Body Pivot - Why?

bosie

[Hi - this is some of the reasoning behind some of the stuff in my "LegSpin Horror" bout of verbal diarrhoea. Similar disclaimer - I've never been officially coached and not seen much of the stuff I'm writing about discussed
*in so many words* by proper coaches, however I think my theoretical reasoning is in agreement with a lot of what the better ones say, reading between the lines. I have a science/physics/chemistry background, so there's a fighting chance some of the mechanics bit of my homespun biomechanics bit might be right. Was originally going to be and may yet be part of a video diary]

After much experimentation, observation and thought, I've sort of concluded that the bowling run up and action (both fast and spin) is mostly about getting you from side-on to front on (and further round).

Why side on?
Side on gives you straight lines. You bat side on. You play tennis, badminton and squash side on. Most players have bowled side-on, although the West-Indian and similar bowlers were not. It reduces the game to 2D. If you read Ed Smith's account of his time researching the baseball/cricket similarities and differences with the NY Mets, as soon as he explained the rules of cricket to their coaches (who are all hot on biomechanics) they immediately said - oh, you'd want to bat (and stay) side on for consistency in cricket; in baseball you get chest on for power, 'cos one lucky massive hit in 4 goes is better than 4 gentle forward prods.

Why not stay side on?
Because you can't bowl through the top of your head. When I was about 11, our not very cricket savvy school PE teachers gave us all the bowling like a windmill with the arm brushing past your ear. But that's rubbish - if you don't move your body at all, there's a sticking point near the top of the swing, where the shoulder locks up, that is very hard to get past. So a lot of the delivery stride is about starting side on but then getting your body out of the way so that your arm can whip through.

Where does your pace come from?
It doesn't come from your run up. The pace is a combination of my arm speed and body speed, in the same way that my overall speed as I go on one of those moving walkways at an airport is the sum of the speed I am walking with the speed the walkway is moving. Thing is, the fastest a human can bowl is >90mph. The fastest a human can run, if you do the maths on a 100m sprinter, is about 22 mph, and a bowler probably doesn't sprint quite that fast. So > 70% of your speed comes from your arm, and is nothing to do with your body speed. The run up is just to give you momentum to get through the crease and get the body out of the way. The faster the arm speed you need to generate, the faster you need to move your body and so the quicker your run up will probably need to be.

Ahmed, I can't wait to see your video stuff as I'm also looking to update many of my videos as I've moved on from when they were all made and it'll be interesting to see the things that you demo and how you go about it as you come at the subject in a new and fresh way. It's a shame that some of the more technically adept people are lying low at the minute as it would be useful to hear what they have to say about the points that you are raising here in your posts.
[Hi - this is some of the reasoning behind some of the stuff in my "LegSpin Horror" bout of verbal diarrhoea. Similar disclaimer - I've never been officially coached and not seen much of the stuff I'm writing about discussed
*in so many words* by proper coaches, however I think my theoretical reasoning is in agreement with a lot of what the better ones say, reading between the lines. I have a science/physics/chemistry background, so there's a fighting chance some of the mechanics bit of my homespun biomechanics bit might be right. Was originally going to be and may yet be part of a video diary]

After much experimentation, observation and thought, I've sort of concluded that the bowling run up and action (both fast and spin) is mostly about getting you from side-on to front on (and further round).

Why side on?
Side on gives you straight lines. You bat side on. You play tennis, badminton and squash side on. Most players have bowled side-on, although the West-Indian and similar bowlers were not. It reduces the game to 2D. If you read Ed Smith's account of his time researching the baseball/cricket similarities and differences with the NY Mets, as soon as he explained the rules of cricket to their coaches (who are all hot on biomechanics) they immediately said - oh, you'd want to bat (and stay) side on for consistency in cricket; in baseball you get chest on for power, 'cos one lucky massive hit in 4 goes is better than 4 gentle forward prods.

Why not stay side on?
Because you can't bowl through the top of your head. When I was about 11, our not very cricket savvy school PE teachers gave us all the bowling like a windmill with the arm brushing past your ear. But that's rubbish - if you don't move your body at all, there's a sticking point near the top of the swing, where the shoulder locks up, that is very hard to get past. So a lot of the delivery stride is about starting side on but then getting your body out of the way so that your arm can whip through.

Where does your pace come from?
It doesn't come from your run up. The pace is a combination of my arm speed and body speed, in the same way that my overall speed as I go on one of those moving walkways at an airport is the sum of the speed I am walking with the speed the walkway is moving. Thing is, the fastest a human can bowl is >90mph. The fastest a human can run, if you do the maths on a 100m sprinter, is about 22 mph, and a bowler probably doesn't sprint quite that fast. So > 70% of your speed comes from your arm, and is nothing to do with your body speed. The run up is just to give you momentum to get through the crease and get the body out of the way. The faster the arm speed you need to generate, the faster you need to move your body and so the quicker your run up will probably need to be.

Bosie, I have to take issue with your 'Pace' point. From the very start of my bowling exploits I started out with this weird little skip that I used to do instead of a 'Bound' and one of the features of this 'Tich Freeman' skip was that it didn't allow me to come to the crease with any pace, so my absolute top speed which required masses of shoulder and arm effort and I could only produce with a Flipper was around 42 mph. For the last five years people have said that I need to lose the skip and introduce a more dynamic and faster approach to the crease - preferably with a 'bound' and for the last 10 months I've been working with the bound and made a significant break-through back in Feb this year. Since then on and off because of knee ligament issues I've been able to bowl some of the time with the bound and recently (last couple of days) I've been working with the bound and bowling pretty well. But the bound allows me to approach the crease with more pace and energy and by my reckoning and other peoples constant recommendation over the years, it has made a significant increase in the speed of the ball through the air and I reckon now with very little effort I'm bowling consistently in the + 40mph region with very little effort. I reckon it adds another 5mph easily if not more?

Back