Bowling Tips

Norm the whale

Bowling Tips

Why don't we have a thread purely for those short and sweet bowling tips? Would be a one stop shop sort of thing? If it works could someone sticky it?

I'll start off with this one:

When bowling (pace) look at the bottom of the stump as your target. If you're bowling too short, move your target up the stump, if too full, move it down and away from the stump.

Over to the next person now! :thumbup1:

Re: Bowling Tips

To bowl a good yorker, drag your non bowling arm through which in turn brings your chest through and sends the ball on a flatter, fuller path.

Bouncer - Really throw yourself at the delivery, almost as though you want to bury your shoulders into the ground.

Don't make your run-up longer than it needs to be - just long enough to get a good rhythm but short enough so that you accelerate through the crease every time, even on a long day.

For pace bowlers; when the ball isn't swinging or seaming, hold the ball cross seam. If it hits the rough side, it'll die; if it hits the shiny side, it'll skid and if it hits the seam, it'll jump. This can also be used as a bouncer grip.

If, as a right handed side on bowler, you feel natural to bowl down the off side and your trademark delivery is the inswinger, you have likely not turned side on enough with the top half of your body.

for pace bowlers... one thing a coached picked up on my bowling...

if your bowling is straying down leg or wherever, get someone to watch the way your front foot plants.. often an angled foot will lead to a ball that strays... aim to get your front foot landing straight on...

this doesnt always apply.. but it fixed my bowling up...

When deciding whether to be front on or side on, note that it is far harder to change your backfoot position than your upper body position.
- Backfoot pointing sideways = Side on
- Backfoot pointing forwards = Front on

Whatever type of (quick) bowler you are your hips should be sqaure on to the batsman at release (for accuracy and pace). A good indicator of this are whether your knees are together at point of release.

It doesn't really matter what type it is, but developing a good slower ball really adds something to your bowling. Even something simple like an off cutter adds a new dimension.

I was watching the India v Australia game yesterday, and Ian Chappell was reminising about a conversation he had with Andy Roberts (The great WI fast bowler) who asked 'why do bowlers concentrate on bowling slower balls nowadays, as back then, the quicker ball (Or the ball that the bowler puts a lot more effort into to stun the batsman) was a lethal weapon'.

I thought this tip was pure magic and often overlooked (especially be me :()

I see where Roberts is coming from. However, these days, with all the sports science and technology, the good batsmen can dispatch the fastest balls with the greatest aplomb and of course, if hit right, these are the balls that are sent to the next county. Once a batsman gets in to the groove and is in his comfort zone with these balls, the bowler is lost. A good slower ball can easily get an arrogant batter out at best or, at worse, keeps the batsman on his toes.

The problem is, the slower ball is used too much. Some cricketers and many coaches spend far too much time on the 'technical' and not enough on the 'tactical' :)

Liz Ward;271182 said:
Some cricketers and many coaches spend far too much time on the 'technical' and not enough on the 'tactical' :)

I like that - good way of putting it.

I reckon coaches focus on the technical because most of the tactical comes from experience - they supply the tools and it's up to the cricketer to learn how to use them effectively.

edladd;271236 said:
I reckon coaches focus on the technical because most of the tactical comes from experience - they supply the tools and it's up to the cricketer to learn how to use them effectively.

Yes, you're right but this should not be the case. You would not give a soldier a gun, show him how to pull the trigger and tell him to get on with it [I know that's extreme :)]

The problem is, not everybody gets it. By saying "...tactical comes from experience" means "You learn by making mistakes".

As coaches, we should be giving players the tools AND telling them how and when to use them. Mistakes will still be made but hopefully less frequently.

Tactical qualities can be as easily trained as the technical, psychological and physiological ones.

Liz Ward;271182 said:
The problem is, the slower ball is used too much. Some cricketers and many coaches spend far too much time on the 'technical' and not enough on the 'tactical' :)

Great way of putting it.

In some respects, at the elite level you should expect that a player has most of the skills needed to perform but maybe not the knowledge of when to apply them, which is where the coach comes in.

Slower deliveries are a good tool for bowlers to surprise the batsmen.
Using it is the key.
Generally it is use during the slog overs when batsmen is wildly swinging.
Many bowlers were very effective in that like-Steve waugh(in early days),Ian Harvey,Venkatesh Prasad,Jeremy Snape.
Being a spinner; I have also used it to perfection and it really helps.
Using this special tool at the right moment is the key to success.

Back