2015/2016 Barclay Shield Thread

The DVCA are pleased to announce the grounds for the above Grand Finals.

Barclay Shield - Waterview South (Main Ground) - Mernda Cricket Club

Money Shield - Lower Eltham - Lower Eltham Cricket Club

B Grade - Yulong Park - Bundoora Cricket Club

The DVCA are pleased to announce the grounds for the above Grand Finals.

Barclay Shield - Waterview South (Main Ground) - Mernda Cricket Club

Money Shield - Lower Eltham - Lower Eltham Cricket Club

B Grade - Yulong Park - Bundoora Cricket Club

Why wouldn't they play Money Shield on the other Waterview oval??. Makes no sense to me. Easily the best two grounds in the comp. The two leading grades couldn't be further away from one another.

Why wouldn't they play Money Shield on the other Waterview oval??. Makes no sense to me. Easily the best two grounds in the comp. The two leading grades couldn't be further away from one another.

The top team in Money Shield is Eltham, and 3 of the top 4 teams are only a few kilometers from Lower Eltham's ground. Makes sense to me.

Imagine an Eltham/Lower Plenty v North Eltham grand final in Mernda. That might make you happy, but no one else!

The top team in Money Shield is Eltham, and 3 of the top 4 teams are only a few kilometers from Lower Eltham's ground. Makes sense to me.

Imagine an Eltham/Lower Plenty v North Eltham grand final in Mernda. That might make you happy, but no one else!

Still think watching the two top grades at the one location is a win win for all!.

People have short memories, it's been done before and it was shite. The best two grounds should be used.

I'm actually surprised by the rankings.
I like the Barclay at Eltham. Pretty good locality, accessible by train, the grounds in good condition and atmosphere is good. Don't think I'll be travelling to Mernda. Will probably head down to Lower Eltham. Just one thing Tongs.......no JW in the fridge at the Panthers today, be good if you could rectify for when I next visit:thumbsu:

I like the Barclay at Eltham. Pretty good locality, accessible by train, the grounds in good condition and atmosphere is good. Don't think I'll be travelling to Mernda. Will probably head down to Lower Eltham. Just one thing Tongs.......no JW in the fridge at the Panthers today, be good if you could rectify for when I next visit:thumbsu:

Agree, Eltham still the place for me.

Interesting that they've gone with 2 new pitches and 1 all weather.

I reckon Macleod wouldn't be too disappointed with the venue..........................

Not sure that the premier grade grand final should be played on a surface that the majority of teams in the grade (9 of 12) do not play on each week.

Not sure that the premier grade grand final should be played on a surface that the majority of teams in the grade (9 of 12) do not play on each week.
Does it really matter though? Its just synthetic in the end. As long as the pitch is consistent, the players will be good enough to adapt. Diamond Creek won outright at Mernda this season.

I think the game should take place at Eltham, purely as a convenience factor for both sets of supporters. DC would then have a train running effectively from DC's club rooms to Eltham's.

That said, I'm a fan of home grand finals. Makes for a better atmosphere.

Does it really matter though? Its just synthetic in the end. As long as the pitch is consistent, the players will be good enough to adapt. Diamond Creek won outright at Mernda this season.

I think the game should take place at Eltham, purely as a convenience factor for both sets of supporters. DC would then have a train running effectively from DC's club rooms to Eltham's.

That said, I'm a fan of home grand finals. Makes for a better atmosphere.

Agreed, reckon all finals should be played on the higher ranked team of the day.
If you have earnt the right to host a final, then you should reap the rewards. (only proviso is that the grounds should be the Club's main A grade grounds or equivalent facilities where possible)

Happy Bundoora are hosting a final at Yulong... hopefully good earner for us, but really what we do to deserve it...?
Had a lucky winter with low rain fall and the council have kept the ground in good nick.

The results over the weekend were, as they say, "good for cricket". Grand Final will be a ripper if Macleod's batsmen come to play rather than just chew up balls.

Whilst a team dropping $40k+ (surely?) on players sneaking into finals and being beaten first up should mean some serious soul searching goes on, more likely it will be navel gazing from what I saw late Saturday afternoon. Luke, Nick, Chris and Brent are all good guys, and I'm sure they're terrific clubmen as well, but in reality, Chris was the only one who even went close to justifying his pay packet this season. Less than 30 wickets between Luke and Nick means a very, very low ROI. Will the chequebook open again for a batsman or two next season? Nick Ross perhaps?

The results over the weekend were, as they say, "good for cricket". Grand Final will be a ripper if Macleod's batsmen come to play rather than just chew up balls.

Whilst a team dropping $40k+ (surely?) on players sneaking into finals and being beaten first up should mean some serious soul searching goes on, more likely it will be navel gazing from what I saw late Saturday afternoon. Luke, Nick, Chris and Brent are all good guys, and I'm sure they're terrific clubmen as well, but in reality, Chris was the only one who even went close to justifying his pay packet this season. Less than 30 wickets between Luke and Nick means a very, very low ROI. Will the chequebook open again for a batsman or two next season? Nick Ross perhaps?
I'd suggest Salm has justified his pay packet. 420 @ 38 and 28 wickets @ 12. Would have to go close in the medal. As you'd expect from a guy who was in last years Premier Team of the year.

Agree with your point that their side is unbalanced. I'll ignore the 20+ incorrect predictions of made this season and leave the following below:

Cheers - Nostradamus

Absolutely no team is a lock. Riverside have recruited well, but if they play a side in the semi and that side puts on 100+ look out.

Just for the record Brent hasn't been paid a cent in 4 years! Although good enough to be a paid player at any club, just hate it when people assume every decent player plays for money.

Eltham best grand final venue without doubt, surface not as good as a few at the moment but facilities and atmosphere are just as important. Won't be going to Mernda either. No seating, no shade, ground to big, wind will be howling and atmosphere will be zero. The Exec obviously haven't learn from the Lakes experiment. Be at lower with Brutal I think.

Back