Accuracy In Leg Spin

shahidpak

I often hear people talking about accuracy and i often try to practice my accuracy. But when you are tring to bowl on a particilar line and length, do you look at a particular spot on the wicket and try to bowl there or is it just "yeah i wanna bowl ABOUT there". And for the leggies that consider themselves as accurate, how many balls in an over do you get where you want ?

Thanks

Shahid Iqbal

Looking at the spot doesn't work for me but I'm an individual. You can't copy someone else's method and expect better results.

About 4 out of 6 of my deliveries are on the ideal spot per over. The others are either marginally short or full. That's good enough for someone who wants to rip the cover off the ball. Of course if you want to play international cricket you have to be able to put more deliveries on a very good length and line.

If you bowl at a decent spinner's pace (about 50mph) and get plenty of action on the ball, I reckon you have an area about the size of a beach towel to aim at, with the short side parallel to the crease. Anything outside of that is a boundary ball.

If you bowl slower or with less spin, then the target gets smaller.

Shahid, have a look at the Youtube clip with Terry Jenner's views on accuracy, particularly from about 2:30 onwards. As for looking at a spot or not, different things work for different bowlers, some look at the spot, some imagine making the batsman move or play a particular shot, others where it hits the stumps/keeper's gloves. Unfortunately its just a case of trial and error to see what works best for you.

If you bowl at a decent spinner's pace (about 50mph) and get plenty of action on the ball, I reckon you have an area about the size of a beach towel to aim at, with the short side parallel to the crease. Anything outside of that is a boundary ball.

If you bowl slower or with less spin, then the target gets smaller.

I'm with you on the beach towel! (not literally) and even use one for drills.
I tend to bowl 3 or 4 balls per over in the right spot, the others usually go short. I bowl quite quick and can sometimes get away with it (the half tracker rarely goes for more than one and often is a dot) .
Theres an old offie in our team who bowls real slow barely turning stuff, but always in the right areas, and takes a stack of wickets. I can knock him all over the place with the bat as I know he hardly turns it, but batsman in the middle dry up, as he always bowls on the stumps on a consistent length. If I could bowl that accurately I could fill my boots, but I havent been bowling 30 years, just 3 in my case.
As with anything - its all about the hours you put in.

Shahid, have a look at the Youtube clip with Terry Jenner's views on accuracy, particularly from about 2:30 onwards. As for looking at a spot or not, different things work for different bowlers, some look at the spot, some imagine making the batsman move or play a particular shot, others where it hits the stumps/keeper's gloves. Unfortunately its just a case of trial and error to see what works best for you.

From 1.43 - 2.07 That is absolute 'gold' advice for bowling straight. Thanks for posting.

Will

Back