Best/Worst Cricketing Achievements

Ljp86

Staff member
Best/Worst Cricketing Achievements

Throughout the world there are going to be great batting achievements or very poor ones, whether it be a fast hundred or a team bowled out for very little.

We want to see high scores, amazing batting feats, record high/low scores. Super bowling efforts, worst bowling figures, things to that effect. Anything considered to be simply amazing or just downright awful.

Here's a couple to start us off,

This occured over the weekend in the Association I play in.

From all known records, the highest score achieved by a batsman in the WASTCA occurred in a One Day Competition Division 3 game on 6 March.

Young Brad Tinker from the Swan Athletic/Caversham club took full advantage of a depleted opposition to pound out 47 sixes in his 33 over stay at the wicket. That is an amazing 282 in sixes in his total score of 315 off 33 overs.

By himself, Brad scored at just over 9.5 runs per over while his team scored at just under 12.7 runs per over in amassing 6/444 from 35 overs. A feat not likely to be repeated very often by either one batsman or a team!

Scorecard

Quite amazing really.

Here's another one but at the other end of the spectrum.

Scorecard

All out for 4. Yikes!!

Re: Best/Worst Cricketing Achievements

I played a game where we lost 'twice' before tea. Game started at 2pm, tea was at 4pm. We got rolled for 12 and 21 although average age of our side was about 15 (including a 70 year old) and they were league champs.

One of our grade teams had to survive 10 overs at the end of the last day for a draw. They lost their 9th wicket on the last ball of the day, and the number 11 had been injured earlier and had to leave the ground. So they were effectively all out, but it was called a draw because there wasn't a delivery left to 'bowl' at the injured batsman :p

A long time ago (mid 1990s) we were back at the pub by 2pm after a 1pm start in a one day game.

Opposition all out for 16, including the first ball of the innings being a stumping off our quickest bowler. The total was chased down in 9 (might have been ten) deliveries.
Admittedly, they were playing a depleted team due to it being a long weekend.

I played for Grays & Chadwell cc in Essex England a few years back and they had this little kid called Callum Sellars who bowled left arm Orthodox, he used to play in the 3rd/4th XI adult matches and used to clean up half a team in a matter of a few balls!

I remember going to Napier three years ago and being bowled out for under 50 in every match except one where we should have won. We were all under 17, versing the premier sides but I wasn't to upset as I was a bowler and getting premier batsmen out. :p

I think the prize to the best cricketing achievement has to go to a team we had a friendly Sunday game against last year.
They all turned up late, won the toss, said they would field despite having only 5 players there. We suggested perhaps they should bat instead, which they reluctantly did.
They were pretty hopeless, our part-time league bowlers had them at 30-4 off 20 overs, so we thought we would make a game of it by giving long spells to non-bowlers to try and help them up to a decent total. We stopped appealing for lbws etc.
We should probably have had misgivings at this point at the relish with which they slogged our 12 year old bowlers over midwicket. With much assistance we got them up to 180 all out.

Anyway, after tea they refused to use the match ball and instead brought out a ball they had "prepared" earlier with one suspiciously shiny side and one rough side. They actually had two quite quick and aggressive opening bowlers, and with this ball bending all over the place they were a right handful. Nevermind we thought, at least when the kids go in they will ease off and mix the bowling up a bit.

But no, they kept the same two bowlers on for the entire innings (15 over spells a piece). I have never seen anything so repulsive as a grown man bouncing a clearly terrified 11 year old child and then giving him a send off when he knocked back his stumps with his dodgy manufactured ball the next delivery.

They ended up winning by 40 runs as we looked on in sheer bemusement, and all hugged and dived on the ground like they had won the league. Unsurprisingly we told them to f**k off and not come back. Perhaps in hindsight we should have asked them to leave about 20 overs earlier.

I think the prize to the best cricketing achievement has to go to a team we had a friendly Sunday game against last year.
They all turned up late, won the toss, said they would field despite having only 5 players there. We suggested perhaps they should bat instead, which they reluctantly did.
They were pretty hopeless, our part-time league bowlers had them at 30-4 off 20 overs, so we thought we would make a game of it by giving long spells to non-bowlers to try and help them up to a decent total. We stopped appealing for lbws etc.
We should probably have had misgivings at this point at the relish with which they slogged our 12 year old bowlers over midwicket. With much assistance we got them up to 180 all out.

Anyway, after tea they refused to use the match ball and instead brought out a ball they had "prepared" earlier with one suspiciously shiny side and one rough side. They actually had two quite quick and aggressive opening bowlers, and with this ball bending all over the place they were a right handful. Nevermind we thought, at least when the kids go in they will ease off and mix the bowling up a bit.

But no, they kept the same two bowlers on for the entire innings (15 over spells a piece). I have never seen anything so repulsive as a grown man bouncing a clearly terrified 11 year old child and then giving him a send off when he knocked back his stumps with his dodgy manufactured ball the next delivery.

They ended up winning by 40 runs as we looked on in sheer bemusement, and all hugged and dived on the ground like they had won the league. Unsurprisingly we told them to f**k off and not come back. Perhaps in hindsight we should have asked them to leave about 20 overs earlier.

Brilliant story SLA, I'm laughing whilst being disgusted at the same time, you couldn't write that, that'll end up in a film some day!

'Brilliant' wasn't the word I had in mind. 'Staggering' or 'unbelievable', perhaps. How on Earth did they get away with using a "pre-prepared" ball? Was the result deemed official? Did they pull that stunt with any other teams? It certainly reads like a work of fiction; I don't doubt the authenticity of the story, SLA, but it's hard to imagine that some "cricketers" would stoop so low. :mad:

'Brilliant' wasn't the word I had in mind. 'Staggering' or 'unbelievable', perhaps. How on Earth did they get away with using a "pre-prepared" ball? Was the result deemed official? Did they pull that stunt with any other teams? It certainly reads like a work of fiction; I don't doubt the authenticity of the story, SLA, but it's hard to imagine that some "cricketers" would stoop so low. :mad:

It was only a friendly game, so there was no "official" result.

I think the difference was that we're a league team and hence treat friendlies as a bit of fun and an opportunity to give youngsters a go, and aren't really bothered about who wins as long as everyone gets a bat and a bowl, whereas these guys only played a few friendly games a year and hence took them a bit* too seriously and actually cared about winning.

*for a bit to seriously, read way, way, way too seriously.

Absolutely disgusting and probably evidences the fact they know how bad they are and had to move to these tactics to win. If it wasnt for the fact that kids were involved I would laugh more about it but this move could have put the kids off playing cricket by scaring the wits out of them!

I played for Grays & Chadwell cc in Essex England a few years back and they had this little kid called Callum Sellars who bowled left arm Orthodox, he used to play in the 3rd/4th XI adult matches and used to clean up half a team in a matter of a few balls!

Hi mate - presume this is the same Callum Sellars - http://www.thurrockgazette.co.uk/sport/4434868.Orsett_are_leasing_South_Essex_club_in_division/

Would be interesting to see how he has progressed since then as he will be of an age to move into a professional club now if he kept up with his bowling.

Back