Backing Away

mas cambios

Backing Away

I noticed when batting yesterday that my trigger movement is taking me backwards across the stumps and almost makes me appear to be jumping away.

The more I thought about it the more pronounced it got and it left my batting in a bit of a mess. I tried to correct it but nothing seemed to work, even to the point of not having any trigger at all and just trying to keep my head still and getting in line.

Any ideas of how to force myself to get forward? I'm not scared of the ball and I'm used to facing bowling up to the 85mph mark plus but I can't seem to get myself pushing forward, even to the guys bowling 60/70 mph or less. The only thing that may have been at the back of mind was that it was indoors and the floor was fairly bouncy but there wasn't that much short.

Re: Backing Away

I've had this problem myself. I'll give you a tip that staying still is not entirely helpful because it results in you getting rooted to the crease. Look to get the feet moving, whether back or forwards and try to incorperate a trigger movement back and across. Remember, if the bounce is the issue, look to do an Atherton and take an initial backward step whilst keeping the weight on the front foot.

Haven't totally solved it myself, so cannot give much more advice.

I think the problem is that I tend to take too big a step in my initial movement which sends me completely out of line. I'm going to have to get myself taking either a smaller step or in the other direction.

Also, thinking about it now, some of it was due to ring rust - I'm never the best starter, so a break of a few months is not going to see me moving my feet that well.

I saw this on the cricket show. What Tubby did to answer this persons question about backing away, is he put a spare bat down next to his feet, so when he backed away he would step on the bat. And you just practise with people bowling to you like that

yeah jimmy i saw the same thing.... try practising without a bowler... just going through the movements.... i had this same problem (without a trigger movement) and that is how i got over it... it sorta became muscle memory 2 go forward... then once you have that... you can then get your batting back together.... the bat is a good idea... makes sure not 2 do it if you r facing a real quick but (80mph +)

Almost_Austwick said:
Any ideas of how to force myself to get forward?

Have a look at Greg Chappell's " The Making of champions". He covers this topic as well. I tried it and still working on it as well. Basically his argument is to stay on the balls of your feet and consciously tell yourself to go forward. But when going forward try not to make contact with the ground with your heel as this prevents you from going back again if you need to. Its easier to push off the balls of your front foot as opposed to the heel. I'll have a read through it tonight and get back to you on it again tomorrow.

jimmy33 said:
I saw this on the cricket show. What Tubby did to answer this persons question about backing away, is he put a spare bat down next to his feet, so when he backed away he would step on the bat. And you just practise with people bowling to you like that
Jimmy; Can u send the link pls.

never back away it gives the bowler confidence even if u back away accidentally
mabbe u cood take a step forward when hes walking back to his mark then go bak to ur normal position when hes about to bowl?

It was on the cricket show, shown during the luncheon break for Tests in Australia. I think it was the third day, where they give batting advice

I had this problem last year, I was really going through a bad patch of batting and the reason was the one mentionned above in the first post by A_A. (4 consecutive ducks if you're interested... :p)
For me, the best way I worked it out was to sort of crouch down a little (Somewhat like KP's and Younis Khan's stance) and that kind of forced me to either get on the froont foot, or either backfoot. NO feet movement isn't an option as keeping the balance becomes very difficult. But that's how I got rid of this problem and it really helped me a lot in my batting promoting me from number 10 to number 7-8. ^^ Also that didn't stop me from playing the backfoot shots either as I seemed to have more control on my pull shot. That was the method for me, perhaps it might work for you too. ;)

Well, I batted twice yesterday and started off ok, but it got worse as time went on. I know that some of it is down to it being in nets but it doesn't look good either way.

I'll just have to try to work it out, might hire a bowling machine for an hour or two and just get used to going forward again.

yeah sounds like an idea..... m8 dnt let it worry u 2 much... the more u worry about it... the harder it will b 2 fix..

Back