Australian Politics

cold case

Australian Politics

Politics in Oz doesn't really effect the normal average Joe. 95%, if not more, still have to work 40-50 hours a week until they become old and decrepid. By 65 they may have paid the mortgage off. Therefore, with their 10+ years left as a senile being they will rely heavily on what super they have to accomodate with the umpteen operations they will need to push them to the end.
The rich are getting richer and the rest fend for themselves.
On the bright side though, one can be unemployed, have 4+ children and still live a better life than you and me.
Until politicians can make it easier to live for the average Joe, then politics to me aint worth a pinch of shit!

Re: 2010 British General Election

cold case;397065 said:
Politics in Oz doesn't really effect the normal average Joe. 95%, if not more, still have to work 40-50 hours a week until they become old and decrepid. By 65 they may have paid the mortgage off. Therefore, with their 10+ years left as a senile being they will rely heavily on what super they have to accomodate with the umpteen operations they will need to push them to the end.
On the bright side though, one can be unemployed, have 4+ children and still live a better life than you and me.
Until politicians can make it easier to live for the average Joe, then politics to me aint worth a pinch of shit!

Vote Greens, make a difference.

yeah vote greens make a difference.

more taxes
less jobs
no houses left
all food completely imported from china so we aren't producing co2 farming

voting greens would really make a difference
it would completely screw australia over
Just look at Tasmania
more greens than anywhere else

cold case;397065 said:

I guess at least we don't live in the USA.

a for effort;397070 said:
Vote Greens, make a difference.

Lol.

I really wonder what happens when someone becomes a politician.

They can have the purest of intentions, but as soon as they come out of the other side of an election suddenly they are all the same.

I personally know the nicest and best thinking, most sensible of men, but put him in the council's office and suddenly he becomes a half-wit (hopefully he doesn't see this :D).

Re: Australian Politics

haha. I know 2 of those. Both very funny people unless you start saying that a garden or road needs to be fixed. Then come back 2 hours later.

cold case;397065 said:

The rich normally get richer because they have worked hard for it.

The attitude that the rich have a free ride shits me, often these people have sacrificed other things to get where they have.

One thing that is wrong with the youth in this country is that they are attracted to a quick buck; leave school and do a trade, don't go to university; do a trade, etc, etc.

Kevin Rudd is awful, what has he done since he got into power, rush out the insulation scheme which has cost lives, not to mention the numerous houses that have burnt down.

The guy shits me enormously, yet the working class bogans think his a god.

This country is stuffed when you see a 21 year old who can't construct a sentence, or when they don't even know what a noun is.

Finally I agree with LtD.
Having come out of school in the last few years I noticed that to gain a senior statement or cert of education you don't even have to be literate. Disgrace

There are problems with youth yes. But the majority of us get incredibly pissed off by being branded uncouth youth. More people going to university than ever and are getting incredibly pissed off about all the bad press for schoolies. For christ's sake if their was a work party for a week with 15000 people plus hangers on a few more than 120 people would be arrested, and they actually have something to celebrate. I'm in Cairo doing a degree between the uni here and the museum on ancient egypt and i know of numerous people who are going places because they work hard, one at nasa, for instance.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;397357 said:
One thing that is wrong with the youth in this country is that they are attracted to a quick buck; leave school and do a trade, don't go to university; do a trade, etc, etc.

Umm, perhaps because there is a shortage of skilled tradespeople in Australia? It's not a 'quick buck' either, the first 3 of the 4 years pay stuff all. I think I cleared $230 in the 1st year which was not much more than the dole at the time.

Agree with the insulation thing, can't stand Rudd and Garrett is a complete clown.

This country is stuffed when you see a 21 year old who can't construct a sentence, or when they don't even know what a noun is.

You don't think this is a bit rich coming from a bloke that can't tell the difference between you're or your?

Umm, perhaps because there is a shortage of skilled tradespeople in Australia? It's not a 'quick buck' either, the first 3 of the 4 years pay stuff all. I think I cleared $230 in the 1st year which was not much more than the dole at the time.

Agree with the insulation thing, can't stand Rudd and Garrett is a complete clown. I feel like punching him in the face every time he says 'working families'.

You don't think this is a bit rich coming from a bloke that can't tell the difference between you're and your?

Umm, perhaps because there is a shortage of skilled tradespeople in Australia? It's not a 'quick buck' either, the first 3 of the 4 years pay stuff all. I think I cleared around $230 in the 1st year of my electrical apprenticeship which was not much more than the dole at the time.

Agree with the insulation thing, can't stand Rudd and Garrett is a complete clown. I feel like punching him in the face every time he says 'working families'.

You don't think this is a bit rich coming from a bloke that can't tell the difference between you're and your?

Politics in Australia is quite possibly a rabble. being a politics student, I have done a fair amount of reading into it, and can only come up with the conclusion that political parties in australia are either too close politically or they have too many interest groups pulling the strings as opposed to the 'voice of people' directing the political party.

Labor and Liberal are starting to drift towards the center, which doesnt give the public a alternative. All of a sudden its about the leader and popularity of the leader as opposed to the policies, and the differences to the policies each group is producing.

thats my 2 cents. :)

Yep. Agreed. Turning into america in every facet of society. Only difference here we have greens to piss everyone off.

The three richest people I personally know started and continued their careers in trades, the three poorest people I know went to university.

Uni can get you into large amounts of debt during the most financially pressing time of your life. How many 21 year olds do you know that can honestly say "I'm not going to go to that party because I have to study" every time?

I think it's good to seperate work and home life, especially when young. Going to uni doesn't do that, you have to work part time, work in classes, work at home and to have any other life you have to sacrifice parts of the other three. Yes if you study flat out you'll get good marks and a great job, but you don't have that definition between home and work life.

If you go into the trades you get paid shit all... but that's the difference - you get paid. Get through that apprenticeship or whatever and you will rake in the money. Plus at the end of the day you get to go home and forget your work day.

What I'm doing is going through an apprenticeship in the trades, getting that financial stability and then see if my want and motivation of further study is still open. There is nothing wrong with going to uni a few years later than everyone else, in fact it will probably be easier.

I'm not bagging uni students, in fact I would still say it's the best option open to people after. What I'm annoyed with is the huge pressures there are for that push to go to uni. Don't go to uni and you are 'dumb'.

The ONLY thing I like about Rudd is he likeness to treat those going into trades with the same 'respect' as those going to uni out of school. I repeat ONLY.

Boris;397408 said:
The three richest people I personally know started and continued their careers in trades, the three poorest people I know went to university.

Uni can get you into large amounts of debt during the most financially pressing time of your life. How many 21 year olds do you know that can honestly say "I'm not going to go to that party because I have to study" every time?

I think it's good to seperate work and home life, especially when young. Going to uni doesn't do that, you have to work part time, work in classes, work at home and to have any other life you have to sacrifice parts of the other three. Yes if you study flat out you'll get good marks and a great job, but you don't have that definition between home and work life.

If you go into the trades you get paid shit all... but that's the difference - you get paid. Get through that apprenticeship or whatever and you will rake in the money. Plus at the end of the day you get to go home and forget your work day.

What I'm doing is going through an apprenticeship in the trades, getting that financial stability and then see if my want and motivation of further study is still open. There is nothing wrong with going to uni a few years later than everyone else, in fact it will probably be easier.

I'm not bagging uni students, in fact I would still say it's the best option open to people after. What I'm annoyed with is the huge pressures there are for that push to go to uni. Don't go to uni and you are 'dumb'.

The ONLY thing I like about Rudd is he likeness to treat those going into trades with the same 'respect' as those going to uni out of school. I repeat ONLY.

How old are those guys you mention.

For a start, how does uni get you "into debt" during the most financial pressing time of your life?

A HECS debt is one of the most hasslefree debts you can have. Basically, the government pays for you to go to uni; once you get a job that earns more than 45 000 dollars, you start paying that debt off. The money comes straight out of your pay, so no-one sends bills to your mailbox. How much you pay depends on how much you earn.

However, generally you pay 20 odd dollars a week, or around 1200 dollars a year. That to me, sounds like a very fair deal.

The idea that you don't go to uni and your 'dumb' is mainly put forward by insecure tradesmen, who get intimidated by someone who has a degree.

The problem I have is that people who neglect to finish year 12, simply to pursue a trade, are doing themselves a disservice by neglecting their education by chasing the idea of a quick buck by working 'in the mines'.

How is a HECS debt different to young tradesmen taking out massive loans to buy 40 000 dollar utes and houses at the age of 22?

Some of these tradesmen I know struggle to spell, don't know what a noun is, etc, etc. Funny thing is, these guys are almost proud of being like that.

I'm sorry if I offend you, but a shitload of tradesmen really are not the sharpest tools in the shed.

The idea that people are scared of uni because of HECS is absurd, paying 20 dollars a week for education sounds like a good deal to me, especially as with further qualifications your likely to earn more.

Sure $20 a week is fine. But $15000 a year for accom + food, and more for travel, when you don't have a source of income is pressing on the budget. There's morons in every walk of life. There's a lot of uni students paying for something they can't afford. Whether its a car or a tv or computer etc.

Yes of course the boofheads are in trades because they can't go to uni what a ridiculous suggestion otherwise but the point boris was making is that tradespeople that have some brains can end up on a better salary faster with no debt compared to the average uni student. To be realistic what is the average wage of a uni leaver? $45-50k?

I manage plumbing accounts for a living, so I have to deal with tradies day in day out. Most plumbers basically work for a boss. I hope I dont offend too many by saying that the majority are bordering on being intellectually disabled. As I said 90% are worker bees and the other 10% are in charge. The 10% are the ones who have pushed their skills to the limit, took calculated risks and put their names up in lights. Most of them would be multi's, whilst the worker bees struggle to make ends meet.
The moral of the story is, to look 10-20 years ahead and picture what you want to become. If you put the work in, it will pay off. Work day to day, you might find yourself on struggle street like most of us.

brickwaller99;397413 said:
Sure $20 a week is fine. But $15000 a year for accom + food, and more for travel, when you don't have a source of income is pressing on the budget. There's morons in every walk of life. There's a lot of uni students paying for something they can't afford. Whether its a car or a tv or computer etc.

Yes of course the boofheads are in trades because they can't go to uni what a ridiculous suggestion otherwise but the point boris was making is that tradespeople that have some brains can end up on a better salary faster with no debt compared to the average uni student. To be realistic what is the average wage of a uni leaver? $45-50k?

The point about the cost of accommodation and food is a valid point; however, many universities offer the option of taking courses 'externally'. Basically, they send you your textbooks and /or study guides and you complete the course at home. You may have to come to uni once a term for 'res school' and exams but generally you send your assessment in.

Not all universities offer that option, but at least 50% do.

The average wage of a uni graduate is around 45-50 k, maybe even a bit less, but with time that wage will increase.

Sure, guys with a trade can made good money very quickly, especially when you consider most of these guys are single and don't have to support a family. However, often these guys take out big loans to buy expensive toys, so the idea that these guys 'have no debt' is simply a myth.

As I said, a HECS debt is very much a hasslefree debt, with no interest. You pay it back according to how much you earn, repayments are very reasonable, as I mentioned, normally about 20 dollars a week. If you die, than the debt dies with you.

20 dollars a week is not expensive for a education, in general completing a Bachelor degree will probably cost you about 20 - 25 000 dollars which you pay back @ 20 dollars a week, no interest.

The more you earn, the more you pay back a week.

But you are stereotyping tradespeople.

I know an electrician who was averaging Bs at school. He left at the end of grade 10 simply because he took the risk knowing it would have a high chance of coming off. He absolutely flew through the apprenticeship, finishing it in 2 years. The theory was dead easy and straight away he was the top electrician at the company. He then looked around for high paying jobs, found himself on the way to Darwin to do electrical work for a hotel. Can't remember amounts, but got paid shitloads for 5 days a week work. Then he was offered a job in England to work as the electrician for a 5 star hotel. He managed to secure 80k a year and his accomodation and living expenses were paid for as he lived in the hotel. He also married over there. He lived very well, but saved up a lot. He has since moved back to Australia. He is now 30 this year, owns a boat and is paying off a mortgage comfortably while working for a Sydney hotel. He is now also studying to become an electrical engineer through Energex as experience counts as half of his course. He just had his first child and pretty much he only has to change light bulbs at this hotel and others within the franchise. He is very happy with his work and life.

Obviously this won't happen to anyone, but he sat down in grade 10 and thought hard about this. He could have gone on for a good OP at the end of 12, but he took the risk and was smart enough and patient enough for it to come off. Going into trades don't end your career. He is soon to become an engineer without ever stepping into a university.

These days in Queensland will wait until the end of 12 before they quit school to get their QCEs, but just because someone leaves school for a trade, doesn't automatically make them stupid.

They can live life as it actually is and don't have to spend years in what is effectively school. Those who choose it are definitely worth it, but there is no need for this stereotype anymore with people now stopping and looking, thinking that going to uni isn't the only option for a high paying job.

Back