4-day Points System

Which points system should we use in the 4-day competition?

• Pura Cup

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • English County

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Intercontinental Cup

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
W

Wilbix

4-day Points System

Seeing as how the league is undergoing a renaissance, I thought this would be a good time to consider the points system we use for the 4-day competition. The 1-day is more or less straightforward, 4 points for a win, 2 for a tie, and that's that. With a 4-day it is more challenging to come up with a points system that truly reflects which team is the best over the course of a match or season. I'd like to get some input from all of you, so I'm having a poll. I've outlined the options below.

Pura Cup Format
Code:
6 points for an outright win
2 points for a 1st innings win
3 points each for a tied match
English County Cricket Format
Code:
14 points for a win (7 for a tie)
4 points each in a drawn match
1-5 points scored for runs scored in 1st innings
1-3 bowling points for wickets taken in 1st innings
Intercontinental Cup Format
Code:
14 points for a win
7 points each for a tie
6 points for a 1st innings lead

Previously we have followed the Pura Cup system. I personally prefer the County Cricket format. So have your say - VOTE - and add any comments and discussion in the thread.

Re: 4-day Points System

I don't like the Pura Cup system, and I'll tell you why. If you are outscored in the first innings, it makes almost no difference whether you lose the match or manage to eke out a draw, because you get no points either way. That doesn't make sense to me.

That being said, I don't really like the other two systems either. Can you explain how the batting and bowling points are allocated in the county cricket format?

I think maybe we should create our own points system, as I find all of the existing ones to be lacking.

I also dislike Pura Cup for that same reason, Stam.

The breakdown for the 1st inning points in the County system is as follows:

200-249 runs - 1 point
250-299 - 2 points
300-349 - 3 points
350-399 - 4 points
400+ - 5 points

3-5 wickets taken - 1 point
6-8 wickets taken - 2 points
9-10 wickets taken - 3 points

I think this rewards the better team, in general, by giving points for performance as well as result. It also strikes a good balance with the number of points given for a win, which is still quite a bit higher.

Anyway, if you have a desire to come up with a unique system, go for it. Just get it done soon, because the season is coming up quickly.

I like the county system, put me down for that one Wilibix

Looks like the county system will make for a much wider variety of results. The more variety you have, the more fun it'll make the competition!
Spice things up a little. I like it!

Pura Cup.

You shouldn't get any points for losing a game.

Ljp, maybe you can educate me better on the Pura Cup. The way it was run in our fantasy cup last year, a team was given the two points for the 1st innings lead, even if they won the match. Is this not the way it is run in real life?

I agree in principle that a team should not be rewarded for losing, take for example the NHLs STUPID overtime loss point. However, in the County system, the points are awarded not for losing, but for acheiving good totals in the 1st innings of the match, and they are available to both the winning and losing team.

Go the county system, mix it up a bit. Looks like it could take a bit of work though.

That's what I love about it. It gives me something to do to avoid studying. Hopefully it wins.......

Wilbix;120337 said:
Ljp, maybe you can educate me better on the Pura Cup. The way it was run in our fantasy cup last year, a team was given the two points for the 1st innings lead, even if they won the match. Is this not the way it is run in real life?

I agree in principle that a team should not be rewarded for losing, take for example the NHLs STUPID overtime loss point. However, in the County system, the points are awarded not for losing, but for acheiving good totals in the 1st innings of the match, and they are available to both the winning and losing team.

Two points are awarded to the team that wins on first innings. A further 4 points are awarded to the team that wins outright.

Well then those who are arguing that you shouldn't get points for losing shouldn't like the Pura Cup system either! Anyway, we'll see how the poll turns out - just think it would be more fun to watch matches hoping for teams to pick up the bonus points in the first innings. makes for more permutations to consider!

Neat - a stalemate!

The first four-day match takes starts on Dec. 21, which is a Thursday. I say we keep the poll going until Tuesday the 19th, and then make a decision.

Back