Advanced Tactics

Shivam_ipl

well I have come up with a new thread of advanced tactics.I have never seen a thread like this

I have made this thread so every one can discuss their tactics which they have used or can be used.Old blokes can share their experiences.Lets get started-:)

well I have come up with a new thread of advanced tactics.I have never seen a thread like this

I have made this thread so every one can discuss their tactics which they have used or can be used.Old blokes can share their experiences.Lets get started-:)

this is an interesting thread shivam, in terms of advanced tactics it really depends who i'm playing against, iv'e found that subtle variation is key for getting wickets, for example if im bowling at a top order batsman ill bowl a couple of leggies with a straighter approach, then ill clearly angle my run up an bowl a wrong'un, ill do this a couple of times so that the batsman may assume that type of delivery given the approach then id go back to the straighter approach and bowl a wrong'un or angle my approach an bowl my stock ball, like a said though tactics are generally based on the batsman so this is just one example of what id do if i felt it was a batmans weakness.

Normally I will throw everything at them in the first couple of overs, just see if I can get something through before they figure out what's going on. You'd be surprised how often this works.
Failing that, either two things are happening:
1) They're blocking out. How I respond to this depends on the match situation. I might just keep plugging away bowling maidens if that's all , or if we need wickets I might mix up the field, keep throwing in different variations, try and tempt them into a mistake.
2) They're attacking. All methods of attack are also a weakness, that leaves them open to a particular delivery, so its just a matter of leaving the field as before, setting them up like a sucker and then executing the delivery. If that doesn't work, then I try changing the field and forcing them into a different method of attack, then setting them up again.

thanks SLA and Liam for your advice. I have read so me books and thing is that-first when a batsman comes in bowl to his strength,he gets excited and plays it with less concentration and makes a mistake.If the batsman is settled then bowl to its weakness. well I have not tried that because I am not playing matches.Thank you

Here is a very simple thing that is often missed by leg spinners (I see a few offspinners still using this tactic though). Use similar trajectory, same flight, but start off by delivering at the bowling crease and bowl a nice juicy half volley. Then slowly, draw the length back, not by varying the flight, but by delivering the ball from halfway between bowling and popping crease and may be even from behind hte stumps. Your setup ball (the juicy half volley) needs to be perfectly timed for this to work.
This is extremely effective against batsman who are cautious and won't drive you because they saw you spin it big earlier.

all valid tactics so far, the simplest are generally the best varying pace, flight and using the crease. Varying release position, like bowling a delivery with lower arm so it skids a bit more also is a good tactic.

Back