Can't hit line or length?

Auzayr

Can't hit line or length?

I struggle when bowling in a match, I spray the ball all over the place. When I put down cones in practice I manage to hit them quite easily, however, when there are no cones and I have to just bowl I cannot bowl tight on a good line and length. Could you please tell me how to bowl accuratley and tight in a match?

Re: Can't hit line or length?

When you are bowling at the cones, do you focus on the cone during the run-up? This could obviosly lead to problems, as in a match situation - there is no cone to focus on. Maybe try bowling without the physical target and see if you can focus on a spot on the pitch and hit it - then this could transfer to a game situation more easily?

Possibly also you are being put off your line and length by the presence of the batsman. You have to be able to adjust where you bowl depending on the game situation and the particular batsman - it takes a bit of experience to figure out where to bowl to each person - but if you are able to adjust your line and length and still remain accurate ... you should do OK.

The standard advice is to aim for the base of off stump. You can then use this as a guide, move the focus point up if bowling too short or away from the stump if too full. Also, you can change the focus to middle stump (etc) if the line is wrong.

To be honest, the key thing is line as bounce will change from match to match, pitch to pitch.

When you are spraying the ball I find it is generally because your left arm (pointer) is all over the place.

This part is fairly simple. Just focus your eyes on the length you want to bowl.. then use your non-bowling arm to point purposefully at the line you want.

The arm should then just come over and at least go near the direction you want. Otherwise you aren't repeating your action and need some coaching to sort that out.. so look for length and point for line..

this is funny, i cant bowl line or length when theres no batsman, when theres a batsmen i bowl really accurately lol, im a leg spinner btw. I just focus with the ball beating the bat, thats a bowlers aim. The line/length will come when u think about beating the bat.

Ripping-LegBreak;28400 said:
this is funny, i cant bowl line or length when theres no batsman, when theres a batsmen i bowl really accurately lol, im a leg spinner btw. I just focus with the ball beating the bat, thats a bowlers aim. The line/length will come when u think about beating the bat.

I tend to find it's the other way round - think about line and length and you'll beat the bat...I guess it's different for different people.

you see its more length than line that I have a problem with. I can not bowl a 'good length' consistently, its either too full or too short. plz help

See where you bowl the first ball and adjust (if it's too full, bowl it shorter) from there. I would say adjusting line and length was one of the main skills invloved in bowling.

Back