Bowling workouts(gym)

Bowling workouts(gym)

i wanted to know some exercises or parts of body to work on to increase my speed and accuracy. i can bowl pretty fast right now but still want to increase. so any exercises including weight.
thanks

Re: Bowling workouts(gym)

try cross bench dumbell pullovers: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/DBPullover.html

When you can use a 40 kg dumbell for reps your doing well.

Also we have a new coach at our club who has interned at various counties in a sports science role. He says county fast bowlers really emphasise training the legs and core (all year round) but really cut down down on the upper body work more and more as the season starts. He really rates weighted lunges for fast bowlers. Also i have a friend who joined the loughbourgh team- and they really emphasise lat exercises- particularly dumbell rows and chins.

Legs and core work are great advice for any cricketer. As are chin ups.

So is injury prevention stuff like YTLW's.

Get yourself on to the Fitness and Nutrition Forum, there you will find no end of advice and a lot more links via Harrowdrive to endless resources.

well im 16
i play club cricket almost every sunday
right now winter league ended and my basketball season
but thanks i will work on whole body but start working out legs etc also

well what i have been doing is chest and triceps one day then shoulder and biceps... now i will probably add back workout with chest and legs etc with shoulder workout...what do u think?

This is my opinion:

Firstly instead of doing chest and triceps followed by shoulder and biceps then legs try doing 2 strength training sessions a week. Bodypart spilts arent great when training for a sport- firstly you will overtrain your shoulders which would lead to injury (then you would be *****ed!) second you will save time and third you should think about training your body as a whole unit rather than individual bodyparts.

Secondly try and structure a routine around your bowling action: e.g

run up, jump and delivery stride-( legs) hip rotation - (abs and obliques) front arm- (lats and abs) bowling arm- (chest, shoulder ) ect

then find specific exercises to help your bowling movements: e.g

crease landing: calf raises

delivery stride: lunges

hip rotation: cable twists

back bend: standing cable crunches

front arm- chin ups

delivery- pullovers.

Focus on form and try and increase the weight when u can. say when u started u could only do 3 chin ups but now u can do 10- hopefully your quicker as a result- because your training the actual movement.

Keep the volume low because bowling will take a lot out of you so try 3 sets of 6 with a couple on mins between sets.

Add planks - (front and side) at the end of your workout- hold for time- try to better your time every workout- aim for 2mins.

ok i dont know if i understand you...
when you say "secondly try and structure a routine around your bowling action"- do u mean just like practice running up and bowling to work on that?
along with all the other exercises u told calf raises etc... should i do them all one day? and other days work on other parts for examlpe i need to bench/shoulder press...biceps etc...

Full body workouts tend to be better for cricket but need careful planning.

How often do you go to the gym per week?
How often do you do conditioning work (running, sprinting etc)?
How often do you do other activity (sport etc)?
How many weeks until the end of the cricket season?
Do you have anyone who can teach you correct technique in the gym?

"secondly try and structure a routine around your bowling action"- im refering to weights there-your weight training movements will best mimic your bowling movements- so that routine will be very specific.

train those specific movements in one day.

you can use a second day to do a more general routine with excersises of your choice e.g curls.

What does your week look like with regard to cricket? how much time do u have? how many times do u bowl (properly with full run up?

e.g fill the following:

Mon......
tues......
wed......
thur......
fri......
sat......
sun......

well the number of days in the gym depends on school...whenever i can i try to go...
so i guess i will do cricket workout one day and then basic stuff the other days.i had another question...if i do the lower body which includes calf raises , squats, cable twist,pull overs etc...does that help the back also or should i do more for back and if so should i do it the same day...
thanks alot this is really great to get help like this:D

fastbowler said:
...if i do thelower body which includes calf raises, squats, cable twist, pull overs etc...does that help the back also or should i do more for back and if so should i do it the same day...

Are we talking just strengthening the back or rehabilitation?

When you say 'back', do you mean spine/lower back or everything, including shoulder girdle?

by back yea i meant spine/lower.

yea i kind of have a workout tell me what you guys think...remember this is for getting bigger stronger and help with cricket also:

mon- chest and triceps- bench press,inlcine press, flyers , dumbell press , triceps exersice
tues- shoulders and biceps- cable curls, shoulder press, barbell curls , dumbell curls, miltary press, flyers
Wed- lower body- calf raises, lunges, squats...anything else???????
repeat-mon,tues,wed.
sunday- match day
what do yall think?

I shall leave your programme to David but as far as the lower back is concerned, good hamstring and thoracic (upper back) flexibility are extremely important for taking a lot of the stress off the lumbar spine.

As for strength, I always recommend the side raise/plank It requires significant levels of co-contraction of most of the trunk muscles and is a very useful exercise for anybody requiring advanced core strength in the standing or running posture.

Research using electromyography has shown that during this exercise, the obliques work very hard to raise the trunk laterally whilst the lower back and abs are working significantly to assist.

Other research has suggested that the side raise is effective for recruiting the qadratus lumborum muscle (a core muscle supporting the spine). The latissimus dorsi muscle helps to stabilise the arm whilst the gluteals stabilise the pelvis.

fastbowler said:
by back yea i meant spine/lower.

yea i kind of have a workout tell me what you guys think...remember this is for getting bigger stronger and help with cricket also:

mon- chest and triceps- bench press,inlcine press, flyers , dumbell press , triceps exersice
tues- shoulders and biceps- cable curls, shoulder press, barbell curls , dumbell curls, miltary press, flyers
Wed- lower body- calf raises, lunges, squats...anything else???????
repeat-mon,tues,wed.
sunday- match day
what do yall think?

A couple of things spring to mind.

1. I would have a days rest. Mon-Wed-Fri is better. Mon-Wed-Thur is OK too.
2. you have 5 pressing exercises, 3 for the chest alone and no pulling exercises. Take out at least 2 chest exercises and replace them with rows or chin ups.
3. There is no need for 'isolation' exercises like curls and flyes. Concentrate on strengthening movements not muscles. Add in some hamstring work (not curls though), chin ups
4. The exception to the above is core stability. Make sure you do stabilisation work 2-3 times a week too.
5. Do some leg work every day. Day 1 squats, Day 2 split squats, day 3 single leg squats. Something like that.

So every day will have:

pressing exercise (bench press, overhead press)
pulling exercise (rows, chin ups)
knee dominant leg exercise (squat etc)
hip dominant leg exercise (hamstring work)
core stability

A power exercise like cleans, snatches, jump squats with soft landing or high pulls would also be good if you can get someone to teach you proper technique.

If you are going to bench i recommend you use dumbells only. Barbell bench is not the best exercise for a fast bowler as you are too "locked in" where as dumbells allow a lot more freedom and importantly allow you to turn your hands which will take stress of the shoulders and wrists.

Back