Bowling Video - New General Muscle Soreness

Jonesy

Bowling Video - New General Muscle Soreness

Hey guys, I've been meaning to post a video up for a while but yeh only just got around to it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIRoo0Hnr1Q"]YouTube - ajsdfllajfjsd2466[/ame]

There it is. Take note that I'm in thongs and bad shorts for cricket and I didn't measure my run-up because of the trampoline in the background.

Any advice is welcome.

Re: Bowling Video

Nothing majorly wrong, tbh. Probably pump your arms more in the run up and have more power in your legs in the run up. You close off your front foot a tad from the action, which probably costs you post and means that you are an outswing bowler(?).

I'm no expert but it looks good to me. As manee said, maybe pump the arms more in the run up; I find it helps if you concentrate on the elbows rather than the arms when doing this.

Yeah, definately pump you arms. Also I see you have a little jump, to create more bounce and, sometimes, speed try a bigger bound. So a bigger jump. Nice though :)

As for your upper body Jonesy, you just need to relax.

There is something wrong with your feet but I really do not want to comment because I am not sure if it is due to your footwear. Is there any way you can take another video, this time wearing trainers or cricket shoes. If I am right, a little change can increase your pace quite a bit ;)

Agree with Liz, upper body needs to relax more you're holding back due to the footwear. I have a feeling that with proper trainers/cricket shoes you'll have a slightly higher jump and more drive with the lower body.

If you can post that then as Liz said a few pointers and you should be able to find some extra pace.

Ok, sure thing, I'll try to do it soon but I'm not sure when. My feet used to naturally really open up when batting, like I'd step out to play a drive and instead of the foot pointing at the ball my foot would point straight and it looked very unco, so that might be it?

By the way, I'm not that slow of a bowler! :laugh: Second quickest in my team this season!

OK Jonesy, I shall try to explain without another video.

Your front foot crosses in front of your back foot; this not only delays your back foot from coming through but reduces the amount of drive you can utilise and necessitates the 'kink' and high lift of the back foot. In effect, you are using your energies to rotate to your right and then to your left. For more power, everything has to be coming forward in a straight line and I would like to see your back foot coming through close to the ground.

The outswing is created by your upper body not your feet.

NB I shall refrain from commenting about being the second fastest in a team of slow bowlers :p

I went to the nets yesterday (and might go again today in a few minutes, although it's so cold out there!) and I tried to do what you said, although I didn't understand it fully, but I think I did a bit better.

I'm bowling down the leg side too much, and I know it's to do with the angle of my run up. Once I get the angle right everything should be fine. I bowled a couple of magnificent balls. On middle and off with a bit of out swing taking just outside off. Woot.

Sounds really good Jonesy. :D

Don't get impatient with yourself though, it usually takes a while to correct this kind of biomechanical malfunction; you have to train your CNS. When you feel better with it, post another video.

When I'm just at the beginning of my follow-through, it feels that my right leg is going round, not just straight through, like it is going right and then left, is that part of the problem?

Are my feet going in front of each other in my whole run up or just the delivery stride or where?

Thanks.

Jonesy said:
When I'm just at the beginning of my follow-through, it feels that my right leg is going round, not just straight through, like it is going right and then left, is that part of the problem?

Yes, that is the problem Jonesy.

Jonesy said:
Are my feet going in front of each other in my whole run up or just the delivery stride or where?

OK through to back foot impact. Your front foot then plants in front of [across] your back foot. This is why your back foot has to swing round.

Think about how you walk; if you constantly plant the front foot across the back foot, you will be zig zagging. This applies to bowling; your front foot, in your case your left foot, must stay parallel and plant left of your back foot, allowing the back foot to come through in a straight line... just like walking ;)

Don't worry about run up angle; you must run up in a straight line. Any angle adjustment should be done by the upper body, not the feet.

Liz Ward said:
Yes, that is the problem Jonesy.

OK through to back foot impact. Your front foot then plants in front of [across] your back foot. This is why your back foot has to swing round.

Think about how you walk; if you constantly plant the front foot across the back foot, you will be zig zagging. This applies to bowling; your front foot, in your case your left foot, must stay parallel and plant left of your back foot, allowing the back foot to come through in a straight line... just like walking ;)

Don't worry about run up angle; you must run up in a straight line. Any angle adjustment should be done by the upper body, not the feet.

Yeh I know, at the moment I'm running up on an angle and I need to correct that.

shaazthegreat said:
But Liz, would you be totally in line with the target if you do that?

Wherever you end up, you will be directly in line with the target.

When I was a wee young thing, I used to shoot at moving targets, archery/pistols... to provide a solid base, the feet never moved. All adjustments were made by the upper body. Fortunately, the stumps tend to stand still, you just need to find the right upper body movement. If you struggle, some one2one sessions will sort you out.

Liz, I feel I am too aware of the bowling crease. I watch it a bit as I run in and as a result I never got no-balled the whole season, but I feel it might be tying me down. Advice?

It is all very understandable Jonesy. You need to start to 'trust' your body.

Rhythm is so important and when you have it, rely on it.

Get somebody to watch your feet as you bowl. Bowl normally, paying no attention to the crease and ask them to let you know whenever there is a foot fault. You may be surprised!

Back