2014/2015 Money Shield

My tip for the semis:

Eltham vs Heidelberg
Lalor Stars vs Mernda

Tipping an Eltham vs Mernda final.

I think you're pretty much on the money here. I think Lalor v Mernda should be a cracker. Being at Lalor, and knowing they can score at the rate of knots out there vs the strong Mernda attack. Could make for interesting viewing.

Cat amongst the pidgeons. Both Lalor and Mernda setting up outright chances. Heidelberg setting up for a loss. Makes for very interesting last 3 weeks!

Cat amongst the pidgeons. Both Lalor and Mernda setting up outright chances. Heidelberg setting up for a loss. Makes for very interesting last 3 weeks!

Could you get a more insipid performance from Lower Plenty? All out for 59 and at one stage the opposition were 0/240.

Completely changes the whole look of the 4.

Could you get a more insipid performance from Lower Plenty? All out for 59 and at one stage the opposition were 0/240.

Completely changes the whole look of the 4.

Could have been worse! At one stage Lower Plenty were 6/6.

The experiment of getting a non-playing coach has clearly failed and you've got to wonder how much longer Kelsey is going to keep playing there.

Lower Plenty's 2nd XI is in D Grade, so its a big jump to be promoted from the 2nds and find yourself playing a team, Mernda, that two season's ago finished sixth in Barclay Shield. It shows that the grading structure can make things very hard for some clubs.

The future is not looking too bright for the Lower boys.

Could have been worse! At one stage Lower Plenty were 6/6.

The experiment of getting a non-playing coach has clearly failed and you've got to wonder how much longer Kelsey is going to keep playing there.

Lower Plenty's 2nd XI is in D Grade, so its a big jump to be promoted from the 2nds and find yourself playing a team, Mernda, that two season's ago finished sixth in Barclay Shield. It shows that the grading structure can make things very hard for some clubs.

The future is not looking too bright for the Lower boys.

You can't blame the grading on it. Lower Plenty having their ones and twos so far apart is their own fault. If their twos were in say B Grade, they'd lose outright week in, week out and we'd blame the structure again.

They need some drastic changes down there. There's ability there, they need help. And bar Kelsey, they get little or no support from older wiser players. They need to invest very wisely in some seasoned cricketers with a focus on development.

I wonder if a Lower Plenty/Mont merger could/would ever get off the ground?

You can't blame the grading on it. Lower Plenty having their ones and twos so far apart is their own fault. If their twos were in say B Grade, they'd lose outright week in, week out and we'd blame the structure again.

They need some drastic changes down there. There's ability there, they need help. And bar Kelsey, they get little or no support from older wiser players. They need to invest very wisely in some seasoned cricketers with a focus on development.

I wonder if a Lower Plenty/Mont merger could/would ever get off the ground?

I'm not saying that Lower Plenty aren't to blame for their two's being in D Grade, but if you're a young batsman that makes a 50 in D Grade, its a big jump to face Baker next game!

There has been talk of the two clubs merging over the years, but there is a bit of mutual hatred/dislike there. A merged club would be massive though - 10 seniors, 3 vets and 17 junior sides combined this season.

I'm not saying that Lower Plenty aren't to blame for their two's being in D Grade, but if you're a young batsman that makes a 50 in D Grade, its a big jump to face Baker next game!

There has been talk of the two clubs merging over the years, but there is a bit of mutual hatred/dislike there. A merged club would be massive though - 10 seniors, 3 vets and 17 junior sides combined this season.
I doubt whether the 2 clubs would ever merge. I thought a good fit years back would have been Lower and Viewbank. Viewbank ended up running out of players and had a sabbatical for a year, before starting up again this year. Perhaps with the parting of those players that left a couple of seasons back, they have cut of their nose despite their face. In talking to some of those who left and current teammates from clubs they are now at, perhaps the issues were not as straight forward as some have stated.

I doubt whether the 2 clubs would ever merge. I thought a good fit years back would have been Lower and Viewbank. Viewbank ended up running out of players and had a sabbatical for a year, before starting up again this year. Perhaps with the parting of those players that left a couple of seasons back, they have cut of their nose despite their face. In talking to some of those who left and current teammates from clubs they are now at, perhaps the issues were not as straight forward as some have stated.

Although mernda and lalor are probably favorites you can't underestimate eltham. They bowl the most even with Ryan, Wilson and Donaldson playing more than serviceable support to Gibbs. Whilst their batting depth hasn't really been tested.

Although mernda and lalor are probably favorites you can't underestimate eltham. They bowl the most even with Ryan, Wilson and Donaldson playing more than serviceable support to Gibbs. Whilst their batting depth hasn't really been tested.
Your very optimistic Shaun, with Lalor and Mernda already obliterating their opposition Eltham are now more likely to finish 3rd.
Big ask from there having to beat possibly both Mernda and Lalor in consecutive games, but hey if they are good enough its there for them.

Eltham will still be thinking outright this week I'm sure. Perhaps they should have gone harder in their 18 overs on saturday but probably just wanted the 6 first. Every chance to bundle out NE for 60-100 in a second innings.

It's a 3 horse race, and favourites for mine Lalor and Eltham. Mernda always a chance to be bundled out for 100.

Pointy end of the season begins.

Heidelberg saved by the rain, by the looks of it they just survived a spirited effort from MP, MP stiff not to get a win for their efforts clearly the better team in the match. Hberg will want to be much better than that this weekend against Banyule, finals berth on the line..

Battle for the top 3 should be interesting.

Who we tipping between Heid v Ban to make up the final spot in the 4?
Neither team can chase so whoever bats first for mine.

Banyules 230 odd will be too much for Heidelberg, was always going to be a battle of the bat and if i was a betting man i'd back Banyule to roll them. They were 7 down at the end of the 80 one would think you could have gotten a few more runs with those wickets in hand, just to completely sure up the match.

Could be a very interesting final day tomorrow, you would think that Stars, Mernda and Eltham would be chasing 10pts and atm are all in a good position to do so and maybe avoid facing 1 of those 3 in the semi and if Greensborough can get 10pts and Banyule win they can sneak in.

Could be a very interesting final day tomorrow, you would think that Stars, Mernda and Eltham would be chasing 10pts and atm are all in a good position to do so and maybe avoid facing 1 of those 3 in the semi and if Greensborough can get 10pts and Banyule win they can sneak in.
Greensborough couldn't jag 10 points from where they are, even if Mont had Amir and Cronje playing for them. They'd have Make the runs in about 30 overs, bowl them out in 30 overs and chase it. Would need a very willing opposition.

Greensborough couldn't jag 10 points from where they are, even if Mont had Amir and Cronje playing for them. They'd have Make the runs in about 30 overs, bowl them out in 30 overs and chase it. Would need a very willing opposition.

Funnier things have happened on the last day of a season especially with maybe some barrels or slabs on offer.

Hats off to Eltham, with Mernda breathing down their neck to finally get an outright and finish top is a great effort.
Again think the 2 v 3 semi of Lalor v Mernda will be a cracker with some very entertaining cricket. Since xmas Lalor won 2 outright and just missed another, Mernda 1 outright and just missed one. These two may both be going for outright in a semi against each other !!!! ;)

Back