Batting Inner + Block

Boris

Batting Inner + Block

Quite a while ago I had some difficulties keeping my cover drive on the ground, used to hit it out of the middle, but at catchable height. So some people suggested to put a thick inner on my right hand only to keep it down.

I say thanks! Cover drive is now by far my best shot and flies to the boundary. Today I scored almost all of my 28 runs through the covers and some through point. Now things are in perspective and I can still loft the ball, but I can also hit it along the carpet.

It may have opened up a problem though. A problem arose lately where most of my blocks, generally off the back foot (seems to be the only way I block, anything worthy of going on the front foot I normally play at), go backwards. I have been told that my bat is on a large angle as the ball hits it, and the ball normally is blocked along the ground to around 1st/2nd slip.

I haven't gotten out to it, but it give the bowler immense confidence (had a medium pacer thinking he was Shaoib Akthar) and me some embarrassment, plus I don't know how long until I do get out blocking onto my stumps.

Any thoughts? Should I stop using the inner or work on making that hand come through harder or something?

Re: Batting Inner + Block

Sounds like you need to be a little firmer with the bottom hand to be honest. Try it without the inner and see. Rule that out as a cause first of all.

Re: Batting Inner + Block

I was at the nets yesterday, and it does seem to be the problem. With the inner on that hand I have been told my wrist bends at the wrong angle, couldn't spot it myself though.

I don't seem to be able to push through harder though. When I do that I end up playing a straight drive, and I edged one yesterday going to hard at it. Even if I try a dead bat things don't seem to be working.

Not surprisingly I don't know the first thing about blocking properly. If you would be so kind do you have just some general tips to block (mainly blocking on the front foot, often coming a long way out)?

Back