BACK IN ACTION!! :D :D

wannabekeeper

BACK IN ACTION!! :D :D

Hi every1, I know its been a long time since you guys heard from me, and back then i had just given up fastbowling due to a back injury and taken up keeping. I'm extremely happy to report that after 8 months of dedicated rehab work it is a possibility that I might restart my bowling career. Just to give you some insight; I'm a #3 batsman(first priority) and I used to be the second string keeper and even though i got quite good at keeping, I just didn't enjoy it as much as bowling and fielding so I decided to put down the gloves and find out how i should go about restarting my bowling...after discussing the matter with some prominent ex test players (that coach me) and the physios...it was decided that the best way forward would be to strengthn my body on a whole...so i was put on a program that included deadlifts (100lbs- 10rm), squats (90lbs - 10rm), bench press ( 95lbs - 10rm), and other than that it was mainly alot of ab work on a medicine ball (these varied every session)

So after all that I now personally think that i'm ready to start back bowling but obviously not full steam, I plan to start with gentle medium pace then gradually move back up to where I was at.

I think that my injury last time was due mainly to a poor action and I'm working on rectifying that, I'll try to get a video up of the new action and i would like to know what would be the best viewpoints or angles from which to place the camcorder ( eg directly behind me, base of the stumps etc)

I'll keep you up to date with my progress and i'll get thet video up as soon as the rain stops over here ;).

Re: BACK IN ACTION!! :D :D

Fantastic news WBK and great to see you back. It would be a shame to waste your genetic gifts by not getting back to bowling; if ever I saw a pace bowler, its you :)

Get your coaches to check that action of yours before you spend much time on it. It would be a shame to ruin all that hard work; if your action is indeed the cause of your last injury, it will certainly cause another ;)

Good luck!

A couple from the batsman's viewpoint. Make sure you capture the full run up and follow through.

A couple side on. Make sure you capture the whole body including hands and feet at all times.

hey guys, just an update

I bowled some medium pace for the first time sice my injury and i must say that I'm happy that there are no serious niggles being experienced but my 8 over spell was an absolute disaster lol I had no rhythm, kept bowling short and had none of the pace i had in my prime....I put it down to lack of practice, I shouldn't really be surprised after not bowling pace for about a year.

And also I found that I was tiring very quickly and that caused me to lose my shape at the crease and fall away but i think I bowled for one over too long because now that I have cooled down I'm a little sore in the back but I think its ok because it is not the same kind of pain as before, just a dull pain..

So does anyone have any comments or anything to say about what I should do to move forward..?

i'm 14

Added 2 minute(s) and 46 second(s) later...

I plan on going front on though, in my eyes there are much less complications, i.e, in side on after you plant your back foot parallel to the crease and look out side the front arm, you still have to twist the hips and chest while front on you just ru straight through, how hard will it be to change in your opinion??

lol i get that reaction alot, im 6 ft2'

Added 40 second(s) later...

so what do you think about changing from side on to front on, will it be difficult

Mate nice action it looks like you get alot of pace from it, i dont know about you chaanging your action, you should do what you feel is comfortable while making sure you dont make it a mixed action:)

Well thanks for the support but jack I think that it is easier to messup with a side on because of the twisting involved while front on is just going straight down the pitch.

Yeh mate i can see what your saying, front on is alot more simpler than side on and probly would help alot with accuracy:thumbup1:

6"2 holy thats good nice bowling btw if i havent said im 14 and im 5'5 :( if your side on you get a little bit more pace but front on as Jack said will hekp with accuracy and you have less movements to go through during your delivery

i don't think you should force something just to force it though. if you feel comfortable with front on, then by all means do it, but I don't think anyone would want you to switch actions to something that completely throws off your rhythm and effectiveness.

This is quite a good, solid action WBK.

You have a good run up.

Rotate your left shoulder a tad more; you are looking to the left of your non bowling arm but you are tilting your head to do so.

Try to keep more upright. You have been blessed with great height; use it. At the moment, you make yourself shorter at release ;)

At the end of the action, swing your non bowling arm back and up more smoothly without hesitation.

Keep your follow through run straight; heading towards the target.

As you see, there is not a lot I can say... very good!

Back