Australia Tour Of Bangladesh 2011

Boris

The Aussies are off to a relatively easy and short start to what will be a tough lead up to and a tough home summer of cricket. Bangladesh are looking to perform in front of their ever fanatical home crowd and try to beat a down and out side that dropped out long before they were expected in the World Cup. If ever there is a time that Bangladesh will feel confident against Australia, now is it.

Fixtures:
April 7 - Tour Match
April 9 - First ODI
April 11 - Second ODI
April 13 - Third ODI

Australian Squad
Michael Clarke (capt)
Shane Watson
Brad Haddin (wk)
Ricky Ponting
Cameron White
Mike Hussey
Callum Ferguson
Tim Paine (wk)
Steve Smith
Mitchell Johnson
John Hastings
Brett Lee
Xavier Doherty
James Pattinson

Biggest change is the captaincy with Clarke leading his first series as full time captain, and Shane Watson playing in his first game as vice captain. Ponting will be in unknown territory, first time since 2003 (I think that's when he got the captaincy) he has played underneath somebody in an international game. Going to be interesting to see if he can back up his brilliant century against India throughout the series.

Since then Shaun Tait has retired, and Pattinson comes in for him. Looks like they want him to grow up into the next generation of fast bowlers, Hastings will probably be playing ahead of him. Jason Krezja has been dropped in favour of Doherty, which I'm not convinced about. Doherty has had a couple of good games but nothing great since then, both internationally and domestically. Dave Hussey is out due to his wife is to have their first baby in the near future, so congratulations to him. Cameron White will be desperate to get some runs under his belt or else Ferguson might start getting some games.

As for the Bangladesh team...
Shakib Al Hasan
Tamim Iqbal

... my knowledge of Bangladesh only extends that far...

Well let's just see how things unfold.
One could make all sorts of theories but only time will tell.
How Ponting handles not being captain anymore will decide on how much longer he plays.
I would think if he can find enough form to stay in the team he will retire at the end of the next summer.
Spinners are a real problem for the selectors or maybe i should say the selectors are a real problem for the spinners.
All was well with Hauritz till they had a rush of blood and dropped him at the start of the ashes, after that pride would not let them recall him and now injury keeps him away.
Australia really needs to decide on a spinner for each form and stick with their choice for a reasonable time frame. A clear plan would be useful for the spinner as well. It would seem at the moment the plan is through them to the wolves and be disappointed that they are not warnie.

Well let's just see how things unfold.
One could make all sorts of theories but only time will tell.
How Ponting handles not being captain anymore will decide on how much longer he plays.
I would think if he can find enough form to stay in the team he will retire at the end of the next summer.
Spinners are a real problem for the selectors or maybe i should say the selectors are a real problem for the spinners.
All was well with Hauritz till they had a rush of blood and dropped him at the start of the ashes, after that pride would not let them recall him and now injury keeps him away.
Australia really needs to decide on a spinner for each form and stick with their choice for a reasonable time frame. A clear plan would be useful for the spinner as well. It would seem at the moment the plan is through them to the wolves and be disappointed that they are not warnie.

Nice to see that Bangladesh have dumped Ashraful once and for all or at least I hope they don't panic and bring him back just so he can perform poorly again. He has been such a disappointment for them. Imrul Kayes is improving a lot which is helpful for them. He looks like he has some confidence now.

I'm sure Doherty would have been before Krejza if he hadn't been injured for the World Cup and Krejza hardly convinced anyone that he was worth giving another shot. He was just as ineffective against the minnows as the decent teams so I don't blame them for giving him the boot. He had seven matches in spin friendly conditions and got a real poor return. But other than that, I would agree with you, nairbe, the selectors have their heads up their arses as regards spin bowlers and all they see up there is Shane Warne.

I'd enjoy it if the Bangladesh team gave us a shock in at least one match. They have real problems keeping their heads though and going for the glory shots all the time, it is their biggest problem.

Well... Australia in a bit of trouble here at 138/4.

Ponting really looks back in form, he didn't have a single play and miss or doubtful looking shot, but he was run out by some quite brilliant fielding in the deep combined with an incompetent Watson, who seems to have quite a bit of trouble running between the wickets. He looks in good form too, but of late has had a Haddin-esque way of getting out in his 30s and 40s.

White must be on the very brink of being dropped now. I've backed him up till now but they might as well play Johnson or Lee in the number 5 position, at least then they can bowl as well. He was dropped twice today, had an LBW shout turned down that could have gone either way and a top edged sweep that landed just short of deep backward square leg before finally playing an odd little chip shot that went straight up for a good catch. It was a very painful 50 deliveries to say the least, with only 20 runs coming from them.

Now it's up to Clarke and Hussey. Clarke looks in good touch, still flowing on from his great World Cup and Hussey scored 69^ off 40 in the tour match with big sixes and is starting to look a little more settled now.

Watson does have some running issues, i would have thought that the coach would have addressed that by now?
I see that White had a real struggle too, he really must lift his game. Good on Clarke for nocking up a ton, good start to his captaincy.

Well... Australia in a bit of trouble here at 138/4.

Ponting really looks back in form, he didn't have a single play and miss or doubtful looking shot, but he was run out by some quite brilliant fielding in the deep combined with an incompetent Watson, who seems to have quite a bit of trouble running between the wickets. He looks in good form too, but of late has had a Haddin-esque way of getting out in his 30s and 40s.

White must be on the very brink of being dropped now. I've backed him up till now but they might as well play Johnson or Lee in the number 5 position, at least then they can bowl as well. He was dropped twice today, had an LBW shout turned down that could have gone either way and a top edged sweep that landed just short of deep backward square leg before finally playing an odd little chip shot that went straight up for a good catch. It was a very painful 50 deliveries to say the least, with only 20 runs coming from them.

Now it's up to Clarke and Hussey. Clarke looks in good touch, still flowing on from his great World Cup and Hussey scored 69^ off 40 in the tour match with big sixes and is starting to look a little more settled now.

Boris - don't agree about Punter. He wasn't hustling for that run, it wasn't Watto's fault for once. I realise that Punter probably can't dive these days due to his previous back injuries but he doesn't need to loaf the way he does.

I wish they would bring Johnson up the order. He rarely gets bogged down even if he doesn't score much and White is very painful to watch, players with ugly techniques always look especially revolting when they are out of form. He just seems to have no ability to work the ball around.

Good ton from Clarke. And he was giving it the lash at the end along with Mitch. Good slogging in the slog overs from both of them.

Bangladesh really annoyed me by giving up the chase so early. I hate that. It's an international for god's sake.

White out for Ferguson, so has anyone noticed that Haddin has done stuff all for a long time, many sort of scores with the odd not quite innings, his keeping is plain as well.
Australia 1/90 in 13 overs. Watson having a day out.

Watson - what a star. 185 not out from 96 balls. 15 sixes, 15 fours. Would have smashed Sachin's record if Bangladesh weren't a complete basketcase.

Nairbe, Haddin was our best performer in terms of number of runs scored in the World Cup. He can't go on with it, that's his problem.

It was a good innings, Watto took the Bangers apart, but I don't see how it can be called great. 'Great' would have been in either of the matches in the World Cup against Pakistan or India.

This tour is in some ways just rubbing salt into the wounds.

Paine and Pattinson (debut) come into the Australian side for Haddin and Lee. Surprised they are opening with Ponting instead of Paine, not that it should really matter..

Bangladesh copping it again here 0 for 108 off only 11 overs. Ireland have a right to be pissed missing out on the 2015 World Cup when these muppets get a free pass.

*edit Watson gone.

Greg 'Mo' Mathews is pretty cringe-worthy in the commentary box, almost make you feel embarrassed to be Australian at times the way he goes on..

Australia get 8 for 361 with a Hussey century, hopefully in the run chase Bangladesh at least swing the bat a bit this time even if the total quickly looks out of reach.

Bangladesh copping it again here 0 for 108 off only 11 overs. Ireland have a right to be pissed missing out on the 2015 World Cup when these muppets get a free pass.

*edit Watson gone.
very interesting idea having Ponting open but why not.
Yes totally agree, Ireland are ripped off with bangas this bad.
Good score should be easy win

Smith is killing Bangladesh here, 0/9 off three overs has seen the required rate leap by a run in just six overs.

1/169 off 29, need 9.19 an over now.

Strong score in the end but must have been a flat pitch. Good for Huss to get a ton but it was the regulars that made the runs, all the people that had a chance like smith up the order failed.
The bowling copped a workout to. For how poor the Bangers are ment to be they still managed 295 runs.

I wouldn't read too much into it. The pitches Bangladesh served up were roads, most sides would get 300+ batting on those tracks.

I wouldn't read too much into it. The pitches Bangladesh served up were roads, most sides would get 300+ batting on those tracks.

When are we supposed to start 'reading into it' about our bowlers?

The past 8 months they have been utterly useless at bowling teams out in test and ODI's. Look at the last day in Mohali. At home against Sri Lanka, and don't even bother looking at the Ashes, it's too ridiculous.

It isn't a case of the pitches, even on bowler friendly tracks, they bowl poorly and stupidly, see at least 2, even 3 of the test matches in the past 2 years against Pakistan, home and away; and appear to have just about nil spine when things don't go their way. I have no idea what has happened to our bowlers. They seemed to have had a grand scale collective lobotomy or something.

Back