Benaud to retire from commentary

Ljp86

Staff member
Benaud to retire from commentary

After almost 50 years behind the microphone, Richie Benaud will finally end his outstanding commentary career at the end of the 2009/2010 Australian cricket season.

Benaud got into commentary in 1964 shortly after his retirement from the game and he joined the Channel 9 team in 1977.

"I'll be doing Australian cricket next year, 2010, but I don't do any television at all anywhere else now and when I finish next year, I'll be doing other things," he told Macquarie Radio.

Benaud calls stumps on commentary career

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, pretty sad day for Australian cricket. Such an icon of the game here and over in England. His humour and demeanour has always been a part of the Australian summer and now we've only got one more season if it left.

Ah Richie, you will be missed mate.

Re: Benaud to retire from commentary

Ah yes who will lead the commentry team? Perhaps another great Aussie leggie. Perhaps slats or Gilly...

gbatman;326898 said:
Ah yes who will lead the commentry team? Perhaps another great Aussie leggie. Perhaps slats or Gilly...
Well to answer your question- Richie has hand picked Mark Nicholas to take over! ;)

While the commentary box has become more crowded every season, with Bill Lawry, Ian Chappell, Tony Greig, Mark Taylor and Adam Gilchrist all having led their countries at cricket, Benaud is the undisputed leader. He pushed Gyngell to choose his replacement, going beyond the ranks of captains past to bring Mark Nicholas from England.

"He's the captain of the team. You ask any of his fellow commentators, he's the captain," Gyngell said. "He was the one who influenced me to work with Mark Nicholas a number of years ago, to work with him as an understudy, who he thought would be a great replacement. He really helped to make that happen.

Age of beige almost over, as Benaud makes a sporting declaration - Cricket

Richie- you will be missed! :(

On his performance both as a player for Australia but in particular in the commentary box "Marvellous effort that".:):(

Ritchie is going out at about the right time and he will certainly be missed.

Billy Birmingham has to come up with one more 12th Man album :)

What will Billy do now! I think Mark Nicholas will be number 1. He's What Ringo Starr Was to Thomas The Tank Engine to Cricket :p

With Rich going, hopefully Gilchrist or Warne get a permanent gig in the commentary box. Even James Brayshaw in there more often would be good.

Brayshaw's style suits the shorter forms of the games, not sure how he would go in Tests.

Kram81;327019 said:
Brayshaw's style suits the shorter forms of the games, not sure how he would go in Tests.

I agree. But it would be interesting to see.

Mark Nicholas is a fine replacement.

I like JB, speaks his mind and actually knows a bit about cricket. Was the first one I have heard bring up Hilf's short bowling problem and he discusses the situation of the game fairly well. We tend to forget he was a handy state cricketer...
He's not afrade to say what he thinks and livens it up a bit.

1964 - 2010

Goodnight, Sweet Prince

BenaudGetty_228x268.jpg

Back