Another problem :D

Sparksy88

Another problem :D

Hi guys. Id describe my self as being a pretty raw leggie although iv been bowling it since the age of about 12/13 (now 22) because iv never really been coached, iv always just run up and spun it hard with some decent results. Its only really this year that iv been pulling my action apart with the video camera. Although my basic check points are good (with a few bad habits i.e front foot goes along way across the wicket before delivery and slightly bent front knee) my follow through seemed to be the area needing most work.

Problem is, trying to get the back leg driving through (even after weeks of practice) has almost wrecked my bowling, Look at all top bowlers and they all have a good follow through. But on video when i try it, the leg almost comes through with the bowling arm, opening my chest early and cause me to drag it down short mostly and hard to pitch it on leg stump when needed.

Looking very closely at bowler like Warne and Smith, most of the leg follow through comes after the ball is released (the ball is a good metre out of leaving the hand and the back foot is still trailing behind the front knee slightly.
Seems i am almost kicking the leg through too fast. Today i bowled with out even thinking about my action and bolwed ok but not where i want it to be. Any thoughts?

Re: Another problem :D

I think this is a job for some of the blokes on here with a lot of experience Macca, Doctotran, or TonyM. From your last sentence though it does sound as though you could take a leaf out of Philpotts book as he would say that we've all got different actions and ways of going about our bowling and it sounds as though if you revert back to your own style and forget about the comparisons with Warne and Smith you're doing okay?

Sparksy88;409127 said:
Hi guys. Id describe my self as being a pretty raw leggie although iv been bowling it since the age of about 12/13 (now 22) because iv never really been coached, iv always just run up and spun it hard with some decent results. Its only really this year that iv been pulling my action apart with the video camera. Although my basic check points are good (with a few bad habits i.e front foot goes along way across the wicket before delivery and slightly bent front knee) my follow through seemed to be the area needing most work.

Problem is, trying to get the back leg driving through (even after weeks of practice) has almost wrecked my bowling, Look at all top bowlers and they all have a good follow through. But on video when i try it, the leg almost comes through with the bowling arm, opening my chest early and cause me to drag it down short mostly and hard to pitch it on leg stump when needed.

Looking very closely at bowler like Warne and Smith, most of the leg follow through comes after the ball is released (the ball is a good metre out of leaving the hand and the back foot is still trailing behind the front knee slightly.
Seems i am almost kicking the leg through too fast. Today i bowled with out even thinking about my action and bolwed ok but not where i want it to be. Any thoughts?

Sounds like a case of pushing through, but not spinning up. Try exploding upwards with your upper body late in your delivery stride -- i.e. between when you bring your leg drive through and when you release -- or even after ball release. When I say explode upwards... it sort of feels like jolting your chest up as if you're extending your chest out as if you're trying to chest a football down.

Thanks, i will have a play around with it tomorow. Definatly feels like im spinning forward and somtimes down, i do tend to bowl most of my leggies out of the front of the hand for max side spin so i am quite flat.

Iv also been thinking i might be driving the leg forward insted of pivoting round, im not sure, will need to have a play with it!

I'm also looking at similar aspects to my bowling, I'm just editing a video now to upload so that everyone can have a look and check to see if it's okay. The thing I'm looking at if the foot that gets planted before your pivot foot lands. The impression I'm getting is at the point that foot lands you should be leaning back slightly and then you push forwards with a big stride onto your pivot foot. The question I'm initially interested in - is where that initial foot should be pointing to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2xRd1dQVPw

Sparksy, any chance of a video link - picture paints a thousand words and all that. As Dave has said sometimes comparisons with pros can be unhelpful in that there are very few 'clones' out there and its better to work with your natural action rather than have an action that is a bit of this bloke and a bit of that bloke.

Tony, have you had a chance to have a look at the link above. I'm trying to establish where that foot is supposed to be pointing as it lands before the next step goes onto the pivot foot. I'm thinking if it points straight, I don't get the rotation happening so well through the hips - is that right? It seems to me - my old Skip technique in part was helping to get that foot into a more sideways position - does that make sense?

someblokecalleddave;409184 said:
Tony, have you had a chance to have a look at the link above. I'm trying to establish where that foot is supposed to be pointing as it lands before the next step goes onto the pivot foot. I'm thinking if it points straight, I don't get the rotation happening so well through the hips - is that right? It seems to me - my old Skip technique in part was helping to get that foot into a more sideways position - does that make sense?

Dave, have given an answer elsewhere, but yes being more side on does seem to help with your hip drive. Sorry for the delay in posting but you spooked me a bit by naming me earlier in the thread :eek:

Back