Cmca 2012/13

C,mon SB, when you say 'Fastest I've faced in a net session for a loooong time' that is enough for me. He is the quickest, deadliest in the competition so now all teams are on notice.

clock how is your summary for the last remaining side ESBC going? it seems that you think uniting will take the cake this year, do you think that it will be an ESBC/uniting GF again or will the old fellas run out of steam to the likes of the up and coming kingston heaths and carnegie souths?

All in good time my friend.

C,mon SB, when you say 'Fastest I've faced in a net session for a loooong time' that is enough for me. He is the quickest, deadliest in the competition so now all teams are on notice.
C'mon Clock - you know everyone is 5 yard quicker in the nets :D add a couple more yards for first hit of season, and at least a couple more for all those over 40s!!
All will be revealed I guess - even I'm still waiting to see more of him!

C'mon Clock - you know everyone is 5 yard quicker in the nets :D add a couple more yards for first hit of season, and at least a couple more for all those over 40s!!
All will be revealed I guess - even I'm still waiting to see more of him!
Hey SB, the longy draw has been changed again, looks like your boys are up against uniting.

East Sandringham
The grizzled old lion looked vulnerable too many, but the cunning was still there which made them very dangerous. The Juggernaut continued what has to be one of the longest streaks in any competition winning its 9th Premiership in 11 years, but many were again writing them off being too old. A new coach in Ferguson who moved over from the Ommies raised a few eyebrows. He certainly had a big assignment before him. The Juggernaut were unlucky not to play off in the previous seasons grand final when the weather intervened and robbed them of a definite win against the Hoops. They started their season with three wins and a draw against Uniting and were not overly convincing, but got the job done. Further wins in Round 5 through to 8 just cemented the view that they would be there again. The next two encounters for the Juggernaut were against the upstarts of the competition in the Spiders and the Golfers. The Juggernaut batted first against the Spiders and posted a very respectable 7/236. More than enough many thought, however the Spiders were not having any of that and passed their score with two overs remaining. Without doubt a huge shock, and all the pundits pitied Leroy and the Golfers who would no doubt feel the wrath of the Juggernaut in the Round 10. East Sandringham won the toss and then promptly imploded to record a paltry 103 off 62 overs. The Golfers chased down the score comfortably and everyone wondered if the reign of the Juggernaut was over.

In Round 11 they batted first against the Panthers and were promptly 2/1 and it looked as though it was the end of an era. They recovered to reach 6/269 thanks to an inspiring 114 from Martyn but there were still a lot of questions about the Juggernaut. If they were going to win the flag they would have to do it from 3rd spot and the spectre of rain once again haunted the Juggernaut, but first they had to overcome the Golfers in the cut throat final. The Juggernaut prevailed but were far from convincing and the Golfers lost no friends with their plucky performance. Now they faced the Spiders who had convincingly defeated them in Round 9, but the Spiders were facing their own demons as they capitulated against Uniting.

The Juggernaut were held to a modest 161 and the Spiders at 2/71 looked poised to cause a huge upset. The Juggernaut then cranked it to another level and the Spiders collapsed to lose 8/28 including three run outs, and their season was over. It was the Grand Final everyone wanted to see, but it was hard to tip against Uniting and their formidable line up.

Grand Final week was full of anticipation with many pundits installing Uniting as the favourites; but the spectre of the Old Lion hung in the background. The Juggernaut had stumbled and scratched their way to the Grand Final, and many thought that they had done well to make the big match. The three wise men on 88.3FM were even heard to be umming and ahhing as to the result.

The Juggernaut won the toss and promptly elected to bat and then set about building a score that they could defend. A good opening partnership and then started to lose wickets at regular intervals. Devereaux lifted to carry his bat with a battling 66 n.o and they scratched their way to 9/178 of their allocated 72 overs. You would take that score for a Grand Final and the Juggernaut are masters at choking teams. Many pundits believed Uniting with their immense batting depth would pass the score easily. The Juggernaut struck immediately in day 2 and had Uniting reeling at 1/0, but they recovered to get to 51 before they lost their 2nd wicket. In the end four run outs were to destroy any chances that Uniting had of winning the match, a testimony to the Juggernaut’s constant pressure and Uniting losing their nerve.

The Lion is another year older and already being written off. Perhaps this may occur, however they are the reigning Premiers and until they are dethroned. Uncle Mick sums it up:
What makes you think age catches up with ESBC? Besides Phelan, Wilson & Gibb (I think) they're all on the right side of 35. Hardly getting on. Although Barney's body is battle weary. Duddy is virtually a new recruit this year and I haven't seen him this hungry to play sport since juniors. Along with Marto, Dallas, Singh, Devereaux (who had a year to forget until the big dance) & Corp there's 10 of their mainstays and I can't see them heading south anytime soon.’

The Juggernaut will be there again and by the time finals approach they will be back at their dangerous best. The Old lion awaits in the shadows and anyone who writes them off does so at their own peril.

Likely position: Grand Finalist maybe even Premiers.

Deveraux: 248 @ 20.7
Dallas: 224 @ 20.4
Martyn: 544 @ 45.3
Corp: 360 @ 36.0
Phelan 23 wickets @ 12.7
Wilson 13 wickets @ 23.0
Bennett 11 wickets @ 29.4
Dallas 10 wickets @ 18.9
Singh 9 wickets @ 18.8

Hey SB, the longy draw has been changed again, looks like your boys are up against uniting.
Who knows CC, the draw may change again by the start of the season the way things are going. Still, don't mind playing them first up - give the lads a good look at what the standards are like in Longy for those who've not played it yet.

When is Jimmy Olsen going to provide us with his yearly preview? I look forward to his in depth analysis of the competition. He's a bit like the Mark Robinson of the CMCA.
Maybe he, Hammers and Frank could re name the CMCA cricket show to CMCA 360?

Back