Back foot shots

Back foot shots

Hello all this is my first post, hopefully these forums will prove very helpful to me and I be very helpful to you.

My name's John and i play cricket at U14's and U15's level.

I'm having a bit of trouble with some of my back foot shots atm. My defence is pretty solid, i've played about 25-30 games for both my clubs and school and never been bowled. I also have a pretty good back foot drive which is a great scoring shot for me. However I am a slow scorer, my average s/r would be about 40-50, there isn't much risk to my game atm but that is because i don't have a pull shot and my cut shot is flawed.

I use my elbow a lot to help me play straight and all that, but because of that i feel i struggle with both of those shots, especially the cut. I tend to close the face too early and i get edges too frequently. While my pull shot is non-existant, i tend to sky them because i don't get myself in position fast enough. Advice here would be fantastic.

Re: Back foot shots

Pull shot is my Forte, Cut shot I'm struggling with getting over the top of myself.

Because I'm more of a back foot player, and I can whip anything off the legs, my trigger movement is a backwards step across the stumps. This then has me in position for my fav shot the Pull shot and I can whip anything away with ease.

From what I know the key to both these shots is to roll your wrists over the top in order to keep it on the ground. Make sure your eyes are level and let rip with the Pull shot, not much more to it.

Oh and Welcome to the forum mate.

Welcome to the forum.

When you play your back foot drive do you actually step back to play it or just hit it off the crease?

For you to be in great position for the pull/hook and the cut you need to pick the ball up early and be able to move into position accordingly. When you pick up the ball you need to move BACK and ACROSS. If you are playing the pull/hook you need to be inside of the ball, eyes focused on it. With the cut you need to move across to the ball, transferring your body weight to put the maximum power through the shot.

With the bat it seems that especially the pull shot you are bringing the bat up from a low position and hitting it with an open blade (obviously just reading into what you are saying as I havent seen a video) but I would say that to correc this you need to bring your wrists/bat from a high position down onto the ball. This will see the ball go down instead of up wards.

Check out the Cut Shot thread which is the batting area :)

Good luck

Yeh i move back and across for my back foot drives. I'm pretty technically correct, so whatever it says in the book i do basically. Just gotta practice lots i guess.

Sounds like you are pretty technically sound ( without seeing you ) . What DK said is spot on too .

I would suggest trying to develop quicker hands , guys who pull and hook well not only get in position early but they have great hand speed through the ball . Get on a bowling machine and gradually increase the pace over time , you will find with some hard work and practice you will eventually get better at this and hooking/pulling will become easier .

SSS,
Is ur team OK with ur style of batting considering the avg strike rate or is it that they want u to change the batting style.

Is it causing a problem to team's score.

Nah, i score pretty quickly when needed, i drive well off both feet, my back foot drive brings me a lot of runs becasue i play on a bouncy wicket and i rarely go out. So i'd just like to learn some square of the wicket shots really. My pull/cut is good against the spinners and medium pacers but just never used against the quickies.

Closing the face early is a symptom of the bottom hand coming in too early to the shot. That's possible with you too which would upset your timing.

Try working on using the full extension of your arms in both shots, letting the top hand control the bat and the bottom hand take over at the right moment.

Back