AB de Villiers, his 'catch' and possible effect on the match.

mas cambios

AB de Villiers, his 'catch' and possible effect on the match.

I'm sure by now those of you that care about the South Africa/England series (and a few that don't) will have seen or heard about the 'catch' that was attempted to be claimed by AB de Villiers.

The catch can be described as a chance which was spilled with the ball being pushed along the ground, before de Villiers turned over his palm in order to make it appear like it was a clean catch. Now, in these situations I'm normally fairly forgiving, as I appreciate that a catch can come at speed and often you're not 100% sure if it was taken cleanly or not and most people are happy to admit this. Some people will claim it as they assume it's been taken with touching the ground, others won't.

However, in this case I would have to say that there was there was very little doubt that de Villiers would not have known that the ball was grounded. He made a cynical attempt at fooling the umpires and it was only the fact that Strauss stood his ground that made the umpires question the catch. Thankfully, replays showed what really happened and Strauss continued.

Hopefully some action will be taken against de Villiers, even if it's only a stern talking to. He has played enough cricket to know better (regardless of age or youthful exuberance) and it's something that the game can live without. My biggest gripe though, is the effect that that 'catch' may have had on the game, in particular with the turning down of the chance against Amla by Vaughn.

I truly believe that the earlier act of gamesmanship from de Villiers coloured the umpires decision and they gave the benefit of doubt to the batsman, when, without the earlier hooha, it may well have been given.

What if anything can be done to minimise the risk of this happening and should umpires be allowed to do anything after the close of play? For example, if the tv replays show the catch was good, should they be able to give Amla out?

Your thoughts please.

Re: AB de Villiers, his 'catch' and possible effect on the match.

I missed this, but what on earth was he thinking? The on-field umpires can be fooled but you can't fool the man up-stairs. Even if Strauss hadn't stood his ground he would have been recalled by the umpire on instructions from the third umpire.
I think Rashid Latif had done something like this and got a 5 match ban. That was too harsh, but I'd expect de Villiers to at least be fined.

Good point but I think that it was an honest mistake, I'm young but I play a fairly high level of cricket and I've had alot of these chances come to me fielding at short extra cover and sometimes I honestly don't know if I picked up the ball or not so in my view it was an honest mistake, there are flaws in your argument though..you said he tried to cover it, you
should know that these things happen in less milli seconds, so are you trying to say that he consciously thought about what he was going to do??....I dont think so
A debate will always rage because peop;e will always have differing views...moving on

what are your views on the vaughn, amla side of it?

Im not sure if he would of known if he had it or not untill after he appealed. Natrually he would of appealed anyway and probably thought about it after it.
I dont think he should get a fine or ban

I'm not one to go branding someone a cheat, because I don't know what was going through De Villiers' mind, but I can't see any way that he couldn't have known that the ball had not touched the ground.

The guy is a freakin' cheat. There is no way that he wouldn't of known that the ball was grounded.

Vaughn's catch was clean and the umpire only gave the benefit of the doubt because of what happened before.

de Villiers said that he thought it fell from his right hand into his left. He also said that he wasn't 100% about the catch and he wouldn't have let Strauss walk off without it being reffered. He told Strauss as much

JonAd;27965 said:
The guy is a freakin' cheat. There is no way that he wouldn't of known that the ball was grounded.

Vaughn's catch was clean and the umpire only gave the benefit of the doubt because of what happened before.

Pfft, Vaughn's wasn't!

I think de Villiers should have told the umpires he wasn't sure. It may have been referred anyway, but if you don't say anything, people will assume you are claiming the catch.

Well.. it made ABD bat well thinking that the crowd were against him..

But you have to "try" and imagine that he didn't mean to claim the catch..

But I'd hope to see England batting much better this Saturday.. I'd say Graeme Smith would know that he won a good toss last test

Yeah, I think the toss was the decisive moment but then again, you can't say that England would've definitely done as well as South Africa if they were in their position.

Back