Are you mikka bouzu?

micoach

Are you mikka bouzu?

http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2008/01/mikka-bouzu.html

n Japanese, there is an expression "????" (mikka bouzu), which means "three-day monk". It is used to describe people who start things with big promises and great enthusiasm, but never see them through to the end.

In many ways this quote sums up some of the sadness I feel when helping out on forums like this.

Many many people ask for advice, get answers then we never hear from them again.

Are they being a mikka bouzu? Wanting to improve their game through fitness and nutrition but not seeing it through?

I firmly believe the hardest part is to just keep going. Pretty much anyone can get to a high playing standard if they just keep showing up and working at their game.

What do you think?

Re: Are you mikka bouzu?

It is true that the hardest thing to do is to keep up with the training. I have found, with my recent fascination with it, that one of two paths are the most effective:

1) If you are a really organised and determined person, then a planned schedule which tells you exactly what to do and when to do it is best.

2) If you are not, it is best not to have a schedule but to ensure that you keep the fitness going with one or two exercises per day. As long as you keep doing exercises that you know are useful in a consistent rotation, you will gradually get fitter.

I would have to say that I am 2). After a long day at school, I am usually not in the mood to do a load of training, but I make time for perhaps a leg stretch or a few chin ups to keep things going.

I think it is a fact of life. People mean well but fall away, with distractions from other things.

Manee has the right idea in some ways, if you can't do it all then at least do bits of it!

hmm I feel a post coming on.

Any thought on how us fragile minded 3 day monks stick with the program?

That phrase has even more meaning seeing as we're still in January and that time of year when everyone tries to get fit, take up a new hobby or quit smoking amongst other things.

Personally, I think that people try to do to much to soon. They dive head first into a new challenge without giving it any prior thought, except for maybe 'I'd like to do this or that'. The biggest issue is time, it's always easy to make time at first but once 'real life' kicks in it's so easy to make excuses.

I've been a 3 day monk (as I'm sure we all have) but I think you have to look at the things you've stuck with and try to work out what helped you to stick it out. Was it because it was convenient - on your way home from work (for example), you had no outside pressures, or simply was it something you enjoyed so much that you got totally submerged in it.

How can we break the cycle? I don't know to be honest but I guess having friends take up the activity with you would be a great help as you'd have others to give you a kick up the behind (and vice versa) when needed, make it so that it's really easy to do (until it becomes a routine) and try avoid the dreaded 'It'll be ok to miss a day'.

*Timed Out check to do list*

World Peace... check
Learn Esperanto... check
Buy Stamps... DAMN!

Its worth taking the time initially to work out exactly how you are going to achieve any particular goal - jumping straight in thinking i'm going to do this that and the other rarely works - as with most thinks preparation is the key - the old adage -"fail to prepare, prepare to fail " rings true!

I am a great believer in Performance Profiling (well I would be wouldn't I :p) so I take a long time to decide what needs to be done or advising my guys what they should think about doing.

The problem is often with prioritising:

If you don't know what is important, then everything is important.
When everything is important, then you have to do everything.
When you have to do everything, you don't have time to think about what is really important. :D

I agree Liz, especially about having lots to do.

There is a chap called David Allen who has a system that works in reverse. Instead of setting big goals and breaking them down he starts with the crappy little stuff that takes up so much time and builds it up.

Sounds weird but it works on a practical level superbly. The book is called "Getting Things Done".

i really want to improve my fitness but i always fail to find time to train. i did well for a month last year but since then i have stopped. i feel disappointed every night and think i'll make ammends tomorrow but that never happens. im too lazy. although recently i have started to train again and hope it lasts longer.

deer said:
i really want to improve my fitness but i always fail to find time to train. i did well for a month last year but since then i have stopped. i feel disappointed every night and think i'll make ammends tomorrow but that never happens. im too lazy. although recently i have started to train again and hope it lasts longer.

If you can't find time in the afternoon to train, then look to train early in the morning. Wake up, do some training and then start your day.

deer said:

You are far from alone. I highly recommend the book I mention in my post. It's supposed to be for businessmen but it works for all aspects of life, including cricket and fitness.

manee said:
If you can't find time in the afternoon to train, then look to train early in the morning. Wake up, do some training and then start your day.
yeah i never find time in the afternoon until it gets too late. ive been busy for a few days so i cant find time to train in morning but i'll defnintely try it soon.

Harrowdrive said:
You are far from alone. I highly recommend the book I mention in my post. It's supposed to be for businessmen but it works for all aspects of life, including cricket and fitness.
thanks for the tip. i'll try to get hold of it.

Back