Backlift trouble

Dikon

Backlift trouble

Any tips on how i can straighten my backlift?I was told today that it's coming down at an angle and not straight.I've been wondering why i have had trouble playing on the off side and think this could be the problem.

Re: Backlift trouble

if ur a right handed batsman keep ur left hand tight or if ur left vice verca when ur are lifting ur bat up

hi i want to ask is this right, my back lift is simply i just lift my bat with my wrists and i find this suits me rather than fully extending my arm back thats cuz im a wristy player

It depends if your standing up when the bowl is released like Trescothick or in a crouched position like dravid.

rajan said:
should backlift be straight??..i thought it should point towards slip or something...

I think it needs to be as straight as possible to allow you to play freely on both sides of the wicket.I felt restricted on the off side and then someone pointed it out to me.

a batsmans backlift will vary... you cannot expect every batsmen to have the same backlift just asu wouldnt expect them 2 have the same stance.... if your backlift not being straight is causing a problem... try pointing your elbow towards the bowler.... your next movement should then b directly back... therefore the bat SHOULD come through straight...

just my opinion ;)

NO a backlift should never be perfectly straight. If it is, it will 'lock' in your leading shoulder, thus making you play awkwardly and often having to play with your bat on an angle, not straight like you would want. That said it shouldnt be pointing too far out, slip is probly a good place.

Like AUSSIE_BOY just my opinion

hmmmm ive seen a couple of batsmen with a dead straight backlift.... the key to freeing up your front shoulder is to dip it a little when doing your backlift... i agree that a angled backlift is easier... BUT if u want a straight backlift it is possible in my opinion ;)

maybe you should try pointing your bat towards the keepers right it's not full on straight because its advisable to go straight as
the bat might hit 1 of the pads on the way down. and for the trouble playing on the off-side you can try being in a boxing position which really helped me.

Dikon said:
Any tips on how i can straighten my backlift?I was told today that it's coming down at an angle and not straight.I've been wondering why i have had trouble playing on the off side and think this could be the problem.

An angled backlift will certainly create problems with offside play. I have changed my backlift before and it is just a case of consciously using the new backlift against some chuck downs and reteaching yourself to play all the shots from a new position.

manee said:
An angled backlift will certainly create problems with offside play. I have changed my backlift before and it is just a case of consciously using the new backlift against some chuck downs and reteaching yourself to play all the shots from a new position.

Yeah, it's a bit hard to explain but it's starting horizontally then coming straight when i play the shot, with it straight it's a lot easier.At them moment i takes a lot of effort to play a convincing off side shot.I'll try a few throw downs, think it's just a matter of practicing in nets and getting it right.

Jimmy 33 is spot on. Work on a good grip position and load the bat with your top hand while preparing to play the ball. And forget about where your back lift is coming from. Focus on middling the ball instead.

Back