2015/2016 Barclay Shield Thread

What i am saying is one is a choice the other is not, whether you wear a sunscreen or a helmet is upto you, you are well aware of the risk when you choose not to wear it. Being forced to play in 40 degrees in a team game is not, sure you could stay at home but then you will look like a bad sport if you dont turn up, hence the comp was looking out for everyone.

No one is forcing anyone to play. As you just pointed out, you have the choice to stay home or you could make yourself unavailable at selection before the game even starts by looking at the weather forcasts, so I don't see the issue. You can't have it both ways.

Really, did you just equate physical violence and the restriction of civil liberties to playing cricket when it gets a bit hot? It's just not relevant.

You can get heat stroke or be dehydrated at 30C, it doesn't have to be 40 or over. I know, I suffered it once because I didn't drink enough before the game. You're not just going to keel over and die of a heart attack because you're playing a sport in hot weather. Actually, it's quite the opposite. In the UK, they found that heart attacks went up 53% in winter and there were twice as many heart attacks per day in January (their winter) than in July. The cold is far more dangerous than the heat.

You are far more likely to suffer a serious injury or death due to the ball or your actions on the field, than you are to die of a heart attack. A while back they did some investigation into cricket injuries and in Australia, there were 24.2 injuries per 10,000 playing hours. Just this year, I've seen; stress fractures, one torn hamstring, one strained hamstring, two stuffed backs, a broken arm and a fractured eye socket, the latter of which could have been a life threatening injury if it had struck just an inch back.

I am unaware of any player in the DVCA dying of a heart attack brought on by playing in hot weather. However, I think it's safe to say that before the heat rule, players weren't dropping off the perch on any type of regular basis due to warm playing conditions. If we are so concerned for player safety, then why do we stop with the heat rule and not continue and implement a helmet rule for all batsman? Being hit in the head and seriously injured or killed, is far more likely than dying because of ambient air temperature.
If you want to play so badly then go down to Northcote or Fitzroy and play with them.

I don't care what stats you pull out the only way this game can grow is if people are enjoying playing it. There ain't too many who are going to enjoy playing in such hot temperatures. This is club cricket and right behind player safety is player enjoyment. Whilst it may be safe for most I doubt many actually will enjoy it.

So it's not about safety at all, it's about "enjoyment"? It's still soft, however you want to justify it.
I said enjoyment is right behind player safety...
Would you be calling it soft if a player or umpire had heat stroke or heart attack on the weekend?
It's club cricket. We aren't playing for sheepstations you peanut

I said enjoyment is right behind player safety...
Would you be calling it soft if a player or umpire had heat stroke or heart attack on the weekend?
It's club cricket. We aren't playing for sheepstations you peanut

That's called an appeal to emotion, you've thrown in an ad hominem and offering a hypothesis contrary to fact. At the point where you can no longer offer rebuttals to the points I make and facts I present as you descend into logical fallacies, the discussion is over.

That's called an appeal to emotion, you've thrown in an ad hominem and offering a hypothesis contrary to fact. At the point where you can no longer offer rebuttals to the points I make and facts I present as you descend into logical fallacies, the discussion is over.
An appeal to emotion?
It's just a question, which you were not willing to answer.
The majority of our umpires are 50+ and many suffering medical conditions. Similarly players in lower grades are largely either older blokes or young juniors.
The league have done the right thing and protected the main stakeholders within our association, the players and umpires.

An appeal to emotion?
It's just a question, which you were not willing to answer.
The majority of our umpires are 50+ and many suffering medical conditions. Similarly players in lower grades are largely either older blokes or young juniors.
The league have done the right thing and protected the main stakeholders within our association, the players and umpires.

Ah, shotgun argumentation and argumentum ad auctoritate....as I said, further discussion with you is pointless unless you offer direct counters to my points.

If you want to play so badly then go down to Northcote or Fitzroy and play with them.

I don't care what stats you pull out the only way this game can grow is if people are enjoying playing it. There ain't too many who are going to enjoy playing in such hot temperatures. This is club cricket and right behind player safety is player enjoyment. Whilst it may be safe for most I doubt many actually will enjoy it.

Premier Cricket called off their third and fourth grades at 10am on Saturday morning. If it's good enough for Premier Cricket then why didn't the DVCA follow suit?

Premier Cricket called off their third and fourth grades at 10am on Saturday morning. If it's good enough for Premier Cricket then why didn't the DVCA follow suit?

This is quite simple, and I am amazed that so many people have a view on it.

The DVCA simply followed the rules that have been set up by the competition and voted on by the clubs.
Somewhere along the line of history a rule needed to be written to ensure the safety of players and umpires is met.
This rule was written, voted on and implemented.
Yes, we could all see that it was going to be well over 38 degrees for the majority of the day on Saturday, and play was unlikely, but could you imagine if a Melbourne style cool change whipped through at 1.45pm, after all games had been called off at 11am, or earlier.
Sides that looked like winning, Bundoora, Riverside, Research, Heidelberg (likely to have got 10) Panton Hill, would all then be screaming that the games were called off.

A rule is written for a reason, and hindsight and common sense can not come in to play.
I would now expect a club (or two) to re write and put a rule change proposal forward.

This is quite simple, and I am amazed that so many people have a view on it.

The DVCA simply followed the rules that have been set up by the competition and voted on by the clubs.
Somewhere along the line of history a rule needed to be written to ensure the safety of players and umpires is met.
This rule was written, voted on and implemented.
Yes, we could all see that it was going to be well over 38 degrees for the majority of the day on Saturday, and play was unlikely, but could you imagine if a Melbourne style cool change whipped through at 1.45pm, after all games had been called off at 11am, or earlier.
Sides that looked like winning, Bundoora, Riverside, Research, Heidelberg (likely to have got 10) Panton Hill, would all then be screaming that the games were called off.

A rule is written for a reason, and hindsight and common sense can not come in to play.
I would now expect a club (or two) to re write and put a rule change proposal forward.

Premier Cricket has a similar "Heat Policy"":
"Extreme Heat
It shall be the responsibility of each Club Administration Manager (or his/her nominee) to monitor on a half-hourly basis, current temperatures via the Bureau of Meteorology website or 1196 weather information line. Should the current temperature reach 42 degrees, play shall be suspended immediately at that club's home grounds. The temperature shall be monitored. Play shall not resume until the temperature falls below 41 degrees.

The current temperatures provided on 1196 will apply as follows:
Scoresby: Dandenong, Haw-Monash Uni, Central Reserve, Casey-SM, Ringwood.
Viewbank: Plenty Valley, Fitzroy Doncaster
Geelong: Geelong
Ballarat: Napoleons/Sebastopol
Frankston: Frankston Peninsula
Laverton: Melton
Melbourne Airport: Greenvale Kangaroos, EMP, Brunswick Park, Coburg
Melbourne: All other clubs and venues

Notwithstanding the above, the umpires shall have the powers to abandon or suspend play at any time at their discretion.

No person is forced by Cricket Victoria to participate in any match and Clubs shall place no pressure on any participant if he/she considers withdrawing from any part of a match for health reasons."

However, they used common sense as there was no cool change forecast or due. When it is 38 degrees at 10.30am ith no cool change forecast or due, surely common sense prevails???

Blackhawk the way that you're arguing this so strongly tells me that your one probably one of those blokes that stands in slip/ gully for a whole day without having to run more than a couple of times a day . You need to spare a thought for the bowlers that have to run in all day in these conditions and then most likely have to go field on the fence between spells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackhawk the way that you're arguing this so strongly tells me that your one probably one of those blokes that stands in slip/ gully for a whole day without having to run more than a couple of times a day . You need to spare a thought for the bowlers that have to run in all day in these conditions and then most likely have to go field on the fence between spells.

Yep, these days a slip and gully fielder, however that isn't a determining factor on my opinion. I'd still be willing to get out there with the bat. I've batted and kept wickets in 40+ before we had a heat rule. Hell, as a junior I use to keep in the mornings then sometimes have to keep in the seniors and I never had a heart attack or fell into a coma or whatever other crap people want to come up with.

That didn't happen. Looking at the thirds and fourths there were results across the board. Indeed there was an article in the paper about 54 yr old Merv hughes and his 18 and 14 year old sons running around for footscray edgewater's fourths in the heat on Saturday.

I think the DVCA has one of the more transparent and better heat policy. I just think 38C is too low, particularly for Barclay and Money

That didn't happen. Looking at the thirds and fourths there were results across the board. Indeed there was an article in the paper about 54 yr old Merv hughes and his 18 and 14 year old sons running around for footscray edgewater's fourths in the heat on Saturday.

I think the DVCA has one of the more transparent and better heat policy. I just think 38C is too low, particularly for Barclay and Money

My apologies, you are correct. I got my wires crossed. It was the VSDCA 3rds and 4ths that were called off in the morning. Despite this, only the elite level of cricket played on Saturday afternoon, that being Premier Cricket. Elite cricketers trained to the nth degree. Not back yard plodders like most of us.

Back