Back-Spinning Deliveries

Forgive me for being cynical. I've frequently read or heard about 100 different leg spin variations, but in all my years of watching coaching and playing cricket I've only actually seen a googly, a topspinner, a slider, and occasionally a flipper (although its often misdiagnosed). I'll happily believe in the others as soon I see clear footage of them being bowled in a game.

SLA, what's this 'Slider' you speak of, how would you describe a Slider as applied by a 'Wrist Spinner'? Is this simply a Leg Break but with the seam angled back or forward in order that the ball lands on the smooth surface of the ball and skids through?

SLA, what's this 'Slider' you speak of, how would you describe a Slider as applied by a 'Wrist Spinner'? Is this simply a Leg Break but with the seam angled back or forward in order that the ball lands on the smooth surface of the ball and skids through?

The same way that leftie described. Its basically an orthodox legbreak, but at the point of release you just allow your fingers to roll down the back of the ball. It comes out with a scrambled seam and a mixture of legspin and backspin. It will still drift in, and it may still turn away a little bit, but most of the time it will just skid on pretty much straight. Warne used it as his main variation for the last 5-6 years of his career.

Lots of offspinner's bowl the same ball.

Ok, I'll try and get footage of me bowling the OBS as I've described it, unfortunately it's the midst of the NZ winter so it may have to wait until my preseason starts. Until then I'll see if I can get a snapshot or quick video of it being released from the hand.

Get yourself over here bro, its still summer weather and its supposed to be winter in a fortnight. I think there is something in this global warming.

I see where you use your thumb on your backspinner leftie600, well i am the opposite I gotta get my thumb well and truly away from the ball for a backspinner.

Get yourself over here bro, its still summer weather and its supposed to be winter in a fortnight. I think there is something in this global warming.

I see where you use your thumb on your backspinner leftie600, well i am the opposite I gotta get my thumb well and truly away from the ball for a backspinner.

That's what we had (The weather) right up till the point where it should have been freezing it was stupidly hot and then no rain for months just grey weather and now it's spring - shed loads of rain!

Global warming appears to be missing Wellington, NZ. I tell ya I've got more and more respect for Jeetan Patel finding his way to international cricket with the mud wickets and freezing weather they have here. My brother was always trying to get me to move to Queensland instead...what the hell was I thinking!

Global warming appears to be missing Wellington, NZ. I tell ya I've got more and more respect for Jeetan Patel finding his way to international cricket with the mud wickets and freezing weather they have here.

What about Vettori ? he did allright. And of course, the greatest of them all Clarence Victor Grimmett didn't leave NZ till he was 21.

What about Vettori ? he did allright. And of course, the greatest of them all Clarence Victor Grimmett didn't leave NZ till he was 21.
Hamilton (Vettori) isn't too bad, pretty good wickets up there, Clarrie did do his thing in Wellington but he had to move to the decent wickets of Oz to make a real impact! The best wickets in NZ I've found are found, no surprise, in NZ's driest places: Canterbury, Hawkes Bay and the Nelson area.

The problem with developing spin in NZ is pretty much the same up and down the country: small grounds, green wickets and overly pragmatic captains.

Here is my take on everything back-spinning:
1) The slider is the delivery that Warne used to bowl. He dragged his fingers down the back of the ball so it had a bit of side spin and a bit of backspin.

2) The zooter is a Warne mind game ball as far as I know. Or just another name for the slider.
3) Karate chop slider - The reverse of the top spinner, no side spin, only backspin.
4) Round the loop backspinner - In my opinion the most effective of all the variations. Bowled in the exact same manner as the leg break but it has some backspin on it so the seam is pointing towards fine leg if your a right handed leg spinner.

I'm probably just repeating everything that has been said, but that is my conclusion and I really don't care what the names are! As long as my backspinner keeps getting 50% of all my wickets I'm happy:D...

Back