Best English Spinner

mas cambios

Best English Spinner

With Monty having a below average series in Sri Lanka and the news that Saqlain Mushtaq would consider playing for England if asked, who do you think is currently the best English qualified spinner?

I'm not quite sure myself as you have a few suspects in Keedy, Swann and the two mentioned above. Then there are the younger guns in the form of Rashid and Munday.

So, who would you pick now as first choice, back up and for the future?

Re: Best English Spinner

Would you consider Saqlain Mushtaq at all? Personally I wouldn't as he's played for another test nation but I know that some people think that you pick the best available, regardless.

If he's the best player available, there shouldn't be a problem in selecting a player like Saqlain. He's definitely got the ability to perform and that ability isn't going to be affected because he's playing for another nation. At 31, age shouldn't be too much of a problem for him either, but, England will probably better served in the future to keep developing Panesar and Rashid.

Obviously Monty didn't do well in the Sub-Continent, hopefully his Lions tour later this month/next month? Either way, HE should be taking wickets on those pitches, i mean he can do it on green tops, so why not dust bowls? Still young though, plenty of learning.

I'm suprised you mentioned Keedy there Tom, i think he's slightly too old now although its a disappointment that he hasn't been around the England set up, it'd be interesting to see how'd he would have done had he got the assistance of the international set up.

Rashid/Munday can be talked of as "the future," but they're too young to know. Rashid cannot be rushed if he is to become Englands worldclass leggie.

Swann has done promisingly well, i think he's the type of player who could act as the "Ashley Giles," in the England set up. He can bat well on his pomp, and he can bowl cleverly, and i suppose along with Monty thats all you ask. It'll be interesting also to see how England do it in NZ if Swann gets in the team, i mean, surely Monty will be in the tests, but will Swann and if so, what will his responsibilities be?

Just remember, Daniel Vettori has plyed his trade in New Zealand as the allrounder, so could Swann find that kind of success in the ODI at least? I genually hope so.

Almost_Austwick said:
Would you consider Saqlain Mushtaq at all? Personally I wouldn't as he's played for another test nation but I know that some people think that you pick the best available, regardless.

I would if he shows he really wants to saying he wants to and actually doing it is a massive thing, he would lose a lot of fans from Pakistan if he did make the switch.He hasn't shown the form as of yet to warrant a selection in the team.

That's a fair point there, Dikon. I guess he would have to factor the reaction in Pakistan and weigh that up against the lure of playing international cricket. From what I gather he seems pretty settled in the UK so that may only be a minor concern.

Keedy - was brought up as we were trying to think of English qualifed spinners, at least one from each county. His was the name that popped into my head when making this thread.

I also think Rashid is one for the future, needs careful nurturing though. He can bat so as along as his bowling develops he'd be a wonderful asset.

Swann - has the ODI spot for now, no reason why he can't be an English Vettori.

Panesar for now, rashid down the line somewhere. Picking Mushtaq is a disgrace and doing so would show how stupid cricket can be. Fair enough if he had a handful of caps and wanted to play for us but when you've played so many tests for pakistan its stupid to allow him to play for another country.

saqlain is surely a great spinner but i dont think its right for someone who has played so many years for another country. will he be faithful to england?
monty panesar is the best spinner currently i think but hes not a world class spinner as some people make him out to be. he needs to learn a lot of tricks.

I think Monty has the potential but he's under a lot of pressure - too much expectation from people who know little about the game.

If Saqlain Mushtaq plays for England then he is a traitor, you play for your birth country not for whoever you can get a game for.

Panesat will do ok for a little while but i like the look ok the young kid from Yorkshire - Rashid is it? He could be a very good player.

khan nasir said:
If Saqlain Mushtaq plays for England then he is a traitor, you play for your birth country not for whoever you can get a game for.

I think a lot of people will probably agree with you on that one. I don't think there is much chance of him being picked though, unless England get very desperate.

Almost_Austwick said:
Who were the spinners called up to the developmental training days? Anyone with decent prospects in there?
Not sure about the training days but Dawson at Hanmshire is a young spinner with talent.Working under Warne will no doubt help him along.

It would be interesting though, if Saqlain Mushtaq ended up playing for England and he was asked to tour Pakistan. Thats something to think about

I don't like the idea of Saqlain playing for England. After playing 49 Tests and 169 ODIs for Pakistan they shouldn't let him represent England. I'm sure he will become very unpopular in Pakistan if he does represent England.

Yeah, i don't think it should happen, but it would be interesting to see what happens if that situation should occur

Almost_Austwick said:
I think a lot of people will probably agree with you on that one. I don't think there is much chance of him being picked though, unless England get very desperate.

The more I think about it the more I am certain that he would be in troubled waters if he toured Pakistan as part of another team. :cursing:

khan nasir said:
The more I think about it the more I am certain that he would be in troubled waters if he toured Pakistan as part of another team. :cursing:

That's a bit harsh? The guy has paid his dues, has legally gained English citizenship and is entitled to seek cricket at the highest standard he can. Maybe Pakistan shouldn't have been so quick to cast him aside? Kaneria isn't hat much better now, is he?

His stats are better in all forms of the game, plus he's scored a test ton (which I never knew!).

Back