1st Test: South Africa vs West Indies at Port Elizabeth

Re: 1st Test: South Africa vs West Indies at Port Elizabeth

Ljp86;199920 said:
Pretty reckless stuff from South Africa. They're going at almost five runs per over but they've lost four wickets.

I don't think they will be out there long enough to make a dent, unless things change, and quick!!

Ljp86;199920 said:
.. full credit to the West Indies, they've really come to play, the batters and bowlers are fully switched on and they are here to win.

Hopefully, for the Windies, this is the start of the "new" era, which should be a return to the "old" era. 2007 was not kind to them. In fact, the past few years haven't been that kind.

Ljp86;199920 said:
AB de Villiers in now, he and Ashwell Prince have a lot of work to do.

well, so far so good, couple of 4's a piece, so lets see how long this lasts.

Day is starting to wind down. 104/5. I expected more from South Africa, but I also expected less from WI, so I guess it evens out. Maybe the Windies grab another wicket before close of play, lets see.

Sensational effort by the Windies today, Powell was spot on every ball for a very long spell and Edwards bowled brilliantly without luck. The way things are going I can't see SA being able to to anything much from here.

Diamond Joe Quimby;199923 said:
I don't think they will be out there long enough to make a dent, unless things change, and quick!!

Well, they lost anther wicket. With no Pollock in the line-up, de Villiers and Boucher will have to score the bulk of the runs. Harris can bat a bit but the rest aren't known for hanging around too long.

Diamond Joe Quimby said:
Hopefully, for the Windies, this is the start of the "new" era, which should be a return to the "old" era. 2007 was not kind to them. In fact, the past few years haven't been that kind.

I said that a while ago after some good performances but the Windies went back to their old habits. This performance is great so far but they'll need to keep it up for the rest of the test and this tour. Only then can people talk about the Windies turning things around.

Diamond Joe Quimby said:
well, so far so good, couple of 4's a piece, so lets see how long this lasts.

Prince hung the bat out at one and was caught at second slip. Lacking discipline with the bat South Africa, they have a lot of work to do to try and get this game level again. Daren Powell has been impressive with the ball.

Lunchtime. 192/8, here is the out:
58.5 Bravo to Harris, OUT, gone on the stroke of lunch! Harris gets back to a shortish delivery, in no real position to go for this shot however, and tries to force it off the back foot but ends up spooning a catch to Taylor, diving forward at mid-off
PL Harris c Taylor b Bravo 9 (100m 68b 0x4 0x6) SR: 13.23

Quick wickets, VERY quick wickets, and the Windies can force.

195/9, 13 runs needed to avoid a follow on..
60.3 Bravo to Nel, OUT, quick strike after lunch, as Nel shimmies across the stumps and clips a fullish ball from middle and off straight to Ganga at mid-on, who takes a simple catch
A Nel c Ganga b Bravo 16 (26m 18b 2x4 0x6) SR: 88.88

Decisions, decisions...
195/10
62.1 Bravo to Steyn, OUT, but not today! Steyn comes dancing down, Bravo sees him and pitches short, Steyn gets under it and gets a top-edge down to fine leg, Ramdin runs after it but its that man Powell who calls for it and takes another well-judged catch to bring out the end of South Africa's innings

A lethal Herschelle Gibbs direct hit catches Daren Ganga just short of his crease.

3/122, a lead of 335 for West Indies with about 18 overs remaining today.

Wow. Stepped away and I came back to this:
West Indies 408 & 146/8, South Africa 195 West Indies lead by 359 runs with 2 wickets Thought the WI bats would do more damage than that, but it is still a tough target for South Africa.

Taylor made 22 as West Indies were bowled out for 175, that gave them a lead of 388.

Once more, another poor showing from the South African top order. Gibbs went for a duck with Smith, Amla and Prince all falling pretty cheaply. A big partnership formed between Kallis and de Villiers but that all ended after a shocking decision from Russell Tifflin saw Kallis caught behind for 85. Replays show that Kallis didn't hit the ball.

Fidel Edwards is the chief destroyer with 3/24. Taylor and Powell have th other two wickets.

So South Africa are 5/165, de Villiers is 43 and Bouncer is 5 not out. South Africa still need 224 runs to win with five wickets in hand.

I was about to post an update. You know, all of a sudden this doesn't seem like a sure thing. Slow and steady had proved to be a good strategy, much better than what we saw in the first innings.

Back