Backspinning Googly???

CancelledUser2014

Account Cancelled by User
I just had a bowl outside, and decided to bowl a big wrong 'un (Wrong 'un with more side spin) I was amazed when I saw that it creeped low and slowed down after pitching with nearly no turn. (okay, weird)

I'm bowling on concrete, bowled another attempted big wrong 'un, creeped low and slow again! (I'm getting freaked out now)

Final wrong 'un, I decided to bowl it with the seam upright so I can see if I'm bowling it correctly, and sure enough as I looked at the ball spinning through the air, my southpaw version of the googly had the seam pointing towards the leg slip of a right handed batsman!!! A BACKSPINNING googly:confused:
Not wanting to believe it I continued bowling leg breaks, and decided to sit and look at the hand positions for the all the delivery types...

Back of the hand facing me: leg break. Thumb towards the batsman: top spinner. Back of the hand towards the batsman: googly with some top spin. Back of the hand facing the slips: (right handed batsman) backspinning googly!

I'm not going to discuss it any more as I'm fairly shocked that I can even bowl this ball, right now I'm going back to my bowling spot and hope I wasn't hallucinating!

Have any of you had experiences with it before and thought of it as a possible variation? (because if I can bowl it, it's officially, you know, possible and such:D)

Oh and if you don't understand my upside down right side left chinaman talk, if one of you right handers bowled this the back of you hand would face leg slip and the seam would face the slips spinning backwards.

I've tried it hand to hand but never bowled it before. I can't see the advantages of using it as a variation though...

There is probably an advantage in it for me since I'm entirely immune to googly syndrome:) If I see a batsman has a weakness against my googly (finds it much more difficult to play than anything else, even if he picks it) I could use the topspinning version of it as my stock ball against him, coupled with an occasional googly with more side spin and the backspinning googly as my final weapon. That would make me the same as a right arm leg spinner with a big one and slider!

Another way that I can use it would be to make it very, very obvious that I'm going to bowl a googly, but instead of making it spin away I can make it swing back into the batsman (which is possible because of the seam position) and catch him unawares? [If I'm bowling with a new to new-ish ball] Or if I'm bowling with an old ball I could make it less obvious and disguise it better... Any batsman that doesn't try to look at what the bowler does with the hand will think the backspinning googly is a leg break because the seam is pointing in the same direction as my stock leg break, that should be enough to fool most of them.

I'm probably over-complicating things now aren't I?:confused: Everyone tells me I should bowl less variations and should keep bowling only 1 or 2 balls. But what's the use of a solar panel in the shadows is what I always tell them!:D

I've had another look at it, and it's mostly a clean side spin googly. It hurts my shoulder a bit, even the flipper doesn't hurt my shoulder at all, so I'm not too sure about this ball. Probably good in the sense that it will increase my shoulder flexibility! That should make most other deliveries easier and reduce the chance of an injury:)

I just had a bowl outside, and decided to bowl a big wrong 'un (Wrong 'un with more side spin) I was amazed when I saw that it creeped low and slowed down after pitching with nearly no turn. (okay, weird)

I'm bowling on concrete, bowled another attempted big wrong 'un, creeped low and slow again! (I'm getting freaked out now)

Final wrong 'un, I decided to bowl it with the seam upright so I can see if I'm bowling it correctly, and sure enough as I looked at the ball spinning through the air, my southpaw version of the googly had the seam pointing towards the leg slip of a right handed batsman!!! A BACKSPINNING googly:confused:
Not wanting to believe it I continued bowling leg breaks, and decided to sit and look at the hand positions for the all the delivery types...

Back of the hand facing me: leg break. Thumb towards the batsman: top spinner. Back of the hand towards the batsman: googly with some top spin. Back of the hand facing the slips: (right handed batsman) backspinning googly!

I'm not going to discuss it any more as I'm fairly shocked that I can even bowl this ball, right now I'm going back to my bowling spot and hope I wasn't hallucinating!

Have any of you had experiences with it before and thought of it as a possible variation? (because if I can bowl it, it's officially, you know, possible and such:D)

Oh and if you don't understand my upside down right side left chinaman talk, if one of you right handers bowled this the back of you hand would face leg slip and the seam would face the slips spinning backwards.
Can't see it as a potential wicket taking ball , you already has lots of variation so why on earth would you want this ? Lol . Just bowl your chinaman , googly and backspinner , that would be enough to fool even the best of batsman ( if bowled properly ) . And also you say you're telling people : “ what's the use of a solar panel in the shadows ”? But that's the problem my mate , you can't call that a solar panel . Cheers , with kind regards !

Can't see it as a potential wicket taking ball , you already has lots of variation so why on earth would you want this ? Lol . Just bowl your chinaman , googly and backspinner , that would be enough to fool even the best of batsman ( if bowled properly ) . And also you say you're telling people : “ what's the use of a solar panel in the shadows ”? But that's the problem my mate , you can't call that a solar panel . Cheers , with kind regards !

Oh I'm quite certain that it has a good chance of fooling most batsmen at our level. I only got it right a few times anyway and not willing to try again. It was as fast as a regular googly, but with backspin. A problem I have with my googly most of the time is that it bounces over the stumps, if I could make it stay lower it would be more effective against batsmen who leave it. Backspin is a good solution, but too difficult to achieve every time. The Australians developed the flipper for their pitches (which have lots of bounce so nothing hits the stumps) but I'm not willing to practice such a difficult delivery that doesn't even have a high success rate! I don't know all the laws of physics, but is it possible for a bowler to make top spinning delivery skid through lower? Flatter trajectories and a lower release point should do the trick right?

Back