Baseball gloves - what's that all about?

someblokecalleddave

Baseball gloves - what's that all about?

I've just been watching some old video tapes of last years world cup and seen the NZ team practicing/training using baseball gloves. They appeared to all have them and were throwing the ball back and forth to each other fairly fast. Why? I don't understand why that would be beneficial - can someone explain? :confused:

Re: Baseball gloves - what's that all about?

I think it's just used as a fielding aid, it lets people throw the ball in at a good rate and also enables players to watch the ball into the hand without risking needless injuries.

I know that a lot of coaches use them but its mostly to help them catch a ball being thrown in during practice.

yeah they help you throw more accurately and fast. i think coaches use them but no point in players using it for catching because you dont have that luxury when playing so why use it for training.

Yeah I've seen coaches use it and sometimes players too. Probably it helps the players improve their reflexes without risking any injury.

i can understand using them if your purely practising throwing and quickly!

What i dont get is why do you always see them using rugby balls? whats the relation to cricket?

dont they play like rugby and soccer(football i dont noe what u guys call it srry) just for fun

and half of them end up crippled for it.... won us the ashes though mcgrath and warne got injured playing football

Stumped said:
i can understand using them if your purely practising throwing and quickly!

What i dont get is why do you always see them using rugby balls? whats the relation to cricket?

Only thing I can think is it's for fun and a change from cricket. Probably also makes for a good light intensity warm up\cool down as well.

Good for team bonding, too.

phil2oo8 said:
and half of them end up crippled for it.... won us the ashes though mcgrath and warne got injured playing football

McGrath stood on a cricket ball, he wasn't injured playing soccer..

Were they? Oh my mistake, anyway, it was hardly the rugby game's fault.

LOL football and rugby Balls are banned from our ground.

After last year when our groundsman broke his ankle on a Football (soccer ) Ball.... :lol:

yeah we have them banned as well after a touring team put a football trhough 2 windows in the changing rooms

I think these games are good for relaxing. Its just that if you injure yourself it makes you look silly. If you are a professional cricketer you wouldnt want to get injured playing some other sport.

Yeah I remember when Yuvraj got injured playing kho-kho and broke his knee. He missed the champions trophy and almost missed the world cup too. That was a complete waste of time. Why play other sports that can put them in danger of injury.

That's my philosophy - I surf and when I was younger there was no way that I'd do anything that threatened to jeopardise my surfing - so 5 or 6 weeks leading up to any surf trip you wouldn't have caught me playing aggressive football for instance where I might go and get injured!

Football or rugby is just a form of easy warm-up, far more interesting than running boundary laps, then they move into cricket specific's (fielding, dynamic stretching, bowling/throw-downs, etc).

The gloves are used to protect the hands from needless injury, it drill is to practise throwing and isolating the training into throwing and not worrying about catching.

For catching training you will see many Pro's using 'catching mitts' (similar to rugby gloves) these again are to reduce needless injuries and aches/pains, after catching several hundred training balls over a season, your hands would be pretty sore, so protection to extend the life of your hands.

Hope this helps...

They have little bubbles or some have padding on them to protect your palms and lower fingers. Really strange to catch with at first but great when getting quick, slip fielding drills going. Worth the 10quid or get them in a sale if you can.

Back