Best way to gaining weight

phil2oo8

Best way to gaining weight

Hi,
I'm 15(16 on 1/10) and am now 6ft 3inches-6ft 4 inches and weigh exactly 11 stone 10 pounds......
My coach reckons i have a chance of getting noticed by lancs if i a) find an extra yard over winter and b) gain some weight...... btw u can c my bottom ribs sticking out orribly (not nice) .... i rarely get seriously bad injuries (only my shoulder really), but i often get nasty little niggles that stop me bein at full throttle.... my coach reckons if i gain some weight it could help me gain a little extra pace and it could stop these minor injuries..... but the problem is no matter how much crap i eat or how lazy i try 2 be i don't gain weight!!! For example my usual diet in a day is:
Mornin
1 bowl of cheerios
2 cups of coffee
Biscuit

snack
Bar of chocolate

Dinner
3 Sandwiches
2 bars of chocolate
a bag of reg. crisp
a drink

Wen i get ome

2 bags of crisps
a bwl of cheerios or 3 rounds of toast
pint of whole milk

TEA

Large serving of whatever familie having (i.e a chinese takeway meal 2 myself)
cordial

Supper
bowl of cheerios
Pint of whole milk

I think but i'm not sure why i can't gain weight but i think it may be down to training or playing cricket on everyday but friday.

What can i do to gain weight? and is my coach right?

oh ye i'm not going to lie i don't eat any fruit at all... i may eat some peas with my tea at best

Re: Best way to gaining weight

eat more healthy foods, liz gave me a good lecture on all the crap i was eating, you need to eat more fruit (5 a day),it helped me gain alot more muscel rather than wheight, which is better.

Two things that strike me...

1) Hope you don't mind me being blunt, but your diet is rubbish.
2) For a person of that height, you're a skinny kid and lack any real muscle. You need an increase in lean muscle mass and stat... And that's easy as!

Well i kind of guessed that my diet was rubbish

but what should i eat or do to gain weight because nothing works at all... i might get weight gain shakes and crap like that but i was just wondering if there was anything more natural that i can eat.

sorry, meant to write a little more after that, but accidently hit post and figured i come back to it.

I imagine you're coming to the back end of your season now?

I wouldn't be focusing on putting on muscular bulk right now. Look to clean up your diet - move away from chocolate and crisps as snacks; make up some home made mueslie or protein bars for snacks. Introduce plenty of fruit and vegetables - especially the green leafy stuff, and up your consumption of good, proein rich foods - chicken, fish, nuts, eggs, etc.

Nutrition is not that hard - just takes a bit of restraint. Just think of it in these terms - your body is an engine; it'll run on crappy fuel, but engine life dissipates, you get less mileage, the ride is bumpy and the byproduct is generally filthy and gross. Good quality fuels last longer, go further, help the car run smoother, and the waste is far less harmful.

Your height, plus your coaches statements tell me that you've got the potential to be a really good, effective cricketer - but right now you're fueling your engine wrong. If you're playing cricket all but one day a week, you should be eating well, and you should be eating a hell of a lot. Good food is essential to recovery.

Once your season is over, that's when you can shift your focus to really putting on muscular bulk. If you can, find a good gym locally - which is not necessarily one with a thousand different machines. Strength training is the best way for a young athlete to put on lean muscle mass - within three months of eating well, and lifting right, you could easily put on another 10 - 15 pounds (if not more). Benefits of that are incredible.

With MV here, I can go on a long holiday :laugh:

As an ectomorph, you will find it really hard to gain weight. I know it's great when everybody [especially the girls] hate you because you can shovel in the junk and still remain slim, but it does have a downside.

Being an ectomorph, you will have to work really hard at building more muscle mass, especially as we are at the start of the rugby season ;). Follow all of MV's advice with the food and the resistance work and take a whey protein shake/smoothy after a workout/training.

You need to eat much more at breakfast... bin the cheerios and substitute it for an oat based breakfast, porridge/mueslie etc You could also reduce the coffee and add a glass of 50% real fruit juice, 50% water.

Get rid of the chocolate bars at break and substitute oat/muelie bars.

Lunch: I hope this is wholemeal or seeded bread and the fillings are chicken/tuna/egg! Drop the chocolate bars [again!]. Save these for a treat not a norm. Introduce raw carrot sticks/apples/bag of dried fruit. Drop the crisps, introduce mixed unsalted nuts/seeds.

Whatever your main meal is, make sure at least half the plate is full of veg... any veg... the more colourful the better.

I think you get the idea... at the moment you are not eating nearly enough and what you are eating is serving little purpose, especially nutritional.

!!!AND DRINK MORE WATER!!!

yer my season finishes next weekend so thats why i was going to try when i had no cricket to get in my way.

I was wondering because i can't stand fruit or vegetables.... would it be alright if i made smoothies and stuff out of the fruit rather then eating them??

how fast do you bowl at ? and fast bowlers dont realy want to be skinny also what club you at ??

Liz Ward;29933 said:
As an ectomorph, you will find it really hard to gain weight. I know it's great when everybody [especially the girls] hate you because you can shovel in the junk and still remain slim, but it does have a downside.

Being an ectomorph, you will have to work really hard at building more muscle mass, especially as we are at the start of the rugby season ;).

I pretty much fit the bill here too - I put away a HUGE amount of food yet I staunchly refuse to gain weight!! I'm 17 and about 9 months, just under 6 foot and yet I weigh just under 10 and a half stone!!

My shoulders are a fair bit wider than my waist so I don't know if I'm a proper ectomorph but I also find that I have smaller muscles than some of the other guys. I worked at it last year and my muscle tone is fairly good but the bulk isn't there. I'm strong enough to get by in rugby as a back row player but up against the big 15st guys I have no hope of ripping the ball off them.

I'd say my diet was pretty good, if slightly lacking in fruit but I eat a lot of veg and meat. I think I'm pretty happy the way I am - I don't want to end up fat the minute I stop working out - but a bit more bulk might be useful. I'm guessing the advice is similar to KPs??

Being 'happy the way you are' is an important ingredient for success :D

Don't worry too much about the 15 stoners; the ELVs will sort them out!

Use your core to create a solid base and activate agility mode... there is more than one way to skin a rabbit!

... oh and sleep. quality sleep is fundamental to recovery! eat big, train big, sleep big and you've got yourself a recipe for increasing muscle mass!

i think you will find "lovethegame" its a bit more technical than that, but thanks for teh contribution and welcome to simply cricket!

yh, just eating dosent work at all, i used to eat **** loads of proccessed crap ( still do) and didnt gain wheight, but since i introduced fish meat and fruit with my proccessed crap ive gained a little bit.

Back