anyone ever measured the RPM's they can impart on a ball with their spin bowling?

Re: anyone ever measured the RPM's they can impart on a ball with their spin bowling?

Jim2109;360916 said:
if youre only generating 5 or 6 revs/sec then a normal camera might cut it, i reckon to accurately measure the rotation you need the fps to be at least 4 times the actual revs on the ball. 25fps would be perfect if youre only getting 5 or 6 per second. i think youll be surprised though at how many revs a relatively slowly rotating ball is producing! when i first measured mine and got the maths wrong, 4 revs/sec seemed plausible to me. it wasnt until i really thought about it that i realised it must be turning way more than that. when you flip the ball from hand to hand it takes approx 0.5 secs from release to catch (at least it does in my case, anything from 0.5-0.6 it seems, and i flip it up a bit). if youre only spinning at 6 revs/sec then that means the ball is only turning 3 times between your hands. i could physically see that mine was turning way more than that, so i thought about it and looked at the video again and spotted my mistake. il bet it turns at least double what you think it does. mine spins 10 full rotations between hands.

stick a thin strip of masking tape on the ball about an inch long on one side. have someone watch the ball while you spin it and see if they can count the number of times the tape goes past the bottom. whatever they count, multiply it by 100-120 and youll have an estimate at least.

Hand to hand is a totally different story, doing it like that I reckon I'm up there with the best of them and I'll give anyone a run for their money I reckon on the RPM world record! You'd never be able to see the black tape let alone count it! It's the actual bowling - I can't convert the viciousness of the hand to hand flick into the Leg Break, if I could I'd be an amazing bowler!

Re: anyone ever measured the RPM's they can impart on a ball with their spin bowling?

someblokecalleddave;361129 said:
Hand to hand is a totally different story, doing it like that I reckon I'm up there with the best of them and I'll give anyone a run for their money I reckon on the RPM world record! You'd never be able to see the black tape let alone count it! It's the actual bowling - I can't convert the viciousness of the hand to hand flick into the Leg Break, if I could I'd be an amazing bowler!

You must video that mate. Sounds pretty impressive to me.

sadspinner;361135 said:
You must video that mate. Sounds pretty impressive to me.

It's coming, I'm just waiting for an evening when it's still and there's no wind. I gotta get it done in the next month or so and I'll be posting them on the brand new (3rd) wrist spin blog that's still under construction with a lot more pictures.

someblokecalleddave;361129 said:
It's the actual bowling - I can't convert the viciousness of the hand to hand flick into the Leg Break, if I could I'd be an amazing bowler!

Sometimes I think that the hand to hand stuff being transferred to overarm is complete ****************. It might be because my action is so strange maybe. I tend to get more revs when bowling overarm or round arm in my case, rather than from hand to hand. But I still get much more than jenner from hand to hand

sadspinner;361140 said:
Sometimes I think that the hand to hand stuff being transferred to overarm is complete ****************. It might be because my action is so strange maybe. I tend to get more revs when bowling overarm or round arm in my case, rather than from hand to hand. But I still get much more than jenner from hand to hand

Yeah I'm undecided, the flick that I get hand to hand is massive but converting that to a ball that comes out of the hand at 90 degrees in a over-arm bowing action still seems a physical impossibility, but..... give me a whole off-season trying it and I'll tell you the conclusion come April 2010.

someblokecalleddave;361143 said:
Yeah I'm undecided, the flick that I get hand to hand is massive but converting that to a ball that comes out of the hand at 90 degrees in a over-arm bowing action still seems a physical impossibility, but..... give me a whole off-season trying it and I'll tell you the conclusion come April 2010.

For my attempted big one I do not actually spin it towards me. It is difficult to explain, but it is more like jenners action for the slider but moving the wrist slightly. I feel as though I am throwing a bowl, but giving it backspin. The forward momentum seems to give the ball side spin and backspin. The last time, I tried this action overarm for 1 hour, and woke up with a sore shoulder. So the action must have been slightly different.

Sorry should have posted this in the other thread.

ive managed to translate my hand to hand method into my actual action. its near enough identical now. i found that bowling underarm helped visualise and train my hand to work the same way as when its above my head. the wrist action is actually extremely similar when you look at it between underarm and overarm for the leg break. and also the slider!! this is how i learnt the slider initially. the slider is easier to bowl underarm though, the leg break is easier overarm.

The Trackman (used in the previous ashes series) is great!:D...
Shows you the shameful amount of RPM's that some bowlers get and also the ridiculous RPM rates (I'm thinking of Steve Smith's 2711 RPM delivery:eek:)

If this bloke is only 400 revs behind Swann, well then I'd really like to know what we would score:confused: I didn't notice any drift in the delivery they showed from behind! The commentators in the Ashes mentioned something about the Trackman that is quite interesting, according to them the ball only starts to drift noticeably when it has 2300 revs or more. My deliveries certainly drift more than just "noticeably", but is it even possible for me to be spinning the ball as much as Swann? And how reliable are the Trackman ratings?

Skip to 2:50 to see a few Steve Smith wickets, the first one to Bell is in the red. (2300+) So what would Warne get on the Trackman? 3000?

Hmmm, commentators? Most of the time they talk out of their backsides especially when it comes to spin bowling. How does the trackman thing work - is it a visual thing, what does it see and read spinning? Most advanced digital SLR's have trouble seeing things... e.g. focusing on single coloured block of tonality and they have the R&D of companies the size of Canon and Nikon. So it's surprising to hear that some little mickey mouse company has developed a visual reading system that for one can isolate a ball against a multi-coloured backdrop and then see the seam rotating at speed and count the times it rotates?

If you watch the ball on the 2nd smith deliver it looks ludicrously slow as well!

Hmmm, commentators? Most of the time they talk out of their backsides especially when it comes to spin bowling. How does the trackman thing work - is it a visual thing, what does it see and read spinning? Most advanced digital SLR's have trouble seeing things... e.g. focusing on single coloured block of tonality and they have the R&D of companies the size of Canon and Nikon. So it's surprising to hear that some little mickey mouse company has developed a visual reading system that for one can isolate a ball against a multi-coloured backdrop and then see the seam rotating at speed and count the times it rotates?

If you watch the ball on the 2nd smith deliver it looks ludicrously slow as well!

Not really sure how the Trackman works:confused: It's a little watch type thing on the right hand bottom of the TV / computer screen that has a green, yellow and red color code. If the meter goes into the green it's just about no revs (fast bowlers and Paul harris) yellow is turn and bounce but not really any noticeable drift or dip (most average spinners and variations like the arm ball) the red is a delivery that drifts and dips noticeably (Graeme Swann ripper or Steve Smith average delivery)

It's similar to the speed gun, emits something like a laser or whatnot to track and count the revs on the ball. I'm not sure at all about it and don't think it's accurate, but still a good device to know how many revs you put on the ball (more or less):D

Yeah that was Steve Smith's top spinner, you can hear the commentators talking about "drift" but it was just the in-angle, I watched that ball live and it was a perpendicular top spinner!!!

Back