Batting Question

bboy0001

Batting Question

Hey guys, i play U15 i am the opening batter and just have a few questions. I know all of the things about opening like patience watching the ball etc, now when im batting i p;ay myself in but i generally take 30 odd balls until i start making runs is this bad? any thoughts or tips would be good:)

Re: Batting Question

bboy0001;377124 said:
Hey guys, i play U15 i am the opening batter and just have a few questions. I know all of the things about opening like patience watching the ball etc, now when im batting i p;ay myself in but i generally take 30 odd balls until i start making runs is this bad? any thoughts or tips would be good:)

Are you saying you don't make a run for 30 odd balls?

If so, you don't want to get bogged down like that. Drop and run tactics, and sneaking cheeky single can get you from scoring say 5-10 in that 30 balls, to 15-20 runs.

First up it depends on the context of the match. If you're playing on a poor wicket, the ball seaming, swinging and popping like nobodies business then the key thing is staying there. On the other hand, if the wicket is true and the bowling poor then you should be capitalising on it.

Key thing is to not get bogged down - good calling and running between the wickets is crucial. Turn nothings into ones, ones into twos and so on. Rotate the strike as much as possible and look to be proactive on the scoring front. Dominating the bowling is about more than scoring big boundaries every ball.

I think he said in another thread he plays on synthetic? If so, it's pretty good conditions to bat on. As Breeno said, I reckon quick singles would be the way to go. If you drop it to either side of you (towards point or square leg) there is always a run there unless it goes too deep. If you and your batting partner agree to run every time the ball drops within a metre or so to the side of you, then you'll be picking up quite a few quick singles there. This allows you to still play yourself in, but pick up runs at the same time.

well we played on the weekend i got off to an awesome start 22 of 35 but sdaly i got run out by the non strikers call:(

That's not so bad, there has been some great slow opening batsmen around, Michael Atherton wasn't a fast run maker, look at rahul Dravid..
Both these batsmen are World Class..
Just make sure you're not getting bogged down..
Look for the ones and two's..
Always back yourself..
Good luck Champ

Probably the most relevant factor that hasn't been mentioned is whats happening at the other end? Is your partner scoring lots of runs or not? If your partner is scoring 15 runs every over, then pretty much all you have to do is hand over the strike to your partner.

Yeah drop and run and sneaky singles are crucial at the start of all innings, even 20/20. at u15 level most kids arent switched on, eg mid off and mid on. most times the ball hits the pad there is usually a run on and if you know whether a fielder is left or right handed if you hit the ball a metre or so to their opposite side they will have to go around the ball to get it and throw which is a good tactic to hit it to their non preferred side for a single.

There's nothing really wrong with getting yourself settled, as long as you dont feel pressure to score. Just hit the bad balls, and take any runs when you can get them, but be confident in your ability

Here's another question from me to be found at my Blog at Wrist Spin Bowling

Batting at No.11

I'm usually the last bloke in, sometimes I get a shot at No.10 and as expected my contribution with the bat is negligible. A couple of nights ago at the nets I had a bat last thing and managed to keep everyone out, although I think they'd argue that they were all knackered and that it was the first session of the season - which may be so? But having kept them form hitting the stumps (I may have edged one to slips) I'm now wondering what I should do in a game - if I'm there as the other half of the last pair and the games on a knife edge would it be better for me to simply block the ball for all of the over so that the strike changes to the better batsman or to have a go and almost guarantee we lose the game?

That then raises another question in my mind - if I was able to acquire a good blocking technique would that then mean the bowler would try and put the ball into areas outside of the off-stump to tempt me into swinging at it? Then if I was to try that - what's the thing I need to learn in order to do that and be succesful - like rolling the wrists and getting the ball to hit the deck early?

someblokecalleddave;384198 said:
Here's another question from me to be found at my Blog at Wrist Spin Bowling

Batting at No.11

I'm usually the last bloke in, sometimes I get a shot at No.10 and as expected my contribution with the bat is negligible. A couple of nights ago at the nets I had a bat last thing and managed to keep everyone out, although I think they'd argue that they were all knackered and that it was the first session of the season - which may be so? But having kept them form hitting the stumps (I may have edged one to slips) I'm now wondering what I should do in a game - if I'm there as the other half of the last pair and the games on a knife edge would it be better for me to simply block the ball for all of the over so that the strike changes to the better batsman or to have a go and almost guarantee we lose the game?

That then raises another question in my mind - if I was able to acquire a good blocking technique would that then mean the bowler would try and put the ball into areas outside of the off-stump to tempt me into swinging at it? Then if I was to try that - what's the thing I need to learn in order to do that and be succesful - like rolling the wrists and getting the ball to hit the deck early?

I don't have any answers to the technical side of things, but IMO a number 11 should concentrating on blocking. The aim is just to stay there as long as possible.

Even in a one day match, say 15 to win off the last two overs, and your facing the second last over, all you need to do is just block it to one side or the other and run for your life. Either that or just block out a maiden. It's better to be chasing 15 from the last over than losing the match by 15.

When I batted eleven (I know bat 6/7) that was all I did, and I once put on a 75 run partnership with the number 3 batsman, even though I scored 4 runs.

So in the nets just work on the blocking technique, not that I can suggest one (refers that I actually have a 'block' :p), would be my suggestion.

Back