Applying anti-scuff

mas cambios

Applying anti-scuff

Following on from the thread on whether or not to apply a scuff sheet, I thought it might be an idea to do a quick how to apply tutorial. No pictures at the moment as I'm still getting my house in order but once it's sorted I'll get some posted up.

1. Make sure the bat is dry, clean and free from any debris. Some people like to give the bat a quick sand down with fine paper just to make sure, but it's down to personal choice.

2. Get your scuff sheet and lay it (with the backing on) on the face of bat, just overlapping the lower end of any face sticker. Cut it at the toe, so you have about a cm or so more than you need.

3. Peel off the backing off and stick it down at the top of the face, on or just below the bottom of any face sticker and then onto the rest of the face. Stick it down from the centre first, applying pressure with your thumbs out to the edges. You need to have it centred so that it overlaps the edges equally.

4. Work your way down the bat following the same technique. Work from the centre out, using your thumbs to smooth creases and stick the sheet down.

5. Once you've reached the toe you will need to make a little knick at each corner in order to get the sheet to fold onto the edges correctly. Think wrapping a present and you'll get the idea. Once you have this sorted you'll know be ready to tidy it up.

6. Using a craft blade and the toe of the bat as a guide cut any excess sheet so that it finishes flush with the bat.

7. Give the sheet a final smooth down and then you should be all set.

Tips: Scuff sheets are unforgiving on willow and you normally only get one or two chances to get it right so if in any doubt get a pro to do it for you. The sheets with fibre glass strands are particularly sticky and you will only have one chance to get it right.

You need a sharp blade to cut the sheets with but take care, remember to cut away from you, I've seen some nasty injuries from craft knives etc, don't add to it.

Post any queries in here and I'll help as much as I can!

Re: Applying anti-scuff

would of helped me if you had posted that about a month and a bit ago :p i fitted a anti scuff sheet to my bat but it had a big crease mark from where it had been folded, so i got a hair drier and heated it out. it made it really floppy though, got the sheet on ok though : D

i might be getting a new woodworm bat soon and i dont have a clue how to do the edges of the bat with anti scuff (folding it over) because the bat gets thinner as you get to the toe so you have loads hanging off, one edge on my anti scuff that i put on is all wavey, it doesnt look to nice lol.
pics will probaly help me more than words though :laugh:

sorry if some of that doesnt make sense pretty sure it does though :confused:

I know what you mean and agree that pics will help. Once I get the house straight I'll sort some out.

The key thing is to work at it a section at as time. You can lay the sheet down on the bat lightly, then smooth it out - this will make more sense with pictures.

As for the bat getting thinner, you have two choices, fold it over so its on the back of the bat or cut it flush with the edge.

Ignore the idiots, the guide is good enough, pictures would just be a bonus.

You should warn the kids on here to be careful with sharp knives, wouldn't want to lose a few members would we!

thank very much when i brought my last bat i had to pay extra to shopkeeper to apply the anti scuff....... because i didnt know and didnt want to spoil the bat.

I hate the stuff, why ruin a sexy piece of wood with plastic, like making your hot woman wear a veil.

danicus said:
I hate the stuff, why ruin a sexy piece of wood with plastic, like making your hot woman wear a veil.

Because it can spoil the bat if you use without it. I want my bat to last 2-3 years so I take care. I never knew that there was guide for doing this when I applied it there were some crease on the bat.

Back