batting higher up the order

elliotbrailey

batting higher up the order

i have been selected to bat at number 3 or 4 and am usually at number 7 or 8 any advice on how to face opening bowlers :lol:

Re: batting higher up the order

LOL. Good one.

Don't worry, the ball comes off the bat better opening the batting, so you will get more value for shots, and if you edge a few they might just go over the top of the slips.

Shouldn't this be in the batting advice department?

Ok so I'm usually a number 7 batsman too but got promoted to opening in the recent tournament and let me tell you batting up the order is easier. Just remember not to get nervous just because you're batting higher and try to play your usual game. You would probably want to just concentrate a little harder when facing the new ball though, you don't want to get out early. :p

I prefer batting up the order, there's less pressure to slog and you have more time to try and build an innings. There can be abit of swing early on, and if you get over the first 5-7 overs you'll be fine and can move on and get some runs. I also enjoy the extra pressure when batting as i thrive on pressure situations when batting, i love going in and having to try and see out the final 10 overs to save a draw and the extra pressure of opening is fantastic. Also, there's no better feeling that walking out to the middle with your opening partner, love it. Can't wait to finally get my chance to have an innings again.

I think the major difference is that you'll get to bat for longer time and you'll need to concentrate more. If the team has good openers then you wont have to come out till the 15th over and the opening bowlers are tired by then.

Back