Club Training In The Winter

bitsandpieces

Club Training In The Winter

Hi,

I help run training sessions for my university cricket club, but until we start our winter net sessions all we have to work with is a sports hall and some bats/tennis balls once a week.

Can anybody recommend some good batting drills that are doable in this environment? The only batting drills I really know are front foot defense/drive using just top hand, and placing a ball 3 paces down the pitch to get the 3-strided charge more fluent and to the pitch of the ball. Anything else would be greatly appreciated! :D

I really want to give the club members something that helps them improve their game and keeps them interested so they feel it's worth turning up at 10am on a cold sunday morning.

Thanks!

Re: Club Training In The Winter

maybe you should run some indoor cricket?

good for skills and fun, somebody on here should be able to tell you more about it

Thanks mate, good idea.

We've actually been playing indoor cricket in the sports hall for the last month, hence the request for ideas for extra drills! If there are some good variations/versions of indoor cricket that people can recommend I'd certainly be happy to hear from you! (we usually play 1 run for the side walls, 2 for the back, 4 over the top on the far front wall (facing batsman) and 6 if you hit the wall along the ground, as it's harder to do with fielders in a sports hall, and encourages people to drive through the 'V'.

The training sessions I mentioned are really for new cricketers to the club and the 3rds squad, so any batting drills that aid their basic technique, forward defense (extending into drive) and the other text-book shots are really what I'm looking for. The way one or two of the new cocky guys play they'll score some runs nice and quickly but they wont ever get more than 20 in a match... seriously, first training sessiona nd they're swinging at all the wide ones and trying to switch-hit everything for 6...! Newbies... *groans* :p

I always find batting drills the hardest to come up with as nothing beats batting, than, well, batting!

Maybe get the new guys to focus on a shot at a time, you'll need some decent bowling or throw downs to do so but it may well help them.

maybe you could ask them what they are lacking in and then work to that, why not have targets to aim for, better than aimless practice.

Back