Bowling Action

storm

Bowling Action

For some strange reason I only ever do a bowling vid after a long run and a day at the nets I guess that its the only time I can be bothered really, anyway just did this vid and am hoping for some comments on what I need to change,
I have changed my action a bit but I dunno if it shows as I just started bowling my natural action again.
I still have the rotar cuff injury and thats still pisisng me off as my pace is decreased and i have no chance what so ever of playing for hampshire with this crap speed, i dont get back pains are shin splints anymore, mainly i think because i spend alot of time doing core workouts now.
i really need to double my speed to have any chance of making hampshire, but my shoulders showing no signs of recovering, when i exercises it sometimes it does more harm than good which is annoying me greatly any advice would be really appreciated, ohh and ive ordered the ian pont book but its taking ages to arrive .

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r-mNWdAVE8"]YouTube - Cricket32[/ame]

ohh and sorry for the jolting my little sister was messing around with the camera buttons while filming

Re: Bowling Action

Its a bit hard to see with the jolting but it looks
like youve got a nice strong action there.:)
It looks fine to me

Well theres something wrong with it, for some reason now my back cains after bowling fast, ive conmpared to brett lee and mcraths action and so far i picked up that im twisting my body rather than pushing down on the ball. HELP!! lol i need to get this action down before i hurt myself again.

Added 3 hour(s), 26 minute(s) and 5 second(s) later...

umm, well i heard that i could get a stress fracture quite easily and that it would end my career, help me lol i am about to analyse my action to mcgraths and lees to see diffrences i took pictures for a start.

poorback-1.jpg

Added 15 hour(s), 51 minute(s) and 52 second(s) later...

Update: ive decided to remodel my action into brett lees action, i just downloaded some brett lees vids of his action and im gonna try replicate it.

action.jpg

Added 3 hour(s), 3 minute(s) and 31 second(s) later...

Panic again, brett lee is now a front on bolwer aint he? arghhh i dunno what to do anymore.

Added 10 minute(s) and 57 second(s) later...

Okay i just went through my action and it seems like its okay? dosent looked mixed when i looked at it, im going to have to get antoher vid tmoz cause when i bowl as fast as i can things my be changing, atm i dont see why my back is hurting, anyone pick anything up from my action please reply to me quick.

Added 21 hour(s), 39 minute(s) and 46 second(s) later...

Phil luckly noticed that i have a mixed action up to the 3rd pic, i didnt think that that slight little diffrence would cause my back so much pain,

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! Storm, what have you done my darling? :eek:

No worries, dont panic [leave that to me ;)]

OK, forget everything you have done in the last month... rewind!

Take another video, preferably when you are not fatigued, and include the full picture. I need to see the whole body from the finger tips to the toes.

Just remember a few things:

Keep your hands within peripheral vision at full height.
Make sure your right forearm is perpendicular to the ground.
Make sure you are looking to the left of your forearm.

I hate to be an alarmist but if we don't get this back, you'll be in traction :(

Do it soon!

Keep your head still during the action.. your head falls away.. and the left arm is wonky.. chekc this out..

[ame="http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=iEa3xZIkY-g"]YouTube - Tribute to Glen Mcgrath[/ame]

Couldnt get a damn vid done today, played today and got 5 wickets without much pain to my back, gonna do a video either tmoz or soon.

This Really annoys me, i went down and took some vids but i bowled so that it wouldnt give me any injuries at all and therfore no pace, i should have bowled fast so that i can see whats wrong, but still this is my lastest action that i use when bowling medium.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2EBM6pH3uI"]YouTube - Cricket slow bowling[/ame]

Ohh and ill try get one of me bowling quick soon, and the last ball was my spinner i was wondering if i should start bowling spin but i dunno if it suits me.

Well, I like this much better; from the injury point of view, I'm happy :D It also tells me that you 'know' what you should be doing.

I would like to see you use your height more though... think 'tall'!

Look forward to seeing the faster bowling.

As for spin, I see no reason why you should not experiment. If you master it, it will come in extremely handy to take the stress of your back when playing lots of matches in a week. However, I would like to see you happy with your pace first.

ARghhh really annoying, my mum left loads of photos and crap ,so the memory was nearly full, so un aware of this my fastest balls weren't captured i didnt get much footage and i only managed to capture the first part of my bowling, i may get another done tmoz as my bowling wasnt that fast in the footage i got ,which realy annoys me cause i put alot of effort into bowling at the end and it didnt even record lol.
ohh and i need more pace!!!!!!!!! On this vid im only bowling like 60 mph :(:(:(:(:(:(

heres the vid anyway
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6LGx5BNgTU"]YouTube - Cricket medium bowling[/ame]

It was enough to show me a counter rotation; you really do need to concentrate on that non bowling arm. You must bring the whole arm across, not just your wrist and hand.

Your forearm has to be perpendicular to the ground, this brings your elbow [and with it your shoulder] round.

This is really important as you risk stress fractures of the pars interarticularis of the lumbar vertebrae. :(

What Liz is saying, is that your forearm should be at a 90 degree angle with the ground, where right now, it's closer to parallel.

I'm no good at describing this stuff but i'll give it a go... By holding your forearm perpendicular to the ground, you almost force the elbow and shoulder of your non bowling arm to pull through in a straight, and safe, way. If your forearm is not perpendicular (or close to it), it does not allow your elbow, and as such, your shoulder to get into the right position to pull through correctly - you pretty much end up dragging your non-bowling shoulder accross yourself, and then down, meaning from a fast bowling perspective; you're losing a heck of a lot of momentum, and from an injury perspective; you're spine is dealing with a hell of a lot of twisting and turning and momentum being thrown in different directions.

I hope I cleared that up a little?

... And I hope i'm right-ish, Liz?

I think if you were to get the non- bowling arm right, you'd see a hell of a lot of improvement. In shoulder and back health, but also in pace and accuracy. I only saw a little bit of the clip because i'm the last man on Earth still using dial up, but you also seem to be collapsing on that front knee a bit. But as Liz said, think "tall" and you should be able to fix that up a little.

As usual MV, you explain it exceedingly well :D
It is difficult though storm; its obvious when we know what we are trying to say but a lot can be lost in translation! As I said, MV explains it excellently but if you still don't quite understand, please say.

I dunno if you ment this but i gave it a shot, my back still felt weird maybe because of yesturdays bowling i dunno.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqqDxS07neM"]YouTube - Bowling new action[/ame]

This is so much better storm but keep working on it.

There is quite a lot I like about your action but I would still like to see you bowling 'taller'.

Keep experimenting; it will come. Well done.

I do like the look of that action but as has been pointed out, 'think tall'. Also, did you grab your back in one of the shots? If you feel pain you're better off resting than trying to work through it.

Top video footage - what kind of camera are you using and does it have a high-speed mode built in to that you can do the slow motion sequences? Or did you do the slow mo post production?

thanks guys ill be working on it, the camera is my mums camera lol i made it slow mo with windows movie make,

Back