Body Pivot - How?

bosie

[More background to the LegSpin Horror Epic. Similar disclaimers as to lack of coaching yadayada.]

If you've read Body Pivot - Why? and are convinced (or intrigued), have a look at my bit of badly remembered 1st year university physics in the post 'rotary motion'.

Now imagine viewing a bowler in the delivery stride from above. We want him or her to pivot, for reasons outlined elsewhere. Now clearly we can achieve this if the bowler pushes with extra force with the back foot/right hand side of the body, to make that part 'move ahead', on top of the overall linear momentum from the run up.

However, we can also achieve the same rotary sense by pushing *back* with the front foot and left hand side of the body, since you are already moving forward as you run in. Try running in hard chest on without a ball and just jumping and trying to stop with your left foot; literally slam on the brakes. You will find, as your right hand side keeps going and your left foot tries to stop, that you naturally swing round.

I think that this is one reason for bowling over a 'braced front foot' as it is often described - although you also want to be tall, the very act of trying to get tall and spending time on the front foot will cause you to pivot.

Now, the more momentum from your run up, the more easily you can rotate just by bracing over the front foot. The slower you run in, the more your back foot has to do to create drive to get you round.

[More background to the LegSpin Horror Epic. Similar disclaimers as to lack of coaching yadayada.]

If you've read Body Pivot - Why? and are convinced (or intrigued), have a look at my bit of badly remembered 1st year university physics in the post 'rotary motion'.

Now imagine viewing a bowler in the delivery stride from above. We want him or her to pivot, for reasons outlined elsewhere. Now clearly we can achieve this if the bowler pushes with extra force with the back foot/right hand side of the body, to make that part 'move ahead', on top of the overall linear momentum from the run up.

However, we can also achieve the same rotary sense by pushing *back* with the front foot and left hand side of the body, since you are already moving forward as you run in. Try running in hard chest on without a ball and just jumping and trying to stop with your left foot; literally slam on the brakes. You will find, as your right hand side keeps going and your left foot tries to stop, that you naturally swing round.

I think that this is one reason for bowling over a 'braced front foot' as it is often described - although you also want to be tall, the very act of trying to get tall and spending time on the front foot will cause you to pivot.

Now, the more momentum from your run up, the more easily you can rotate just by bracing over the front foot. The slower you run in, the more your back foot has to do to create drive to get you round.

I can film the bowling action from above, I'll put it on my list of video's to do and if the weather holds out I may try and do it on Sunday evening. What about the pivot foot - do twist yours as you rise up on it to get tall in the action? I've been recommended to try it and incorporate it into my bowling action, but have noticed that I don't do the twist at the moment, so that's something I need to work on.

A day later and here it is - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8bsppE8dGU

Bosie I'm not sure if your still around but its worth a reply anyway. You raise some interesting points that I have wrestled with in my mind for a while.
I favour something slightly different. I find it very hard, nigh on impossible to really drive with my back leg like Warne does. I can't seem to seperate my right leg and arm. When I really push with my back leg my right arm races though ruining my rhythm (I guess its just coordination, like rubbing your stomach whilst patting your head)
To overcome this I make sure when I land on my back leg I keep good momentum going forward. Then when bracing up the front leg I also make sure it drives me forward, Not pushing back. This helps compensate for the lack of back leg drive.
The other benefit I find in this increased accuracy as I drive more towards the target whereas when using the push back method I tend to fall away and not follow through straight.
The other benefit of the braced front leg is acting as an anchor to pull against as the body pivots. If the leg collapses during the pivot a lot of the pwoer built up through the action is lost.
Its taken me 2 years to find out how much power is lost as Ive only just started to relly brace it up properly lately.

Back