Back Injury

Leo

Back Injury

Hi everyone im admin of another cricket forum and AA showed me this one...
Seem to have a lot of experts on here so i thought i'd come and ask about my back injury.

I have been doing winter nets for 12 weeks now and about 5 weeks ago i noticed a pain in my back when i got home. The pain was the whole of my back but this has since improved and its just my lower back now (along the bottom on the two bones that stick out each side of the back)
I went to the doctors and she said she thought it was becuase im growing (im 15) and she gave me some streches to improve my back strenghth
Just wondered if anyone on here had any advice...its agony and i want to be able to play cricket again! :(

Re: Back Injury

Also is there any kinds of supports i could buy for cricket... Would a baselayer provide enough compression?

Hi Leo,

I doubt very much that it is 'growing' pains but I need to know a little more.

What activities were you participating in five week's ago?
Are you a pace bowler?
Left/right handed?
What is your: level of fitness?
Level of activity prior to winter nets/now?
Have you suffered this problem previously?

Leo said:
...its just my lower back now (along the bottom on the two bones that stick out each side of the back)

Do you mean your hip bones or your shoulder blades?

Leo said:
Also is there any kinds of supports i could buy for cricket... Would a baselayer provide enough compression?

Afraid not!

Thanks Liz... I dont mean hips or shoulderblades i mean - If you go down your spine on the left and right hand side i can feel two little bones (not the ones on the side of body)
What activities were you participating in five week's ago? Just Cricket nets and a bit of a kick around with my mates
Are you a pace bowler? Yeah
Left/right handed? Right
What is your: level of fitness? Pretty Fit +slim
Level of activity prior to winter nets/now? Well winter nets started about 2 weeks after last game im regretting starting so early now lots of little niggles!
Have you suffered this problem previously? Never

I have this lady comming on thursday aromatherapist or something

450469.jpg

Its the small things above above the pelvic bones

The lumbar transverse processes!

The vertebral bodies of the lower back are the largest of the spine because they bear the majority of the body’s weight.

Is it possible that you may have hyperextended your back (arched/leaned backwards too far) during this time?

Leo, there are many causes for this type of pain, I believe you may have overstretched the multifidus (core muscle) or the (superficial) Sacrospinalis, more likely the former, rather than any damage to the processes through hyperextension. It should get better on its own. Use ice if it hurts more after activity and if its annoying, ibuprofen.

Of course, I could be wrong as I am unable to examine you so please come back to me if the pain gets worse for no reason.

What stretches were you advised to do?

Erm..
1) Lay on back clasp hands around knees and pull towards chest
2)Lay on back arms out by sides and move the knees to eahc side while upper body is flat on floor

Now that you say it...it does feel like a muscle injury it also tends to hurt just above my buttocks :embarrassed: Hurts when i bend over to pick stuff up aswell if that helps
How long for recovery? Should I just continue with sports?
Thanks im really greatful!

Good exercises, should help a lot. Stretch the hamstrings as well.

Continual with sports unless it becomes really painful.

As for how long - a few more weeks; it should start to fade slowly but it will go eventually, unless you redamage the muscle :D

Liz,

Re; back trouble - well I'm having some at the minute.

I'm in pain - it is my upper back. Sometimes I bend down and I'm in agony.

I arch my back when bowling - what is the problem likely to be?

Do you remember when the pain started and what you were doing at the time?

Is this along the line of the spine or does it involve the shoulder blades too?

It's been a bit off and on since the summer. I've had a trial on Sat and did a lot of bowling, and did more yesterday at club training - and today I'm feeling the effects.

It is just the spine.

It isn't right at the top, it's middle-top.

Sounds like biomechanical malfunction; I suspect you tense this area when you bowl sometimes. You need to concentrate on posture; shoulders back, shoulder blades down towards your 'back pockets'. Take the shoulder girdle out of the action.

You could do with some back stretches too; I shall post one on a 'Stretches for Flexibility...' thread.

Do you have a stability/Swiss ball?

The Yoga exercises will help.

Hi Liz :)

I am experiencing a pain in my lower back particularly at the base of the spinal cord.
It started today after my Net Session maybe pulled a muscle :cursing:while batting.
Please help.

Leo said:
Hi everyone im admin of another cricket forum and AA showed me this one...
Seem to have a lot of experts on here so i thought i'd come and ask about my back injury.

I have been doing winter nets for 12 weeks now and about 5 weeks ago i noticed a pain in my back when i got home. The pain was the whole of my back but this has since improved and its just my lower back now (along the bottom on the two bones that stick out each side of the back)
I went to the doctors and she said she thought it was becuase im growing (im 15) and she gave me some streches to improve my back strenghth
Just wondered if anyone on here had any advice...its agony and i want to be able to play cricket again! :(
ah lol thats exactly wat happnd to me i finnaly wsent to a phsio and they said its stress fractures, becuz of my bowling and becuz i have rapid growth spurts
go to a physio asap its the easiest way

kizza said:
ah lol thats exactly wat happnd to me i finnaly wsent to a phsio and they said its stress fractures, becuz of my bowling and becuz i have rapid growth spurts
go to a physio asap its the easiest way

As I mentioned, there are many causes for this sort of pain and you are quite right kizza, Spondylolysis is always my first thought with pace bowlers (see http://www.harrowdrive.com/core-stability-for-cricket-a-dummies-guide/ ) but it is unlikely to cause pain in the whole of the back. You are more than likely to suffer pain on the opposite side of activity. Spondylolysis is an overuse injury; a stress fracture of the pars interarticularis in the spine. Although not totally unusual, Spondylolysis in both sides of the spine is often associated with Spondylolisthesis or a forward slipping of a lumber vertebrae and should have been picked up by Leo's GP.

If the pain is easing whilst being active, it is more likely to be muscular. However, as I said, if the pain gets worse then Leo must either come back to me or go back to his GP for a photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) scan. It is possible that there is muscular pain as it compensates for any slipped vertebrae.

As for your case kizza, stress fractures occur for a reason; poor core, tight hamstrings, poor technique... and unless you correct it, Spondylolysis has a very high chance of return. Have you been able to stretch the hamstring and gluteal muscles, strengthen core muscles of the abdomen and lower back and had your action analysed with changes made to your technique?

Back