Bowling Against Tailenders...

Sean

Bowling Against Tailenders...

God, is it hard!

We had them 9 down after about 30 overs in a 45 over match, and the last 2 batsmen stayed in until the last ball. We just couldn't get them out, and it was really frustrating. How, as a spinner can you get them out? They either block it, or play and miss.

But our captain was an idiot for not putting the pacemen back on.

PS. 100th post. ;)

Re: Bowling Against Tailenders...

I find tail enders have very little patience. I always tell our young off spinner to toss it up and watch as their eyes light up.

Well these last 2 were very very patient. Obviously they were told they should just stay in for as long as possible.

Bowl on the stumps and make them play the ball. If you give them anything they dont need to hit chances are they wont. Mix up your pace and give them a bit of stick.

For a pace bowler I always tell them bowl it straight and fullish. Most tailenders will have a swing and often miss. The old adage 'you miss, I hit' rings true.

For a spinner, same thing, give it a bit of air, encourage them to attack but keep it on the stumps. Stick a few men deep and watch them go for it and get caught out.

It is a hard thing to do, but to get a stubborn tailender out, you must try and figure why they are batting so low.

Sean said:
Well these last 2 were very very patient. Obviously they were told they should just stay in for as long as possible.

Those are the worst. I have batted at 11 a few times and I'll block out 20 overs if needed. Not out 6 and a draw is a result in my book.

You have to attack the tail, make them play every ball and no easy runs. Put a fielder or two right in their line of sight, really pressurise them.

Bowling wise, fast, full and straight is good, spinners need to be on the dot. If that doesn't work after a few overs, then try to give them something to hit, set traps in the field and see how it goes.

I'd have to echo the others and say at the very least make them play every ball or as close to every ball as you can.

We had fielders all around the bat, the medium pacers couldn't get em out, the spinners couldn't get them out. I tried to flight the ball up, but they either blocked it, or played and missed. The closest I got to getting them out is a top edge into the helmet. Which was halarious at the time.

We had fielders all around the bat. And it doesn't help when a chance comes, it's dropped. ::)

Did you try mixing up your pace? Vary your action a bit aswell, walk in slowly and bowl a quick one then do the same and a slow one. Run in quickly and bowl a slow one or vice versa. Its all about tricking them out as chances are they are bowlers themselves they'll be thinking what your thinking.

Almost_Austwick said:
Do they get points for the draw or not being all out?

Not that I know of, but we were thinking of putting them back in for going outright. And you can't draw the game. It's a 45 over a side match.

I should have asked, what type of game was it? League, school, friendly?

For example, depending on which league you play over here, you can have winning draws or losing draws. Also, some leagues offer bonus points to the losing side if they aren't all out when chasing etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that the outcome of the match (an ultimately what the tail-enders will do) can depend on what's at stake.

Almost_Austwick said:
I should have asked, what type of game was it? League, school, friendly?

For example, depending on which league you play over here, you can have winning draws or losing draws. Also, some leagues offer bonus points to the losing side if they aren't all out when chasing etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that the outcome of the match (an ultimately what the tail-enders will do) can depend on what's at stake.

Leagu game. And no they don't get points for not getting out.
You just get points for winning and extra points for an outright win (Get them out twice while still under the first team's score).

They were bound to lose anyway.

Guess they were just stopping you from getting the points for an outright win.

If they have that mindset then it can be a hell of a job getting them out. Pressure is the only way really.

I suppose you could always trying to bore them out just bowling outside offstump and soon enough they'll have a go at one, then put it bang on offstump for a while. They may be told to stay in but if they keep going past offstump they'll get bored and have a whack and get out.

Interesting stuff, all this. I can relate to some of it and I'm taking note of some of the tactics being advised here. I'm especially liking the advice from Tom.....

"Bowl on the stumps and make them play the ball. If you give them anything they dont need to hit - chances are they wont. Mix up your pace and give them a bit of stick".

The only thing I'd add would be to bring in different deliveries. I like the sounds of the slow walk in but the faster ball - this I personally find really easy with the Flipper and the Slider and both these balls skid in low, so maybe put a few of them in there after a series of Top Spinners and just the fact that the balls going to come in that much faster and then not bounce hardly is going to be unsettling?

Or if your getting your leg break to turn well vary it with top spinners but all of them in-line with the stumps, then chuck in a nice sneaky "Wrong Un" pitched wide of off so he thinks he's gonna hit one for 4 - chances are if you don't get the stumps you're gonna put the ball in his **************** and that'll unsettle him!

Variations mate - that's key!

One that Dave has just reminded of, (with the slow walk, faster ball thing) is that we haven't mentioned one of the most effective methods of dealing with tailenders - the slow full toss!

Get it up there, make sure it's straight and they'll either miss and get bowled or pop into the hands of the bloke at mid off!

Another one I've used before which brings on fits of laughter from my own team is a ridiculous high loopy slow full toss Flipper that if it hits the ground almost stops because of it's trajectory and speed, but because it come at you from such a stupid height and angle unexpectedly and it's going straight for the stumps via the upper body it really catches the batsman off guard. I've forced people to step back on to the stumps or swing at it whilst stepping back and hitting their own stumps! Again it's the element of surprise.

Back