City of Moorabbin Cricket Association 2010/11

Btw - not bad punting from you, Clock. 7 of the 9 winners all got a mention in your tips for the Caulfield Races. I'd imagine a fruitful day for yourself....?

Army,
Good first up win for the Wanderers against a pretty reasonable Uniting team.Must have been an entertaining day's cricket with 421 runs being scored.Is Dolby going to be available all season?

Hi Clock,
Yeah wasnt a great day for the bowlers (myself included)!!! To be honest i was pretty happy after the boys posted 211, to Uniting's credited they batted well and gave themselves a big chance to win and i think they will be there abouts in Quiney this year!!! Like most close games it wasnt without controversy with the umpire calling over in the 37th over of the Uniting innings even though it only consisted of 5 legal deliveries, to which they were quite rightfully upset!
Yeah Dolbs is strapped in for the year mate, it took some convincing as he lives in Geelong but never the less he is with us for the year and also brought with him another young prospect that we are excited about!

Good luck to all in round 2 or is it 3?? I dont know doesnt take much to confuse me!!!!

What an interesting first round.
The Gold class pulled a couple of surprise selections which raised eyebrows within the competition.A last minute call up for a young up and coming bowler who played in their Under 16 premiership team and who was supposedly at St.Kilda for the season.This was meant to be a walk in the park game just to dust off the cob webs. Someone forgot to tell Leroy and his cubs and they promptly gave the annointed ones a scare of sorts. The golfers young attack stuck to the task and bowled a tight line and length, and if Ash Russell had not stepped up to the plate, it could have been a very different result. The Uniting seconds also lost a close one whilst the veteran Surridge broke down with a foot injury which looks like it could keep him out for a few matches. It will be an interesting selection meeting on Tuesday night. Mr Ernst may become our resident expert on the Woolnough Grade for the next match.Who knows?
The Juggernaut did enough to get over the line against the Royals thanks to Luke Manders 80 odd.He was dropped before he had scored and as good batsmen will do, he punished the Royals.In response the Royals were 3/5 and the game was effectively over.Young SOC (Son of Cedric) batted very well and showed a fair bit of maturity.If the Royals can get their top order going then they will make some decent scores as they bat deep. The juggernaut still have a fair bit of work to do especially in the field as their performance was poor by their lofty standards.
I tipped this a danger game for the Oasis and it proved to be the case. Early on the Oasis looked like they would continue their hoodoo over the Redbacks.Kinsella & Park were dominant early, but with enforced bowling changes things changed, and the Spiders new look batting line up seems to have a little spine about it. Young Collison looked impressive and Pereira...well he always give bowlers a good look, but if he gets away from you can make a few. He did so on he weekend and with their import batting very nicely, the spiders may finally have solved some of their batting woes that has plagued them for the past few seasons.Now they need their experienced players to get their heads down and contribute rather than stroll out there like the world revolves around them.One in particular should have had a wake up call when he shopped himself around pre season, and discovered to his horror that there was little or no interest in his services.
The Hoops had a day they would prefer to forget and just fell short against the Beach boys in what appears to have been an interesting match.The Hoops will understand that this was a crucial loss as the Beach Boys will be one of the teams snapping at their heels as they try and secure a finals position.The skipper did well as did the new golden Greek recruit Ano, but probably 20 runs short. Interestingly last seasons coach was lurking in the seconds playing in the extraordinary low scoring match where the Hoops were unable to reach 62? Batting at 5 you almost would have almost put your house on the result, but the Party boys show that they can mix it with the best of them. The party would have gone on long into the night.
The Sky Blues had a tough initiation for the season opener against a tougher no nonsense Le Page unit.The Sky Blues did well too restrict the Panthers to 122. Despite not using the injured Greer they managed to cut through the Centrals attack to dismiss them for a paltry 106 and register an encouraging first up win.Of concern for the Centrals would be their seconds who were brought back to earth after their premiership win in D Grade and were dismissed for 67 in Quiney Shield.
Reports circulating from the dog track was that the cowboys were being sent off to the morgue for a serious post mortem. Lo and behold they pulled out their Lazarus pill and arose from the dead yet again to defeat a very disappointing Omega.Unfortunately Omega's middle order crumbled again opening the door for an unlikely win for the Cowboys. The allegedly retired Danny Frew made another comeback although not troubling the scorers but no doubt his experience and reassuring words probably calmed down the younger cowboys.

Hugh Nicholson very stiff not to start in the ones for carnegie but surely after a solid 79 runs he will be a definite starter for the redbacks? Heard talk of ANA approaching Nicholson at start of season offering him apprentiship to play. ANA surely heartbroken at not picking up the young gun? Thoughts?

Two bobs worth from me, Hugh is definitely a talent but like many of the Spiders fairly talented young bats needs to do better than make good 12's & 15's in Shield grade. I think the selectors would have been very happy with the way their squad performed in the ones so possibly no unforced changes but he should make an important contribution soon.

Hi Clock,
Yeah wasnt a great day for the bowlers (myself included)!!! To be honest i was pretty happy after the boys posted 211, to Uniting's credited they batted well and gave themselves a big chance to win and i think they will be there abouts in Quiney this year!!! Like most close games it wasnt without controversy with the umpire calling over in the 37th over of the Uniting innings even though it only consisted of 5 legal deliveries, to which they were quite rightfully upset!
Yeah Dolbs is strapped in for the year mate, it took some convincing as he lives in Geelong but never the less he is with us for the year and also brought with him another young prospect that we are excited about!

Good luck to all in round 2 or is it 3?? I dont know doesnt take much to confuse me!!!!

Well Geelong is just another suburb nowadays.Looks all good.

Hugh Nicholson very stiff not to start in the ones for carnegie but surely after a solid 79 runs he will be a definite starter for the redbacks? Heard talk of ANA approaching Nicholson at start of season offering him apprentiship to play. ANA surely heartbroken at not picking up the young gun? Thoughts?

I doubt that anyone would be regarded as a guaranteed starter in the Ones at any club. Competition will be fierce for a spot in the Redback's Ones (as it should be), especially after such a positive start.

Though their form in the One Day format is fairly good, their big test will be centred on their batting depth in the Two Day format.

The Brady Billionaires and the Beach Boys look very solid early on.

Afternoon All,

Good to see all the newbies with a bit of imagination with their non de plumes all makes for an interesting season as Merl gazes down on the pack for the short time he is up on top of the heap.
With no certainty which no doubt Clocker or Adam can correct I give you the Rd 2 two dayer draw as extracted from Hiliary's page on the sometimnes updated but still fixtureless two blue website.

Longy

East Sandy v Elwood
Carngie Sth v Omega
Le Page Park v Mackie
West Bentleigh v Hampton Central
Bri Union v Bent Utg
Kingston Heath v Bent ANA

Wooly

Wash Park V Cluden
Bent Utg v Bri Union
Bent ANA v Chelsea Hts
Asp RSL v East Sandy
Omega v Highett West
Moo West v Hamp Utd

Good luck to all and more importantly good tipping.

PDog is that you or one of the other Jammos in the umpire's unavailable list?

Fiscal one I see you have managed to fit the young gun into the TPP which the woman on the tram advises was a Brady rd like contract to entice the young gun back to tin can alley.May need healthy bar sales to meet the TPP but with a few retirement there is probably a bit of room to move in the TPP.

until next time...keep searching....... vino sipping poster........ Prof Merlot

Back in Melbourne now after big couple of days...took a lot of hard work!
Actually Merlot was going through the results today and pretty sure i tipped 7 last week- can u double check for me?
These were my tips from last week (in bold were the winners)
Longmuir:
Le Page
Bent Uniting
E.S.B.C.
Brighton Union
Omega
Mackie

Woolnough:
Bent ANA
Moorabbin West
Washington Park
Omega
Asp/Edi RSL
Bent Uniting

My Round 2 tips for this week:

Longmuir:
E.S.B.C.
Omega
Mackie
West Bentleigh
Bentleigh Uniting
Bentleigh ANA

Woolnough:
Washington Park
Bentleigh Uniting
Chelsea Heights
E.S.B.C.
Omega
Moorabbin West

Prof Merlot, if you would allow a tardy entry to the tipping comp, I'd be most obliged.

Round Two Tips

Longy
East Sandy v Elwood Could be an interesting tussle, but the Juggernaut's will keep
building their momentum here.
Carngie Sth v Omega Big test for the spiders depth here. This game will answer a
few questions.
Le Page Park v Mackie The Machine will hit back hard with purpose. Can't see the
big man failing 3 times in two games.
West Bentleigh v Hampton Central Hampton Central's L plates will stand out here.
Bri Union v Bent Utg The Brady Rd Billionaires need to prove that their team is
worth more than the virtual page it's posted on with a strong statement in this game.
Kingston Heath v Bent ANA The changing of guard at the Royal Palace will need to
salute early, but I think the Golfers grenades will prove too powerful.

Wooly
Wash Park V Cluden Huge test for the Sharks here, but Cluden will get up.
Bent Utg v Bri Union The billionaires depth will be strong all season and will prove that here.
Bent ANA v Chelsea Hts The Royals will salute on their new palatial grounds.
Asp RSL v East Sandy The juggernaut should improve from last year and start their march here.
Omega v Highett West Ommies will be too strong.
Moo West v Hamp Utd Moo West in a cake walk.

Tips round 2
Longy

East Sandy
Omega
Mackie
West Bentleigh
Bent Utg
Kingston Heath

Wooly

Cluden
Bent Utg
Chelsea Hts
Asp RSL
Omega
Moo West

LONGMUIR SHIELD

Juggernaut-v-Elwood: Juggernaut will have to improve in the field, but they have too many big guns for the Beach Boys

Carnegie South-v-Omega: The last time these teams met the Spiders had Omega in a vulnerable position but dropped a number of crucial catches and let the Ommies off the hook.This game is too important for Omega and their finals aspirations and will win.

Le Page Park-v- Mackie: The Panthers have a real chance to put a huge dent in the finals aspirations of the Oasis.The Oasis were very disappointing last match and a few of their veterans started to show their age.Will tip the home team in this one.

West Bentleigh-v-Hampton: Central:Lazarus arose from the dead once. The Cowboys seem to do it a number of times each year. They have a habit of dropping games they are expected to win, but I will tip them in this encounter.

Hoops-v-Bentleigh Uniting:Game of the round, with some very good players on show from both sides.If all concerned can find some form then it could be quite a high scoring match. The loss of Surridge will be a loss but they have the stocks to cover his loss. Have to select Uniting.

Kingston Heath-v-ANA:The last encounter resulted in the Royals losing two players to suspension, but they won the game quite convincingly.All the pundits were predicting a slaughter at Centenary Park, but that did not eventuate and in fact the young ones acquited themselves very well. The Royals batting depth should get them over the line.

WOOLNOUGH

Wash Ups V Cluden
Bent Utg v Bri Union
Bent ANA v Chelsea Hts
Asp RSL v East Sandy
Omega v Highett West
Moorabbin West v Hamp Utd

Btw - not bad punting from you, Clock. 7 of the 9 winners all got a mention in your tips for the Caulfield Races. I'd imagine a fruitful day for yourself....?

Cheers Mick. Paid a few electricity,gas and water bills.Let's see how we go next Saturday.

I doubt that anyone would be regarded as a guaranteed starter in the Ones at any club. Competition will be fierce for a spot in the Redback's Ones (as it should be), especially after such a positive start.

Though their form in the One Day format is fairly good, their big test will be centred on their batting depth in the Two Day format.

The Brady Billionaires and the Beach Boys look very solid early on.

Well said Parker, but with redbacks selecting young talent Josh Fisher to start in the ones, surely after a woeful display of just 10 runs, Nicholson would be a fair chance for a call up. Bit of rivalry between the two but i could imagine the club will pick on form and experience and not worry to much about dissapointing the kids. I do agree that it was a very positive start but the spiders do have a tough decision to make coming up against an Omega side who will be keen to bounce back as they proved they are capable of doing so last year after a slow start.

Easy Shane, you're a tad harsh on young Josh. Surely 'woeful display' is personal criticism over the top for just one innings! The bottom line is Nicholson and Fisher are both talented enough to make their mark in Longy this year and will no doubt be given the opportunities to do so. I also believe Nicholson wasn't the only guy to collect a few runs in the magoos.

I agree that selection will be tough down at the web, but that's a good problem to have.

The spiders have everything to prove this season after too many years scrambling against relegation. The honeymoon was over a long time ago and this match against the Ommies on the rebound will answer a few questions about their batting depth and mental fortitude.

Gentlemen, aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves? Yes it was a good win on the weekend against a team that has absolutely humiliated the Spiders over the past 4 seasons, but lets not forget you have won 4 games in two seasons with two of them being one dayers. Playing 38 overs with bowling restrictions is one thing; facing experienced bowlers who will bowl a good line and length for 72 overs is another. Nicholson and Fisher are talented young players but you obviously pushed the chicken switch on the weekend when you demoted Snapey for Handley who promptly failed. I was actually waiting for the music to start when he entered the playing arena. (I will leave the choice to Jimmy as he is the resident music expert.) Last season Handley made 172 runs with an average of 17.2 and highest score of 57. In 2008-2009 he fared slightly better with 189 runs @ 23.2 with a top score of 57. Young Snape had 7 innings in Longmuir for 161 runs with an average of 32.2 and top score of 51. He also played 4 in Quiney Shield for an average of 35.2 and a top score of 62. I know who I would be promoting in the batting line up, but obviously I have a different view to the brains trust at the Spiders. In fact I would suggest that unless Handley gets a move along he may find himself in the seconds and perhaps you can include the very promising Nicholson in the 1sts. I just don't believe the selection committee has the courage to undertake such a move, but if you wanted to make a statement, then that would be it. 

Clocker, the point I was trying to make was that the spiders have achieved nothing during their seasons in Longy apart from avoiding relegation and, as you mentioned, this was based largely on their wins in the one day format. I don't think the spiders batted out 72 overs in a game at all last season, so this game will be their first big test to see if any of the younger brigade have learnt from their experiences and if their english import will hold the batting together. Hence they need to answer the questions hanging over them about their lack of batting depth.

As for Handly, I believe it was his bowling spell with Gallagher that turned the game against the machine last week and went a long way towards the win, but you're spot on about his batting.

Back