Bowling Against Tailenders...

Re: Bowling Against Tailenders...

someblokecalleddave said:
Another one I've used before which brings on fits of laughter from my own team is a ridiculous high loopy slow full toss Flipper that if it hits the ground almost stops because of it's trajectory and speed, but because it come at you from such a stupid height and angle unexpectedly and it's going straight for the stumps via the upper body it really catches the batsman off guard. I've forced people to step back on to the stumps or swing at it whilst stepping back and hitting their own stumps! Again it's the element of surprise.

I've seen a lot of people get out from that ball, even top notch batsman, as you say, its the the element of surprise.

Also, the 25 yard ball is a good one - go to bowl as normal but bowl from in line with the umpire. Can surprise the batsman or make him go through his shot too quickly!

Congrats on the 100 posts Dave - you're now an under 19!

Not quite having the pace to quite clean up a tail ender, but while being the teams main strike bowler, I always found bowling line and length to tailenders for a while, before chucking in a pitched up slower ball on middle usually did the trick. If they didn't get out trying to create something against the line and length, the ungainly slog at the slower ball almost always did the trick.

The last 3-4 wickets are the key for any team.
Since Tailenders have little patience.Straight to the target is my mantra.
I mix up my deliveries with yorkers,Straighter ones,slow flighted ones.
Variations in pace is very important.
The key is to block them and make them do a mistake and also get lots of dot balls :)

if you get a tail ender that really scraps around their crease, always fire in yorkers, itll get them every time :laugh:

Full and straight is always the order of the day for tailenders, I find just keeping it simple and sticking to the basics gets the tailenders, even tailenders can put away a bad ball so I try and just bowl my areas and concentrate on nothing else.

Full and straight balls only work for impatient tail enders but some are very determined to play long and you have to use some tricks against them. In the india pakistan series mohammad sami always frustrated india and but he got out to laxman and ganguly.

Back