Australia Tour Of Bangladesh 2011

When are we supposed to start 'reading into it' about our bowlers?

The past 8 months they have been utterly useless at bowling teams out in test and ODI's. Look at the last day in Mohali. At home against Sri Lanka, and don't even bother looking at the Ashes, it's too ridiculous.

It isn't a case of the pitches, even on bowler friendly tracks, they bowl poorly and stupidly, see at least 2, even 3 of the test matches in the past 2 years against Pakistan, home and away; and appear to have just about nil spine when things don't go their way. I have no idea what has happened to our bowlers. They seemed to have had a grand scale collective lobotomy or something.
I found the bowlers in the ODIs have been the best they have been for a long time. The all out pace attack was a bit of a gamble as it came off sometimes and not others, but get guys like Ryan Harris or, as they have now, Hastings along with Lee, Johnson and Watson and that's a good bowling line up. The only iffy parts are the spinner and Smith, but he seems to be bowling reasonably well of late.

With Tests it's much different, I agree, but ODIs I found no problem with them. Just remember the pitch that was offered up for the Bangladeshis in the 3rd ODI was an absolute road, and Australia did still score 70 more runs than them. So if it were a worse pitch you could consider it like Australia scoring 300 and Bangladesh scoring 230. Plus Pattinson made his debut, so go easy on him, and the playing conditions were pretty hot and humid, and after 2 months on tour I don't think a 70 run win can be read into.

On a different point people may say it's only Bangladesh but just think of the way Australia were beating the Associates in their group in the WC. They were even weaker opponents than them and they were winning by much less of a margin, and games like against Zimbabwe they were batting terribly against. This is a vast improvement to be dominating the weaker team, so this tour was a much larger success for them than I anticipated.

When are we supposed to start 'reading into it' about our bowlers?

The past 8 months they have been utterly useless at bowling teams out in test and ODI's. Look at the last day in Mohali. At home against Sri Lanka, and don't even bother looking at the Ashes, it's too ridiculous.

It isn't a case of the pitches, even on bowler friendly tracks, they bowl poorly and stupidly, see at least 2, even 3 of the test matches in the past 2 years against Pakistan, home and away; and appear to have just about nil spine when things don't go their way. I have no idea what has happened to our bowlers. They seemed to have had a grand scale collective lobotomy or something.

Agreed, it was not so long ago i was willing to let them be and hope for development but our bowlers suck. There is a total loss of spin confidence as no one seems to know what to do if the spinner comes on and isn't a match winner. As for the pace attack it is probably a case of the selectors again, Johnson can rip it up about once every 5 or 6 tests and for that they love him but he gets a pasting the rest of the time. Bollinger seems to have lost his buzz, hilfy his swing the only one with a heart is Siddle but he doesn't quite seem to have the edge.
The failure surely has happened four or five years ago with development, we now have bowlers that appear to have the talent but are unable to apply it. The young bowlers need to start coming through and be given a go so they can cover our heartless batting line up.

Back