the corner

Poorly worded, wasn't referring to you, was talking about other club presidents who were the main offenders.

He's not part of the current executive according to the website, I'd say he's still running tribunal hearings. We agree on one thing, the lack of updates on the web page is a poor look IMO. Should be utilising that and social media to get people excited about cricket being just around the corner
In fairness, Darren Ward is on the DVCA Executive, last year was his first year on.
For what my opinion is worth, Maxwell was a far better President than the present so its not a bad thing at all if he is back in the fold. I just wondered why when he did vow never to return.

Couldn't agree with you more, its the responsibility of the exec to promote the competition and the website and social media is the "NOW" of doing that yet sadly nothing is happening.

Maybe they may read this and wake up.

For what it’s worth Lovey and Wardy never made noises about taking over, their noises were about the DVCA merging with the other two comps and how it was a bad idea, of which everybody around the comp except a couple of members of the executive agree. All clubs went to a meeting which they arranged. It was never about them potting the then President but about protecting our comp. it was unanimous that all clubs agreed it shouldn’t happen, never didn’t they have any intention of taking over and your assumption that they were going to and that they potted Maxwell is way off the mark.

For what it’s worth Lovey and Wardy never made noises about taking over, their noises were about the DVCA merging with the other two comps and how it was a bad idea, of which everybody around the comp except a couple of members of the executive agree. All clubs went to a meeting which they arranged. It was never about them potting the then President but about protecting our comp. it was unanimous that all clubs agreed it shouldn’t happen, never didn’t they have any intention of taking over and your assumption that they were going to and that they potted Maxwell is way off the mark.

You must have been at a different presidents meeting to me then.....

You must have been at a different presidents meeting to me then.....
Wouldn’t have thought so, as I was present at Plenty’s rooms that night as well. As I was also at the sub committee meeting that was held after it of which you weren’t present. At no time did they ever mention they wanted to take over or get involved in the Executive. I spoke to Mark many times by phone and his intention was to leave the Exec if the NCL move didn’t get up. That was his choice and was never potted into leaving or force to leave. He by the way is a terrific bloke and a fantastic DVCA person who always put the comp first. However regarding the NCL proposal he and Mick Atkins were pretty much on there own as far as wanting it to happen. Remember the Clubs vetoed the proposal as its there competition and the President at the time misread the situation.

Wouldn’t have thought so, as I was present at Plenty’s rooms that night as well. As I was also at the sub committee meeting that was held after it of which you weren’t present. At no time did they ever mention they wanted to take over or get involved in the Executive. I spoke to Mark many times by phone and his intention was to leave the Exec if the NCL move didn’t get up. That was his choice and was never potted into leaving or force to leave. He by the way is a terrific bloke and a fantastic DVCA person who always put the comp first. However regarding the NCL proposal he and Mick Atkins were pretty much on there own as far as wanting it to happen. Remember the Clubs vetoed the proposal as its there competition and the President at the time misread the situation.

Fkn oath he was potted, he and Mick were accused of self interest rather than representing the clubs. If more club decision makers were present at the earlier delegates meeting rather than sending people just to get the book signed we would've never have got to this stage. Anyway, long time ago now and these discussions have been had before, ultimately clubs have the final say as they should

As for the thread topic, biggest challenge in making the comp better is to continue to attract quality people to the executive. Hard enough to get it at club level where people are invested. Not sure there's an easy answer

Back