Best Young Players.

Simbazz

Best Young Players.

Theres plenty out there, who are they? Where they from? Why can they make it to the top?

Post them in here!

Re: Best Young Players.

I think that some players that are up and coming that are considered to be youngsters are Luke Wright and James Harris. They both have a lot going for them.

Does 22 count as that young? I know he has been mentioned quite a lot in view to a future England player but Joe Denly oozes class. With the bat and in the field he is very, very good. A definate star in the making who will without doubt represent England for many seasons.
That`s his career jinxed then.

Wayne

I like the look of Denly and think he may get a chance after next year's Ashes series. Shaky start to the season (iirc) but he has come back strongly. Would be great to have an opening pairing of Cook and Denly - if it went well they could be there for the next 10 years.

Billy Goldmen (not sure of spelling) have seen this kid bat a couple of times and I tell you he could smack it to a few parts of the ground. High hopes for the kid

Woakes (19) - Warks
Meaker (19) - Surrey
Malan (20) - Middx
Godleman (19) -Middx
Morgan (21) - Middx
Williams (21) - Middx
Northeast (18) - Kent
Dawson (18) - Hants
Mickleburgh (18) - Essex
Clare (22) - Derbys

Slipstream;266517 said:
Woakes (19) - Warks
Meaker (19) - Surrey
Malan (20) - Middx
Godleman (19) -Middx
Morgan (21) - Middx
Williams (21) - Middx
Northeast (18) - Kent
Dawson (18) - Hants
Mickleburgh (18) - Essex
Clare (22) - Derbys

Slipstream would you be able to give the bigcricket community a little run down on what each player does, chances of higher international success etc. ?

I also like the look of Craig Keiswetter, a young SA batsman/keeper one to keep an eye on.

Slipstream;266517 said:
Woakes (19) - Warks
Meaker (19) - Surrey
Malan (20) - Middx
Godleman (19) -Middx
Morgan (21) - Middx
Williams (21) - Middx
Northeast (18) - Kent
Dawson (18) - Hants
Mickleburgh (18) - Essex
Clare (22) - Derbys

I don't have much exposure to English county cricket, but I have heard of some of these guys. Malan pretty much single-handedly won one of the 20-20 cup games for Middlesex and I reckon he'll get a shot at international in a few years. Eoin Morgan is probably the most talented batsman that Ireland has ever produced - I think he's in the process of qualifying for the England team, hopefully he'll do well when he gets in there.
And Liam Dawson will open for England in a few years according to Jrod over at CWB
I've heard of Billy Godleman too, but don't know anything about him. I guess the fact that I've heard of him means he's making waves :D

Looks a good list Slipstream - I'd love to hear your thoughts on their prospects as D.K was asking.

Woakes - Bowler who can bat. Medium pace at the moment but very economical. Has taken 35 wickets at 20.80 econ 2.74 this season. His highest f/c score with the bat 64*, averaging just under 30. Played Under-19 for England

Meaker - A very fast bowler. No one has recorded a higher speed (92mph) at the Academy including Harmison. He is about 5'11 and skiddy. Brought up in SA until he was 12. He feels as he gets stronger will be bowling at 95 mph. Played his 2nd f/c game yesterday for Surrey. Also played for the Under-19s.

Malan - Born in London, brought up in SA. Left hand batsman and bowls some legbreaks. In a recent 20/20 he got MOM for 103 from 51 balls. After 8 matches in the CC he is averaging 40.16 having made his f/c maiden century. He probably will be going to Antigua with Middlesex to play in the Stanford matches.

Godleman - Most likely to open the bowling with Cook in the next few years. Left hand batsman with lot of patience to build an innings, only problem I have seen is running out his partners. Has had a run of low scores this season and was dropped for a few games and came back and made a six hour century in the game before last.

Morgan - Irish but has an English mother and a British passport. Said to be better than Strauss. Middle order left handed batsman.

Williams - Fast bowler, bowls in the high eighties. Not economical at the moment. Played one CC game last year taking 5 wickets. Will have to wait for a chance with so many Middx bowlers around.

Northeast - Scored 19 hundreds at Harrow. I think he has only had one f/c game and one one day game against the touring Sri Lankans and made 62.

Dawson - Bats and bowls left arm spin. Under 19 player. In the Pro 40 took 11 wickets at 13.72.

Mickleburgh - Made his debut for Essex and scored 60 the other day. Don't know too much about him, top order batsman.

Clare - Young all rounder who played his first season in f/c cricket and was one of the nominees for Cricket Writers' Club Young Cricketer of the year. In a recent match against N'hants made 129* and took 74/7. His average this season is 555 runs at 42.69 and 31 wickets at 28.09. He is also a great fielder. About 6'4 and medium pace at the moment.

Harris I rate and Denly. I also think Clare is a good pick.

Finn at Middlesex (6 foot 7 inch fast medium) and Shahzad at Yorkshire (not that young at 23, but a fast bowler with potential) plus Westley at Essex (batsmen).

Obviously Broad and Cook are both still kids and Rashid has huge potential.

If I had to pick one?

Rashid.

Joe Denly
Billy Godleman
Ravi Bopara
Eoin Morgan
Dawid Malan
Steven Davies (WK)
Adil Rashid
Tim Bresnan
James Harris
Stuart Broad
Robbie Joseph

12th Man: Steven Finn

England XI for the future right there. What you reckon to that team?

The Sky Sports commentary team seem to be under the impression that he is. He was looked at in the "Eye on England" feature last summer anyway. So I presume so.

Back