Cmca 2012/13

It's finals time, but why so dead on here. Usually it's buzzing with predictions, and some good old banter.
Don't be shy fellas.... LIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big Cricket ..... LIFT!!!!!!

For wat it's worth congrats to all finalist. Some cracker games to come.

LONG:
B/Uniting to def ANA
Elwood to upset Carnegie

WOOL:
Omega to Def Moorabbin West
B/Uniting to def Sharks

QUINEY:
B/Uniting v Elwood. (flip of the coin both games in QUINEY)
Omega v Carnegie Sth. (what a magnificent and equal grade QUINEY is)

D:
ESBC to def Southside
Irish Shamrocks to def Hampton Central

Congrats to Billy The Kid for a rock solid season of tipping, can't pass the Horlicks trophy onto you because Clock never visited me to deliver it. It might still be in Merlot's "bathroom".
For what its worth:-
Longy
Uniting to beat ANA - ANA match up well with Uniting but home ground, better depth and a big day for Russell will be enough but will be interested to see if Dolman can cause the top 7 at Uniting the same grief he's given the rest of the comp. Lovell will also need to be an impact player for them in finals. Has Chubbs been holding back all season to be fresh for now?
Redbacks to beat Beach Boys - Beach Boys just played their GF but ground should suit their spinners, worry that their batting might not be disciplined enough against Spiders tidy attack but there is a bit to like about them. Upset definitely possible. If Redbacks are to have a serious tilt they will need the imports to fire and a couple of regulars to become March Gods - perhaps Captain Who and Tim Snape who have had moderate seasons.
Wooly
Omega to beat Westars - Despite what some think these 2 are evenly matched and both have a few top liners. Birtchnell might be the point of difference although if Kingston can take out Omega's big guns early he could determine the result.
Coin flip between Uniting and Wash Ups but pick Uniting because their batting goes a bit deeper.

Excitement and intrigue aplenty to come. West Bentleigh should be relegated, but will a premiership from the 1st semi finalists in Woolnough save them? If not, then ANA are spared relegation in Woolnough Shield as WB2 will have to make way - assuming the CMCA don't employ a double promotion/relegation system?? And who comes up? Uniting a serious chance to win it in Quiney Shield, but only 2 points separated 1st to 4th suggesting a tight finals series. Looking forward to seeing how it all pans out.

A couple of post season questions for ESBC.​
1. Did they lose games they should have won this season that may have cost them a legitimate shot at the flag?​
2. Would they be a legitimate threat (like last season) if they were in the top 4?​
3. Is this season the first signs of passing the baton to the next wave of young cricketers coming through the club?​

Thanks Jimmy. Hung on by the smallest margin possibble in the end. Just holding out my good friend Golf. Bragging rights are better than trophies. Trophies just gather dust in the garage.
Longmuir Shield
Bentleigh Uniting
Carnegie South

Woolnough Shield
Omega
Bentleigh Uniting

Quiney Shield
Elwood
Omega

Good luck to all clubs competing in finals. I will enjoy March, dropping in around the grounds and watching some very good cricket being played.

On a sad note, R.I.P. Ricky Hart. A great friend, a great sportsman who gave everything to cricket and football. Especially juniors over the last many years. He went out of his way to support and guide young kids to grow up loving sport and to do the very best you could. You touched so many people at many local sporting clubs.
To Maxine, Sam and Mitch our condolences go out to you.

Interseting you brought up double promotion/ double relegation Uncle Mick. I am not a beliver in this but I am of the opinion that the CMCA needs to bite the bullet and make Longmuir and Woolnough 10 team comps. The bottom few teams in Woolnough make up the numbers every year and lets be honest some of the second XI teams that have been there over the last few seasons would be lucky to finish mid table in Quiney. There would be 9 2 day games which is fair for all and it can only make the comp a better standard.

I'm not sure I see the value in it, PH. There may be some merit given that Hampton United and Bentleigh ANA have made up 2 of the bottom 3 places in the past 4 seasons of Woolnough, but otherwise it's been a bit of a mixed bag in Longmuir.
  • Elwood had a horror 2011/12 finishing 11th, yet they are playing in a sudden death final 12 months later - having played in a 1st semi the season before last.
  • Under the same system, Mackie would've been relegated 2 seasons ago yet have performed admirably in the past 2 seasons.
  • Carnegie South were 11th three seasons ago. They've since finished 7th, 2nd & 3rd (not including finals) the following 3 years.
  • Kingston Heath finished 10th in the same year (meaning relegation in a 10 team comp), yet 2 seasons later played off in a 1st semi having 4 wins in both seasons either side of their finals appearance.

Congrats to Billy The Kid for a rock solid season of tipping, can't pass the Horlicks trophy onto you because Clock never visited me to deliver it. It might still be in Merlot's "bathroom".
For what its worth:-
Longy
Uniting to beat ANA - ANA match up well with Uniting but home ground, better depth and a big day for Russell will be enough but will be interested to see if Dolman can cause the top 7 at Uniting the same grief he's given the rest of the comp. Lovell will also need to be an impact player for them in finals. Has Chubbs been holding back all season to be fresh for now?
Redbacks to beat Beach Boys - Beach Boys just played their GF but ground should suit their spinners, worry that their batting might not be disciplined enough against Spiders tidy attack but there is a bit to like about them. Upset definitely possible. If Redbacks are to have a serious tilt they will need the imports to fire and a couple of regulars to become March Gods - perhaps Captain Who and Tim Snape who have had moderate seasons.
Wooly
Omega to beat Westars - Despite what some think these 2 are evenly matched and both have a few top liners. Birtchnell might be the point of difference although if Kingston can take out Omega's big guns early he could determine the result.
Coin flip between Uniting and Wash Ups but pick Uniting because their batting goes a bit deeper.

All of our last 3 games have practically been finals..
If we had lost a game, it was season over.. Boys are primed and nothing changes, just another game we must not lose.

Bentleigh Uniting vs Bentleigh ANA - not the sort of form ANA want going into a finals series, however if Backman (53 @ 10.6 in his last 5 hits) is still opening, they're in with a chance.
Carnegie South vs Elwood - like old mate Quasi I haven't shown the Spiders enough respect. Elwood right in with a chance here though.

Omega vs Moorabbin West - arguably the best opening pair with the ball in this grade versus the deepest batting line up. Kingston & Cross will do their job, but not sure it wil be enough. Good momentum for MW after last week's win will give them belief.
Bentleigh Uniting vs Washington Park - if Tim Bisbane (346 @ 115.3 in his last 4 hits) is still playing, I'm at a complete loss and so will Wash Ups be. Either way, Uniting win.

Elwood vs Bentleigh Uniting - Units to make it 3 from 3 in the top 3 grades this weekend.
Omega vs Carnegie South - Ommies got up against the same side last week. Expect the same.

East Sandringham vs Southside - gold caps in front of their home crowd to reverse the outright result from earlier this season.
Hampton Central vs Shamrock - Centrals in a canter. Amoore to get plenty.

Melbourne Hellenic vs Elwood - Hellenic couldn't chase down 61 in a final last season. Can't handle pressure.
Cheltenham Park vs Hampton Central - if Ned Fallon plays, Hampton Central win. Otherwise, Sotiriadis to bowl Chelt Park to a win.

Elwood vs West Bentleigh - Old Screwballs with runs. Dave May to take a bag.
Omega vs Hampton United - Mick Aldred played in this Rd.2 fixture and ended up umpiring. Can't have much faith in a side whose player turns his back on them to take up umpiring.

Mackie vs Aspendale Gardens - some handy names getting around for the Gardens.
Brighton District vs Bentleigh Uniting - big weekend for the club brett keeps telling me I pick on.

Aspendale vs Mackie - wishing Aspendale all the best after a tragic weekend just gone.
Southside vs West Bentleigh - Sager & Newey to have a big say in reversing last week's result.

East Bentleigh Central vs Melbourne Hellenic - saw the I Grade coffee grinders 2 weeks ago. Pants rolled up, sleeves rolled up, no body hair. Didn't look much interested in the cricket as they were in tanning up. BYO coconut oil.
Highett West vs Brighton District - oddly enough these teams haven't met this season, even though both teams have played 3 other sides twice.

Good luck to all this weekend.

Might be lucky for Tommy.B that Uncle Mick is not on Unitings selection panel!!
"Birtchnell might be the point of difference" - apparently not given he is suspended.
Good luck RDH, no rhyme or reason for my thoughts but history just tells us weird stuff sometimes.

Might be lucky for Tommy.B that Uncle Mick is not on Unitings selection panel!!
"Birtchnell might be the point of difference" - apparently not given he is suspended.
Good luck RDH, no rhyme or reason for my thoughts but history just tells us weird stuff sometimes.

Indeed. Although, I'm not privvy to the inner sanctum of brett's club. We saw last year after ESBC persisted with Cracker that backing your players can pay off. However, ESBC didn't have a back up opener smashing the door down to get a spot. Not to mention UM has a man crush on T. Brisbane.

Poor timing from Birtchnell on the weekend. Let his team down with a brain fade and their #2 spinner untried as a 1st XI cricketer.

Semi Finals week

Bentleigh Uniting vs Bentleigh ANA - ANA rely very heavily on Biggs with the bat and Dolman and Lee with the ball. Uniting might have too many good players for ANA who some are due for a good finals series, but don't write ANA off.
Carnegie South vs Elwood - Two sides who both bowl very well and perhaps the Spiders just.

Omega vs Moorabbin West - West did beat Omega in round 1, but that was a long time ago and in a 1 dayer. Omega might have too many good batsman that can control the good opening bowlers of West.
Bentleigh Uniting vs Washington Park - a tough game to pick, Washington have done really well to make the finals in their 1st year in Woolnough, but Uniting in a close game.

Good luck to all teams that are participating in the finals this week in all grades.

Longy.
Uniting. Seem to have too many impact players. However when you go in as underdogs you play with a bit more freedom.

Spiders. A really disciplined bowling attack should see them through.

Woolnough.

Us. Should be a very good game. Both teams are in form.

Uniting. Their depth esp in their batting should see them through.

Round 11 Preview
Wash Ups over Cowboys comfortably (Try as they might, West Bentleigh probably deserve to be relegated and even though the one-day format suits them better, you cannot see them making more than 150 runs. Cleary and De Silva to do the damage for the home side).
Uniting over Union just (One dayers are never lay down misere’s so I suspect we will see some upsets this round. However, who on earth would tip one here? Union to give a little but Lalor and Russell to cash in on the second string bowlers).

ESBC over The Golfers just (I want to select The Heath here, but I cannot bring myself to do so. I feel The Juggies may be flat after last week’s near miss, but they still have many multiple premiership players in their team and someone like Anton Duddy or Cracker is likely to pounce).

Carn Sth over ANA just (I have under-rated the Spiders all year and they will most probably lose as I have tipped them, but I maintain that their bowling depth is better than the Royals and this could prove the difference. John Collison to clean up).
Chelsea over Le Page just (With percentage so even a narrow loss may be enough for the Panthers to stay in Longmuir, but they will no doubt be thinking positively. The Heighters won comfortably last time out and have that blend of youth and experience that should see them do enough. Won’t be a walk in the park for them though).
Elwood over Mackie (The finals actually begin tomorrow as suddenly The Beach Boys can pinch 4th place with a win at home to Mackie. Should be a cracking contest, but I will lean towards quality spin – Chawla and De Haan - over quality quicks - Kinsella and Park just. Damien Krotofil’s contribution will be crucial as always and the Machine’s finals hopes possibly rest on his bat).

Round 11 Review

5/6 (42/66) caps off a mediocre year of tipping, full credit to those who predicted more accurately.

They say that alcohol is a great leveller, well the same can be said for the one day format the CMCA has in place for Longmuir Shield. No doubt the teams are more evenly matched when one has to share the load amongst at least 5 bowlers.

In the match of the round at Elwood the home side triumphed and sent The Machine packing in a thriller. Steady batting by Chawla in the end proving crucial after Mackie had looked the winner earlier in the day. Heartbreak for stalwarts such as the Park brothers and Buddha as The Machine must lament an opportunity missed. At the other end of the table, Le Page have hit their straps at the right end of the season and will now escape the drop thanks to a crushing win over Chelsea. Mentiplay, McConchie and Greer the key contributors in a season where the Panthers looked certainties for the drop until a morale building win over West in Round 10. As for the Cowboys, they will play Woolnough in 2013/14 after a valiant, but unsuccessful run chase against the Sharks. Too little batting depth plagued the Sky Blues for much of the season, while the Wash Ups have made a more than competitive return to the top flight. Uniting and East Sandy barely raised a sweat in their fixtures. But it has been a season of largely inconsistent performances from The Juggies who won’t know what to do with themselves this March. Finally ANA had an excellent hit out against another finals team in the Spiders who would be rapt with Tommy Lewis’ return to form with the blade. Perhaps the most impressive stat for the Royals were the even contributions in attaining the points

I will quickly review my predicted ladder from back in October:
1. Bentleigh Uniting (Like they even needed Manders to be a contender! The ones to beat).
2. ESBC (The only chance of stopping the Juggies is knocking them over in the semi or prelim; otherwise they will win the flag again).
3. Bent ANA (Could get this one completely wrong, but the Royals look set for a good season with solid structures in place. Biggs and Dolman to dominate).
4. Le Page Park (Even without McConch they look strong and have recruited well)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. Carnegie Sth (Opposition coaches have been plotting their demise all winter and although they have solid structures in place, will just fall short).
6. Washington Park (Expect the Wash Ups to immediately competitive in the top flight. Perhaps the best run club in the competition).
7. Elwood (Still maintain they are a reasonable side and the absence of Marshall could prove a blessing in disguise).
8. Kingston Heath (Too many personnel losses for the Golfers unfortunately)
9. Chelsea Heights (Many are selecting the Heighters as the big improvers of 2012/13, however I am yet to be convinced).
10. Mackie (To much left to the veterans for the Machine to be a major player. Could finish anywhere between 6-10).
11. West Bentleigh (Ditto the Mackie comment. The Cowboys have relied on Marc Reid and Damien Casey for too long)
12. Brighton Union (I suspect one may require 4 wins to be safe from relegation this year, but Union seemingly have more internal problems than Rome in 434 AD, so I will select them for the Spoon).

Positives – Predicting ANA for the finals and the Wash Ups for mid table were about the only truths.

Negatives – Like everyone else, overrated ESBC and I also got Le Page completely wrong and under-rated Mackie

2nd Semi Final Preview

Uniting over ANA just (I expect the Royals to be in this one all the way as Biggsy and Dolman have had quality seasons and their attacking structures have left many a team in their wake. One cannot go past Uniting’s depth however, and any Batting order that boasts Richards, Russell, Lalor and Manders should be unbeatable at this level. If Uniting win the toss and put the runs on the board I suspect the margin could be greater, but runs on the board of over 200 by ANA will see Glen Lalor experience a few nervous moments. Big names always step up in finals, so I will look for key contributions from Ash Russell and Chubbs).

1st Semi Final Preview

Spiders over Elwood just (I want to tip Elwood, but Carnegie have proved me wrong too often so I will not. Something tells me this will be very close though as the Beach Boys possess the ‘Spin Twins’ that could turn the game in their favour. The neutrality of Packer Park may also be a factor and it is a pitch that gives the pacemen little, but the spinners a bit, so unless Lewis or Perera can get set, I reckon the Spiders may struggle to post a competitive score. Still, Carnegie have arguably the most disciplined bowling attack in the competition and Rudy Schleiger took a ‘six for’ last time these two met, so I will side with the Red and Black Army by a whisker. Could be a typical Semi where 150 or so is defended. Tommy Lewis to be best afield).

Good luck to all

Quasi

Back