Balls

someblokecalleddave

Balls

Why are some of my cricket balls slightly smaller than others? They're the same weight 5.5oz but definitely smaller and I've noticed that when I'm playing in matches the balls are always the larger variety. Is it just the case that some balls are smaller due to being inferior quality? Is there a standard size?

The reason I'm asking relates to bowling because the larger balls are definitely more difficult to spin if you're a spin bowler and therefore if you are a spin bowler (Or other) would it probably be best to use the full size balls if such a thing exists?

Re: Balls

They'll all differ due to no tree being the same.

They will all be around 5.5oz, maybe a little over, maybe a little under. Its just the pick of the ball really. Even international balls will differ slightly but they'll be more "regular," due to the high standard of play.

Like i say, its normal. ;)

Re: Balls

They do have a standard size but there is some room for manoeuvre within it.

For men's cricket, the ball must weigh between 5.5 and 5.75 ounces (155.9 and 163.0 g) and measure between 8 13/16 and 9 in (224 and 229 mm) in circumference. Balls used in women's and youth matches are slightly smaller.

This is what they use to check that it meets the size requirements:

Ball%20Gauge%20in%20use.JPG

The one ring is for maximum size; the other for minimum.

Generally, the cheaper the ball the more likely it is that you'll see a difference, even from the within the same box you may get 6 balls that feel completely different to the hand.

Like bats, balls are made largely from natural products so there will always be some difference from ball to ball, also, it depends on who is making them, the quality of the cork, wool and leather and how much of each they use.

Back