afraid to go over the top

trescho

afraid to go over the top

when im batting and im played in and i just want to go over the top of midoff/mid on when runs are hard to come.has any1 got any tips on playing it over the top ?????

Re: afraid to go over the top

You will have to work on it in the nets for a while until you gain some confidence with it, then you will be able to do it in games.

Pick an area or a shot that's your 'go to' shot when you need a boundary. That was you know where the slot is for hitting it and you've practised it in the nets for when the slog is on in a real match. For example, if you pick the lofted drive, have a bit of a practice with it against a bowling machine or something and you should get used to spotting which balls you can hit and deliberately start to target those balls in matches.

The other thing I'd say is that if you're looking to drive on the ground you really bend the front knee but if you're looking to drive in the air bending the back knee instead seems to work. I might be wrong, it's just something I've noticed messing around with my mates.

This video is pretty good: http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-au&bra...w:ns:MSNVideo_Top_Cat:ps:10:sd:-1:ind:1:ff:8A

be careful with shot selection! if your going to go over the top it cant be a half hearted effort!

Trescho,
If u want to improve then practice in nets and as Ur confidence increases take Ur chances in matches.
Would be good if u discuss the same with Ur captain as well.

just dont try and hit over the top with every shot!

and if you get one right try not to put the next one in the same place, and the next one etc lol

As silly as it sound I usually set myself to defend the next ball after I hit over the top unless it is a really bad ball again. I may be able to get a single off it but I just try to defend so I don't do anything silly.

yep it is one of my biggest downfalls! trying the same shot to a better next ball!

Stumped said:
yep it is one of my biggest downfalls! trying the same shot to a better next ball!

It's amazing how often you see "4 4 W" in a scorebook. Once you hit a good shot it can be hard to rein yourself in on the next one.

what makes me laugh is, i might smack one for 4 or six then say to myself, "leave it alone!" then the whole fielding side will chirp up saying it was a great response etc when i could clearly have hit it again!

lol i can understand that. thats the problem with pre-determining what stroke you'll play. i used to do that a lot and still do to an extent against fast bowlers. if its a slow bowler though there is a lot of time to think and go for the right stroke.

I'm not actually afraid to go over the top. I just think to myself whilst in bat. C'mon don't get it high. Look for the gaps i think look for the gaps. Ball later i normally hit boundaries.

i cant remember who it was but one of the commentators recently mentione about not picturing the fielders more the gaps where the fielders are not! seems to work well!

I take a slightly different approach but it seems to work for me in that I try and nudge every ball so that there's not too much risk but if there isn't a fielder there then it's a run. Obviously I block the really good balls and try and cream the bad ones but the ones in between get the above treatment.

Stumped;26179 said:
my trouble is i like hitting the good balls!
Same i like hitting the good balls and the bad trouble is sometimes i dont last to see the bad balls :D

i like to hit the bad balls but tend to get out to the bad balls and score off the good balls!

Make sure that you pick a ball as close to a half volley as you can.. don't pre-meditate it just swing hard when you see the pitched up ball and hope that you have picked the gap..

And take care to have a good look at the field placings.. no point in going for the lofted on-drive if they have a deep long-on..

And try and keep that top-hand dominant.. when the bottom hand takes over you see the bat turn in the hand when players try and loft and it seems to always hit a fielder

Back