Australia in South Africa

Re: Australia in South Africa

McGain, Siddle and McDonald were shocked at Victories loss to Queensland in the Ford Ranger cup Final, so they decided not to participate any further in this practice match.:D:p

The Australians are 1/158, 68 needed from eight overs with McDonald and Johnson at the crease. Marcus North and Phil Hughes both "retired hurt" after reaching their 50's. Brad Haddin was out for 13 to Imran Tahir.

McDonald is on 28 and Johnson 10.

Johnson edges Tahir to second slip and that signals the end of the chase as the captains agree to draw the match.

The Australians finish on 2/171, a fair way short of the target but still a good effort nonetheless. Both sides had a good hit-out. Katich and Ponting fared well with the bat, North made two 50's and took six wickets and Bollinger impressed in the second innings.

First test should be a beauty.

Gentleman, lets clear up a few things..
Imran Tahier played for Hampshire and the Titans. Yes, the setup is like KP, Graeme Hick etc. in getting player status. I must admit I am a bit shocked that he is being pencilled in to the South African team.
I don't agree with the one view in that he is the most attacking spin bowling option in South Africa. There are a few candidates that must be kept in mind.. 1. Thandi Tshabalala of the Eagles - best 20 over spin bowler in terms of averages.. in my mind.
2. Con de Lange - ex Cape Cobra,now an Eagle and is a serious left arm spin option.
3. Darren Smit/h - Of the Dolphins. He is a interesting option in that he keeps wicket and bowls good Leg Spin.Right arm , is currently telling the media that he wants to keep , but I sense his chance nationally is bowling.

Also please note that Imran Tahier is an option but he has had limited game time with the Titans and with respect Paul Harris has done nothing wrong.. he made pressure against Baggy Greens and he is the best batting option with the exception of Smit.. Yes, the wicket the are playing on is flat .. they are always.. expect greenish fast wickets for Steyn, Ntini , Morkel etc

You make a fair point but Tahir carries a reputation due his performances in the County championship in recent years.

He pretty much single handedly revived Hampshire last year, taking 44 wickets at an average if under 17. When you consider this came from only 7 games; during another wet(ish) summer, then it's pretty impressive. There were also a clamour of clubs seeking his signature, so he's doing something right.

You make a fair point about Harris, the guy hasn't really done much wrong and is worth his place. For me though he's a containing option rather than an attacking one. Yes, you need players like that in the team but for me, there are others in the team that could do that if needed.

A top draw attacking spinner would give South Africa something they haven't had (in my opinion) since re-entering the test arena and would really round off their bowling unit.

With regards to his eligibility, then in a perfect world he'd be playing for Pakistan and KP for South Africa. However, we don't live in a perfect world and even less so a perfect cricketing world. He's not the first cricketer to play for a country other than the one of his birth and it's a fairly safe bet that he won't be the last.

The main thing is that he's done his time in qualifying and is married to a South African national; as the law stands he can play if selected.

hattrick;328309 said:
Gentleman, lets clear up a few things..
Imran Tahier played for Hampshire and the Titans. Yes, the setup is like KP, Graeme Hick etc. in getting player status. I must admit I am a bit shocked that he is being pencilled in to the South African team.
I don't agree with the one view in that he is the most attacking spin bowling option in South Africa. There are a few candidates that must be kept in mind.. 1. Thandi Tshabalala of the Eagles - best 20 over spin bowler in terms of averages.. in my mind.
2. Con de Lange - ex Cape Cobra,now an Eagle and is a serious left arm spin option.
3. Darren Smit/h - Of the Dolphins. He is a interesting option in that he keeps wicket and bowls good Leg Spin.Right arm , is currently telling the media that he wants to keep , but I sense his chance nationally is bowling.

Also please note that Imran Tahier is an option but he has had limited game time with the Titans and with respect Paul Harris has done nothing wrong.. he made pressure against Baggy Greens and he is the best batting option with the exception of Smit.. Yes, the wicket the are playing on is flat .. they are always.. expect greenish fast wickets for Steyn, Ntini , Morkel etc

I'm not all that familair with the South African domestic scene so Imran Tahir and Paul Harris are the only names that the majority of Australian fans would have heard of. Tshabalala is one name I've seen and I've heard he is a very good one-day bowler but the other two I'm not that familiar with.

But, if those three bowlers are bowling well are Harris' and Botha spots in the test and one-day teams safe or is there some serious competition for the spinning roles in either side?

McGain, Hauritz to miss first Test Cricket - News - Yahoo!7 Sport

Three uncapped players have been named in Australia's 12-man squad, with Tasmanian pace bowler Ben Hilfenhaus, NSW opening batsman Phil Hughes and Western Australia captain Marcus North all in line for their debuts.

Australia haven't played three debutants in the same Test match since Merv Hughes, Geoff Marsh and Bruce Reid helped Allan Border's side draw the Adelaide Test against Kapil Dev's India in December 1985.

Australia captain Ricky Ponting expects conditions to favour swing bowlers which could be a pointer towards Hilfenhaus getting the nod, while Victorian all-rounder Andrew McDonald and NSW left-armer Doug Bollinger will also face a nervous wait before the final eleven is named before the toss of the coin.

Vice-captain Michael Clarke did fielding drills and batted in the nets to indicate he has recovered from a back injury which kept him out of last week's tour match in Potchefstroom.

Based on that squad McDonald will be 12th man, otherwise they will be taking in only 3 bowlers and have 2 part timers. Classing McDonald as a part time bowler, and I think North will play.

My XI

Hughes, Katich, Ponting, Hussey, Clarke, North, Haddin, Johnson, Siddle, Bollinger, Hilfenhaus.

1st test will kick-off in around 10 minutes.

McDonald and North both in the XI.

SA XI: *Smith, McKenzie, Amla, Kallis, Duminy, de Villiers, +Boucher, Harris, Morkel, Steyn, Ntini.

AUS XI: Katich, Hughes, *Ponting, Hussey, Clarke, North, +Haddin, McDonald, Johnson, Siddle, Hilfenhaus.

The pitch looks very good. A few scruff marks near the batting crease. Might be a bit damp underneath the surface, reckons Robin Jackman. Its a consistent track, however, looking pretty even all the length down. No surprises that Australia wanted to have a bat.

McDonald gets the nod.

Katich
Hughes
Ponting
M. Hussey
Clarke
North
Haddin
McDonald
Johnson
Siddle
Hilfenhaus

I like that line-up. Go the Aussies!

postmanpav;329852 said:
1st test will kick-off in around 10 minutes.

McDonald and North both in the XI.

SA XI: *Smith, McKenzie, Amla, Kallis, Duminy, de Villiers, +Boucher, Harris, Morkel, Steyn, Ntini.

AUS XI: Katich, Hughes, *Ponting, Hussey, Clarke, North, +Haddin, McDonald, Johnson, Siddle, Hilfenhaus.

The pitch looks very good. A few scruff marks near the batting crease. Might be a bit damp underneath the surface, reckons Robin Jackman. Its a consistent track, however, looking pretty even all the length down. No surprises that Australia wanted to have a bat.

Beat me too it. A good summary. Go the Aussies!!

Game is less than 15 mins away. Ricky Ponting won the toss and Australia will bat first. Phillip Hughes, Marcus North and Ben Hilfenhaus will all debut for Australian in this match, the first time in over 20 years that Australia have played three debutants in the one game. Hughes is also the youngest debutant for Australia since Craig McDermott played his first test which was back in 1984 I think. Andrew McDonald will also play with Doug Bollinger missing out, a surprise move their from the Aussies.

South Africa have gone into the match unchanged from the side that played in Sydney.

The pitch is looking good and it seems to be pretty consistent so Australia will have an advantage batting first. In terms of bowling, this is a pace bowler's pitch, seam and swing will go well here which is why McGain wasn't given a look in for the Australian team. There have been showers in the afternoon all week and they are a chance to continue throughout the test so the weather will only help the seamers.

This series will also use the video referral system with both sides using the system for the very first time.

South Africa XI: *Graeme Smith, Neil McKenzie, Hashim Amla, Jacques Kallis, AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, +Mark Boucher, Morne Morkel, Paul Harris, Dale Steyn, Makhaya Ntini.

Australia XI: Simon Katich, Phillip Hughes (test debut), *Ricky Ponting, Michael Clarke, Michael Hussey, Marcus North (test debut), +Brad Haddin, Andrew McDonald, Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle, Ben Hilfenhaus (test debut)

Umpires: Steve Bucknor and Billy Bowden

Weather:

(Temps in Degrees Celcius)

Thursday: Scattered Thunderstorms, 25
Friday: Thunderstorms, 24
Saturday: Scattered Thunderstorms, 26
Sunday: Afternoon Showers, 24
Monday: Partly Cloudy, 26

Bucknor announced recently that he will be retiring this year, I believe he will do so in a few months.

Hughes out for a duck, jumps and tries to slash the ball over slips but only gives Boucher a low catch to the ground. Terrible shot.

1/0. Horrible start. Ponting in.

Back