All rounder (slogger)

All rounder (slogger)

ok Recently i have been batting at around 5 ish and constantly getting caught behind any idea on what to change to fix...

i also get bowled alot by ones just cliping off peg, could it just be my judgment?

Re: All rounder (slogger)

What guard do you take? If you bat on middle stump, you are further across, and so you're more likely to play at wider balls, that if you batted on middle-and-leg, for example, you wouldn't even consider playing at. And this can cause you to over-compensate, and leave balls far too close to you. And the opposite happens if you bat on leg stump, you leave balls too close to you, and to over-compensate you start playing at wider deliveries. This is straight out of Bob Woolmer's art and science of cricket, but being a bowler, you notice these things when batsmen are at the crease.
It could also be because of your judgment, the same things can happen regardless of what guard you take. Lots of people see wider deliveries and go after them, thinking they are freebies. If you get an edge and get out, that's it. If you play and miss, you might try and over-compensate as above.

Just my 2 Cents.

Tumo

Have a taking guard routine, if you don't already. Use the same thing over and over to get yourself to concentrate. Also a rule for me is that if I'm thinking anything (one is my absolute limit) in particular about my cricket (maybe I have just told myself to step closer to the ball, as such it is the only thing I concentrate on) it all goes downhill. Clear your mind as a general rule.

Also how do you play bounce? Is that an issue?

I'm actually good against the short ball I can play it well and it scores me a fair few runs, as for the whole bowled and caught behind thing it has been rectified and now i'm back scoring good runs and taking wickets

T.A Offspinner;388691 said:
I'm actually good against the short ball I can play it well and it scores me a fair few runs, as for the whole bowled and caught behind thing it has been rectified and now i'm back scoring good runs and taking wickets

That's good then.

Just for the record, I didn't meant bounce as in the short ball, but bounce as in any bounce of the pitch.

ok number 1 watch the ball right from where the bowler takes his run up this helps to watch the ball
number 2 take a small step forward as the bowler releases the ball the helps to get you moving
number 3 step forward at all times then if the ball is pitched up you have plenty of time to play your shot, if the ball if short just take a step back after you have stepped forward, greg chappell used this to perfection.

It works for me so give it a try:)

"what more is life but a game of cricket??

bboy0001;391517 said:
ok number 1 watch the ball right from where the bowler takes his run up this helps to watch the ball
number 2 take a small step forward as the bowler releases the ball the helps to get you moving
number 3 step forward at all times then if the ball is pitched up you have plenty of time to play your shot, if the ball if short just take a step back after you have stepped forward, greg chappell used this to perfection.

It works for me so give it a try:)

"what more is life but a game of cricket??

With the stepping forward, that only works for a certain number of people. It can help some people more if they stand still until the ball is released, for plenty of reasons (no early indication to bowlers, balance issues, etc).

Back