BCCI lodges complaint against Dalmiya

pal

BCCI lodges complaint against Dalmiya

The Indian board has filed a formal complaint with the police against Jagmohan Dalmiya, the former board president, accusing him of misappropriation of funds during the 1996 World Cup.

Niranjan Shah, the BCCI secretary, and another board official, filed a complaint at a south Mumbai police station today afternoon. PTI reports that both officials spent "a few minutes" at the police station but exact details of the complaint have not been disclosed.

A few hours after the complaint was lodged, Dalmiya reponded by saying there was "no truth in their allegations" and that they were based on "malicious intent".

"First, they [the BCCI] asked me to hand over the papers, which I did. Thereafter, they raised certain queries, which were required to be answered by me within seven days. Even before the deadline, they issued a show cause notice. Despite that I have answered all the queries and yet, now these false criminal charges," he said in a media release.

"It is all the more surprising that such action has been taken by the BCCI even when the matter is sub-judice," he added.

The board headed by Sharad Pawar had recently appointed a three-member committee to look into irregularities in the PILCOM (Pakistan-India-Lanka Committee) account. The PILCOM had overseen the conduct of the1996 World Cup held in the subcontinent.

Last week the board issued a show-cause notice to Dalmia on this issue and gave him 15 days to reply to it. Dalmiya then obtained a stay order from the Calcutta City Civil Court against the show-cause notice. Subsequently, the board's lawyers challenged the stay order at the Calcutta High Court and today a division bench comprising Justice Bhaskar Bhattacharya and Justice PN Sinha, refusing to pass any interim order on the matter, directed that the appeal would be heard tomorrow.

On March 10 Dalmiya had demanded that an outside expert agency be appointed to probe the charges leveled at him. "I am ready to sort out the matter on the table. I invite them [his rival group in the board] to sit with me. There are expert agencies like Price Waterhouse Coopers and McKinsey. Let us take their help on various issues," Dalmiya said.

The reviewing of the PILCOM account had raised several pertinent questions. These include: the absence of proper audits from 1996 to 2006; the fact that the Kolkata bank account meant for legal expenses relating to PILCOM was wound up on February 4, 2006, when Dalmiya was not authorised to do so as he ceased to be convenor secretary from January 23, 2006; Rs 65,000 was withdrawn in cash every month from April 2005 to December 2005 without any voucher or supporting documents. [/quote:acp08gf8]

Seems like they're pushing out the Ganguly crowd. It would be interesting to see Dalmiya in jail though.

Back